It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious radio signal traced to dwarf galaxy 3 billion light-years away

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

That is very interesting!

So the little buggers DO have super massive black holes! In that case I wonder what percentage of the mass in that little galaxies SBH is when compared to the mass of the rest of the dwarf galaxy!?

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   
When Galaxies Collide...

This is a really cool 1+ minute animation of how the collision between our Milky Way galaxy and our neighboring Andromeda galaxy may occur.

They do a little dance for a couple billion years then finally come together as one.

Quite beautiful actually!

edit on 1/5/2017 by UberL33t because: typos

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
So I'm not one of those science guys and my understanding of
My understanding of radio signals is a bit better and I know that they travel slower than light.

Radio and light are two forms of the same thing.; they are all electromagnetic radiation carried by photons, and they all travel at the speed of light trough vacuum.

Gamma rays, X-rays, Ultraviolet radiation, visible light, Infrared, microwaves and radio are all EM radiation and all travel at the same speed.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Just some fun information I found about an invention that apparently makes radio waves travel FASTER than light:

A scientist has created a gadget that can make radio waves travel faster than light. Einstein predicted that particles and information can’t travel faster than the speed of light, but phenomena like radio waves are a different story, said John Singleton, who works at the Los Alamos National Laboratory. The polarization synchrotron combines the waves with a rapidly spinning magnetic field, and the result could explain why pulsars — which are super-dense spinning stars that are a subclass of neutron stars — emit such powerful signals, a phenomenon that has baffled many scientists. Singleton said the polarization synchrotron basically abuses radio waves so severely that they finally give in and travel faster than light. This may be what happens in pulsars, as well.

In relation to pulsars:

“Pulsars are rapidly rotating neutron stars that emit radio waves in pulses, but what we don’t know is why these pulses are so bright or why they travel such long distances,” Singleton said. “What we think is these are transmitting the same way our machine does.”

A bit more info about this incredible machine:

The device consists of a 2 meter-long gently curving arc of alumina (a dielectric material), with a series of electrodes fitted at regular intervals along its length. Applying a sinusoidal voltage across each electrode and displacing the phase of the voltage very slightly from one electrode to the next generates a sinusoidally-varying polarization pattern that moves along the device. By carefully adjusting the frequency of the voltage and the phase displacement the researchers say they can make the wave travel at greater than the speed of light. However no physical quantity of charge travels faster than light speed.

SOURCE ARTICLE
Read the scientific paper hosted by Cornell University: HERE
edit on 152017 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
The only thing they know for sure is that it's apparently Twofer Tuesday in that galaxy, and if you're the 101st caller you get free concert tickets.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I was very interested in the original post and the idea is amazing until you link to CNN. When are we going to just knock it off with CNN?

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: gernblan
I was very interested in the original post and the idea is amazing until you link to CNN. When are we going to just knock it off with CNN?

It is just the link to that article. I am sure there are plenty of others if you google it.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Or not even in the same area of our night sky today.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 02:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: TamtammyMacx

Or not even in the same area of our night sky today.

That's an absolute. That light has been travelling for 3 billion years our way. At the time that light began its journey, it's possible simple life on Earth was in its infancy. Now that's awesome!
3.7-Billion-Year-Old Rock May Hold Earth's Oldest Fossils

According to the scientists, the new discovery, detailed online today (Aug. 31) in the journal Nature, supports theories that life on Earth originated during the so-called Hadean eon more than 4 billion years ago, a period of intense volcanic activity when large meteorites and icy comets frequently bombarded Earth. This was also the time when the first bodies of water formed on the planet's surface.

edit on 6-1-2017 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join