It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

B-52 drops engine near Minot

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Bfirez

They were testing the TF39 for the C-5 program.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 02:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: Natas0114
a reply to: rickymouse

Me too! Unfortunately I'd be fighting off rednecks who'd want to scrap it....

The price of scrap is really low right now so you might have it easy till the price goes up again.

The turbine blades of a old F4 Phantom II go for around $5 a pound.
Newer aircraft can range from $15 to 25 dollars a pound.
www.scrapmetaljunkie.com...
Some scrap does not fluctuate like others.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Not the first time and probably will not be the last time, those things are not getting any younger, and Aircraft maintenance is not getting any better.

0054 now called the Mud Buff, want to say it happened early '90s she was a hanger queen when I got to barksdale in '98, dropped 2 off one side and 1 off the other.

There is a very good reason I am glad my wife is leaving the flying career field in the USAF, I dont really trust it anymore.
edit on 6-1-2017 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: ANNED

originally posted by: Natas0114
a reply to: rickymouse

Me too! Unfortunately I'd be fighting off rednecks who'd want to scrap it....

The price of scrap is really low right now so you might have it easy till the price goes up again.

The turbine blades of a old F4 Phantom II go for around $5 a pound.
Newer aircraft can range from $15 to 25 dollars a pound.
www.scrapmetaljunkie.com...
Some scrap does not fluctuate like others.

Back about twenty five years ago the local airbase had an auction and in the auction there was a brand new engine for a fighter engine that went for three hundred bucks. It was missing the fuel system parts and the auctioneer said it was expensive so I never bid on it. A scrap collector wound up getting the engine. The engine was shipped to the base and they didn't even have anything there it fit so they hid the expensive purchase by auctioning it off. I bid on some stuff there but didn't get anything, I just bid on a bunch of fiberglass stepladders but those went pretty high, at least twenty five percent of what the new price would have been. I only went to about three of those auctions, they did not have much I was interested in but it was a social event here to go. I bid on a portable remote center building they dropped by helicoptor on site, but that went for over five hundred bucks. I bought a big panel truck for two hundred bucks from another government agency to put on the job sites, that was way better. It had an eight by twelve box.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Ohhh. want a B52 engine on display in my yard. Why didn't it fall off and land in MY back yard. I'd cover it with a tarp so it looked like a woodpile till they quit looking for it.

Just wondering how far down one would dig to retrieve it...

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

Probably not more than 4-5 feet at the most.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

I would have thought that would depend on the height from which it was dropped, the angle of descent, and the angle of impact, with regard to the orientation of the actual object, whether it hit end on, or landed with its length against the ground.

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

The ground type plays a role too. It appears to have landed in a river bed, which could mean mud, but as cold as it's been around Minot, it's frozen, so it's probably laying on the ground in a small crater, buried by snow.

Meanwhile, SecAF is playing Captain Obvious. She announced that uncontained engine failure is the most likely cause.
edit on 1/6/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join