It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Bureau of Meteorology reports Sydney has hottest year on record

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Regardless of where your stance is on Anthropogenic Climate Change, its hard to argue with the data that is stacking up that things are indeed changing with each year getting hotter and hotter, as well as the unusual variations that seem to be plaguing our weather cycles such as those crazy Low pressure polar vortex systems forming over the US

www.9news.com.au...

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Lets shoot this down with science earth is 4 500 000 000 years old to be 95 percent with a confidence level of 1 you need a sample size of 9604 years of data...O Dear epic fail

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Another example of sensationalising data by twisting the figures to gain a result.

It is Not the Hottest Year on record in that region.

It IS a year in which temperature have been " Slightly above the AVERAGE temperature".

The average temperature is worked out over...say 100 years of data......

Which means, the colder years, lower the "average" temperature, as the warmer years increase the "average" temperature.

We have had a few colder years in recent times, therefore the "Average Temperature" is lowered.

When we have a "Normal" or warm year......Bingo...We are above the Average temperature (in this case by only .77 deg).

Australia was in a drought period in the 90s to early 2000s..... In the past few years, we have been in a cold and wet period.

Soon, we will return to a drought period...............it happens, always has, like every other continent on Earth. Usually every 10-15 years or so......
edit on 4-1-2017 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: gort51

Ok so if the average is the highest its ever been, and there have more days over 25 degrees and 30 degrees, does that not make it hotter than the previous record holding year? Yes or no?

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: gort51
Another example of sensationalising data by twisting the figures to gain a result.

It is Not the Hottest Year on record in that region.

It IS a year in which temperature have been " Slightly above the AVERAGE temperature".

The average temperature is worked out over...say 100 years of data......

Which means, the colder years, lower the "average" temperature, as the warmer years increase the "average" temperature.

We have had a few colder years in recent times, therefore the "Average Temperature" is lowered.

When we have a "Normal" or warm year......Bingo...We are above the Average temperature (in this case by only .77 deg).

Australia was in a drought period in the 90s to early 2000s..... In the past few years, we have been in a cold and wet period.

Soon, we will return to a drought period...............it happens, always has, like every other continent on Earth. Usually every 10-15 years or so......

Thank God you cleared that up for us. We're to believe an internet forum poster of the Australian Bureau of Meteorology. Thank you so much for dropping by cuz for a second there I thought the stories about the coming Ice Age were fake news.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: BeReasonable

Must have been a lot of white pointers at Bondi that arvo

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 01:49 AM
link   
And i should piont out that melbourne has propably the coolest summer so far, one day it was the coolest in 21 years.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: BeReasonable

Cant beleive this get airplay but the fact that Indonsenia has severed milit-tree links with Australia does not even get a mention. still dont know why yet but then I dont listen to TV or radio.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Actaully no, it is the hottest.
No sensationalizing needed.

www.9news.com.au...

Sydney has sweltered through its hottest year on record in 2016, with the city’s maximum temperatures reaching at least one degree Celsius above average every month.
Both day and night temperatures were above average throughout the year.

You can pretend your smarter than everyone on the planet and that this isnt happening, but yes, it has been the hottest no matter what you say.

How's this,

yesterday in my part of Australia it was 41oC (thats 105o F)
24hours later it was 25oC (thats 77oF) and rain clouds

the weathers changing like I have never seen before in my 30 + years.

and yes, i understand records go back xxx decades.. but this last century whats changed?

industrial er'a
mining
deforestation
nuclear power

we have drastically changed this ''cycle''

I dont know whats going to happen.. but its changing like we've never seen before

posted on Jan, 17 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   

ok its clearly all in my head

www.9news.com.au...

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Sidney records hottest year on record. The globe must be warming.

wait a minute....

Toronto records coldest month ever
www.thestar.com...

Guelph matches coldest February in its history
www.ctvnews.ca...

14 Wisconsin cities observe coldest winter on record
www.waow.com...

Edmonton shatters cold record
www.edmontonjournal.com...

I could continue but I won't. this global warming thing is sure putting a chill on, brrrrr.

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: bronco73

Those records you cite aren't very current and don't have much to do with annual averages. However, just because the planet is warming on average it doesn't mean that there won't be cold weather.

In the US there have been 171 all time high temperature records set (high max and high min) in the past 365 days. Compared to 20 all time low temperature records.

Globally there have been 395 all time high temperature records set, compared to 70 all time lows.

These are not "highest for the day" or "lowest for the month" records. These are the highest and lowest temperatures recorded at individual locations. The all time highs have been consistently outpacing the all time lows for years. This does not seem to indicate that the planet is cooling.

www.ncdc.noaa.gov...
edit on 1/19/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
El Ninõ just finished, La Ninã just started. Have you been to the US this winter?

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

These are not "highest for the day" or "lowest for the month" records. These are the highest and lowest temperatures recorded at individual locations. The all time highs have been consistently outpacing the all time lows for years. This does not seem to indicate that the planet is cooling.

www.ncdc.noaa.gov...

For a station to be considered for any parameter, it must have a minimum of 30 years of data with more than 182 days complete each year. This is effectively a "30-year record of service"

This tool provides simplistic counts of records to provide insight into recent climate behavior, but is not a definitive way to identify trends in the number of records set over time.

Can we look at those numbers only including stations that have at least 100 years of data? 30 years doesn't seem to be long enough does it?

edit on 20-1-2017 by D8Tee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee
You can get the data here:
www.ncdc.noaa.gov...

30 years is sufficient to note that there are far more all time high temperature records than all time low temperature records over the past 30 years (at least). This does not seem to indicate that the planet is cooling.

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

30 years is sufficient to note that there are far more all time high temperature records than all time low temperature records over the past 30 years (at least)

Yes, and of note, there are plenty (I'm not going to count them) 100 year or longer records in there that were being broken as well. North America is in a warming trend.
Would you know if NASA has released data from their C02 monitoring satellite? In a graphical format, overlaid onto the planet so one can see where the C02 is being generated?

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Equal hottest minimum temperature 28 degrees celsius last night,last recorded in 1940-Brisbane Australia

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

Like this?

posted on Jan, 20 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   

ughhh, i will not know till the first of the month, my isp has youtube blocked until my data limit resets lol. I will revisit the link when I get more data. Any still images? I can get onto most sites.

top topics

join