It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House GOP Gives Staff Broader New Powers to Grill Witnesses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Looks like something new in a U.S. House rules package has emerged.

Apparently witnesses can now be called in front of Committees with only staff people present, and not the elected officials.

I imagine the questions would be the same and the actual Committee Members would make final decisions.

I also imagine many will see this as some kind of ultra-authoritarian move towards a total police state !

House GOP Gives Staff Broader New Powers to Grill Witnesses

A little-noticed provision approved Tuesday by the U.S. House dramatically expands the powers of committee staff to haul private citizens and government officials to Capitol Hill to be questioned under oath -- without any lawmakers present, in some cases.

The Republican-authored change included in a House rules package marks what Democrats says is a disturbing trend of giving staff powers that have traditionally been reserved for members of Congress.

“After spending six years demonstrating their eagerness to spend taxpayer money on wasteful, politically motivated witch hunts, Republicans are giving themselves additional tools to do more of the same," said Representative Louise Slaughter of New York, the top Democrat on the House Rules Committee.

A spokeswoman for the Rules Committee said the authority was used in the previous Congress several times, including by the Energy and Commerce Committee to obtain documents involving drinking water problems in Flint, Michigan.

extra link to the House vote page ....
House 115th Congress

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   

A little-noticed provision approved Tuesday by the U.S. House dramatically expands the powers of committee staff to haul private citizens and government officials to Capitol Hill to be questioned under oath -- without any lawmakers present, in some cases.

I don't have a problem with it.

Especially after watching the Comey show on capital hill, and certain lawmakers trolling the hearings.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   
They wouldn`t add this rule if they weren`t planning on using it, these next 4 years will be interesting.
They must be planning on questioning a lot of people so many in fact that they won`t have the time to question them all personally so they are going to need staff members to help out.
This is going to be a bad 4 years for the democrats.
I wonder how many democrats will be left still standing ,in Washington, after the swamp is drained?
edit on 4-1-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Be a good way to haul those celebrities that tried to influence the election. Trying to undermine the electoral college and Congress. Maybe even Soros for paying demonstrators to cause problems and undermine our country.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   
This creates jobs, how?

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
This creates jobs, how?

Are you in the right topic?

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

It doesn't. It's just another way for them to distract from the things that matter with new witch hunts. Infrastructure, health care, fixing the VA? Those can wait because now they can have staff members question Hillary's former IT guy (facepalm).

Although I guess it's good if you don't actually want them to carry through on any of their pledges.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   
wanted, congressional aide, experienced in waterboarding..

sorry, but this is an expression of what was the first thing to come to my mind.
maybe they are just planning on having more investigations and think they need some help.
but another possibility is that they are hoping these investigations won't get as much attention if it's their aides involved and not themselves?

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Have you been dx with oppositional personality disorder?

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
This creates jobs, how?

Clearly we need to hire staff members to do this. Job creation. Now what does it have to do with the thread?

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I thought that was the anger that won this election. The white people in the rural areas and coal miners, about creating laws that encourage jobs. This is one of several laws the 115th has passed in a few days. None to do with jobs. Now I hear infrastructure is out. So, this law is about giving someone more power over another. Nice, big help.

new topics

top topics

join