It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Julian Assange Lies To Trumpbro Hannity, PE Trump Approves

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Last night Julian Assange did a second interview on Sean Hannity. During this interview he told an obvious and easily disproven lie. Hannity was more than happy to run with it as were several other outlets.

WikiLeaks' Assange: 'A 14-year-old kid could have hacked Podesta' emails

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange told Fox News' Sean Hannity in an exclusive interview that a teenager could have hacked into Hillary Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta's computer and retrieved damaging email messages that the website published during last year's election campaign.

"We published several ... emails which show Podesta responding to a phishing email," Assange said during the first part of the interview, which aired on "Hannity" Tuesday night. "Podesta gave out that his password was the word ‘password’. His own staff said this email that you’ve received, this is totally legitimate. So, this is something ... a 14-year-old kid could have hacked Podesta that way."

What Assange is referring to is an email from the WikiLeaks Podesta Emails archive with the id 22335. Here's an image of the part of the email in question showing also the header details.

(larger image)

Here's the text:

To: john.podesta@gmail.com
Date: 2015-02-19 00:35
Subject: 2 things

Though CAP is still having issues with my email and computer, yours is good to go.

jpodesta
p@ssw0rd

I warn you, the Windows 8 system is VERY different from what we had back at the WH. Might require a tutorial. It's an operating system that is best with touch screens, which we obviously don't have. If you need tech's help, they're at x5683. Otherwise, I can show you some tricks when I get in. I have it on my home computer, and it took a while to get used to completely.

What is being discussed in the email is a new account setup at CAP. CAP is the Center for American Progress. The password in this case is a temporary password that has been set by the IT person who created the account.

It is not a password that was set by John Podesta and it has absolutely nothing to do with John Podesta's Gmail account which is what was hacked.

Julian Assange was deceptive about the nature of the password ("Podesta gave out that his password was the word ‘password’.") and deliberately conflating his deceptive mischaraterization about a temporary password from an unrelated account with the circumstances involving the Podesta email hack in order to push a false narrative.

Here's a sample of the outlets that have picked this up:

D aily Mail UK - Assange says a 14-year-old could have hacked Democratic emails as he reveals John Podesta’s password was 'password'
WND - Assange: Podesta's password was 'password'
Townhall - Assange: Podesta's Password Was 'Password'
American Thinker - Assange reveals Podesta’s password was ‘password’
Market Watch - Assange tells Hannity that Podesta’s password was, um, ‘password’
Daily Caller - Assange: A 14-Year-Old Could Have Hacked Podesta’s Email
The Blaze - Watch: Julian Assange jokes with Sean Hannity about how easy it was to hack John Podesta’s emails
Time - Julian Assange Says a ’14-Year-Old Kid Could Have Hacked Podesta’ Emails
The Gateway Pundit - Julian Assange To Hannity: A 14 Year Old Kid Could Have Hacked Podesta Emails (Video)

And countless others. (those are just some from first two pages of Google results for "assange podesta password")

For some odd reason (*wink* *wink*) President-elect Trump joined in on Twitter:

Ugh.
edit on 2017-1-4 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

+38 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Are you saying the emails are lies ?

Are you saying they were edited ?

Cause, I was offended by the content of the emails.

What difference does it make now, that we have the emails.

+34 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

The fact that he said a 14 year old could do it means just that.

I don't feel as though it was a remarkable comment at all. Phishing someone's password via email could totally be done by a 14 year old.

I think you're looking too much in to this. Let's see what the others think of it.

Peace

+37 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Congrats!

You and only you have managed to do the one thing that no one was able to do in 10 years!

You've caught Assange in a lie!

Except that it's really not a lie.

It's not important who set Podesta's password. Even if it wasn't Podesta, the amount of carelessness shown in the emails that you yourself are quoting show that the DNC had no regard for cybersecurity. Podesta and Co were complacent and just thought they could ride Soros' gravy train to the top.

You're better than this, dude.

+32 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Not anymore.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

Not anymore.

We might not agree with him.

He writes some of the best threads of anyone.

I love honest robust debate.

I like having someone that keep us honest.

It's what ATS is all about

+24 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

That's the real lie.

So many on the left are screaming about the 'truth', but refuse to acknowledge it when it cuts against them.

They'd rather deflect and pretend none of it is real. Disgusting and far worse than I could have ever imagined possible from our country.

Sad. Just sad.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

How do you know the computer at CAP was not the one that was compromised? What if Podesta did not change the password given by the admin and his gmail account was downloaded to an email client like Outlook on the CAP computer? Would that not mean that "p@ssw0rd " could be used to get to all his gmail on that client? If that could be the case then it's really not a lie.
edit on 4-1-2017 by joemoe because: (no reason given)

+30 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
That is pedantically pathetic. You haven't proven Assange lied AT ALL. You really are desperate.

+20 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
14 year olds hack all the time, stuff far more complex than emails.

Why's this OP once again posting fake news? How long does ATS have to put up with his tantrums?

+13 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

Didn't some 16 year old British stoner hack the CIA director's AOL account?

High school stoner who hacked CIA says he'll go to Russia to 'chill with Snowden'

A high-school student in the US who hacked into the personal email account of the director of the CIA has said that he plans to go to Russia to "chill with Snowden" in order to avoid retribution. The tongue-in-cheek comments came after a law-enforcement official said that the US government would seek "to make an example" out of the hacker and his accomplice.

The pair of hackers, who go by the name Crackas With Attitude (CWA), made headlines earlier this week for manipulating AOL in order to gain access to John Brennan's private inbox. CWA has also claimed credit for breaking into the account of Jeh Johnson, the head of the Department of Homeland Security.

CIA... AOL... They're all running together now it seems.

+19 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Give it a break man....Your party lost....The party you supported self imploded off their stupidity....

Rise above man...

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Assange himself hacked the Pentagon and NASA, among others, as a teen.

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I've met 13 year olds that could pull some complex hax off. Hackers don't start at 21... they start when they're really young. You ask around and see when hackers started their hobbies and what they pulled off at those early ages. It'll blow your mind.

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Why you assume Assange was refferring to that particular email?

Assange is certainly referring to this widely reported phishing email.

This appears to be the phishing email that hacked Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta’s Gmail account. Further, The Clinton campaign’s own computer help desk thought it was real email sent by Google, even though the email address had a suspicious “googlemail.com” extension.

The email, with the subject line “*Someone has your password,*” greeted Podesta, “Hi John” and then said, “Someone just used your password to try to sign into your Google Account john.podesta@gmail.com.” Then it offered a time stamp and an IP address in “Location: Ukraine.”

“Google stopped this sign-in attempt. You should change your password immediately.” And it then offered a link to change his password.

“This is a legitimate email,” Charles Delevan at the HFA help desk wrote to Podesta’s chief of staff, Sara Latham. “John needs to change his password immediately, and ensure that two-factor authentication is turned on his account.”

www.cbsnews.com...

edit on 4-1-2017 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
14 year olds hack all the time, stuff far more complex than emails.

Why's this OP once again posting fake news? How long does ATS have to put up with his tantrums?

About 8 years I guess..

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Yes, this is what I thought, too.

I'd like to know more about what happens when you click a phishing email link, like that.

I assume you would be directed to the phishing scam page that asks for your old password and requires you to type in a new one. But that would not really change your password with gmail.

If that is correct, didn't Podesta notice that he didn't have to type in his 'new' password on his other devices?

Couple that with the IT guy that said he accidentally typed "This is a legitimate email" vs. "This is an illegitimate email," and I get a whiff of something very strange. I really don't see why the IT guy didn't explain it was a phishing scam and explicitly tell Podesta not to click the phishing link.

The whole thing is just 'off,' IMO.

ETA: And Podesta could have had the most secure password in the world and still he would have been hacked if it was due to a phishing scam.
edit on 4-1-2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Thread belongs in hoax or LOL.

I'm just happy for proof of life.
edit on 4-1-2017 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Hoax bin.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   

You make too much sense, which seems to scare people. LOL.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join