It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marijuana advocates to hand out joints at Trump inauguration

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

So what defense do the kids who are shy or afraid to speak up do to defend themselves? They go unnoticed in a sea of kids who know how to work the system. I have 3 daughters and 1 son who are all completely different personalities. One is a social genius who can pretty much bs her way out of everything, and I have one who is afraid of her own shadow. One is pretty much rock solid and unshakable and my son is amazingly compassionate while being completely insane when outdoors. It's too hard to categorize a one size fits all drug prevention program, when all kids have different social abilities. Guess what my little social butterfly has had the.world by the ass because she smart and looks like a Barbie doll, guess who also got in all the trouble? Her teachers had no idea she.had a drug problem, and wouldn't accept the idea.she.got em at school. I talked with local PD and my friend who is an attorney for children(guardian ad litem). 3 months later. 1400 $ worth of pills found in.5 lockers of students. PD said 30-40 local robberies had prescription drugs taken that were found in the catch alone. One highschool search in a city with 5 highschools. It's just not possible to stop drug abuse in kids if you give them total freedom and trust blindly. It took 5 years of hard work and alot of time to get my daughter back from xanax. A pill commonly prescribed to adolescents in school everyday. Until you've personally went through it, you don't know sh%t about what it's like to watch your own kids suffer from drug abuse. And I don't care who it offends, I'll do everything I can to stop it from happening to anyone else's kids too. If searching a locker that's public property everyday saves a life what's the problem?

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Natas0114

Ok. I'm going to point out how you are being a hypocrite in your very own words. First you say this:

So what defense do the kids who are shy or afraid to speak up do to defend themselves? They go unnoticed in a sea of kids who know how to work the system. I have 3 daughters and 1 son who are all completely different personalities. One is a social genius who can pretty much bs her way out of everything, and I have one who is afraid of her own shadow. One is pretty much rock solid and unshakable and my son is amazingly compassionate while being completely insane when outdoors.

That's a fair point and alludes to what I was getting at how you can't speak for your children and they are all their own unique personalities. Next we have this:

It's too hard to categorize a one size fits all drug prevention program, when all kids have different social abilities.

I agree, but hard != impossible. Of course we also don't have to have a one size fits all program. I'm open to suggestions that aren't dystopian. The question is why is it that when humans are frustrated with a problem in society the first they flock to is authoritarian reactions to it instead of taking the time to try to work it out reasonably? But that's probably a psychology topic for a different thread.

In any case you follow that up with the following anecdote about your daughter:

Guess what my little social butterfly has had the.world by the ass because she smart and looks like a Barbie doll, guess who also got in all the trouble? Her teachers had no idea she.had a drug problem, and wouldn't accept the idea.she.got em at school. I talked with local PD and my friend who is an attorney for children(guardian ad litem). 3 months later. 1400 $ worth of pills found in.5 lockers of students. PD said 30-40 local robberies had prescription drugs taken that were found in the catch alone. One highschool search in a city with 5 highschools. It's just not possible to stop drug abuse in kids if you give them total freedom and trust blindly. It took 5 years of hard work and alot of time to get my daughter back from xanax. A pill commonly prescribed to adolescents in school everyday. Until you've personally went through it, you don't know sh%t about what it's like to watch your own kids suffer from drug abuse. And I don't care who it offends, I'll do everything I can to stop it from happening to anyone else's kids too. If searching a locker that's public property everyday saves a life what's the problem?

This you use as a justification to pitch an authoritarian "one-size-fits-all" solution to the problem. Hey, by the way and since you brought up your bright daughter, did you know that smart people tend to use drugs more than dumber people? It's a curiosity thing. Smarter people are inherently more curious.

In any case. It's time for MY anecdote. I was a problem child in high school. As I'm sure you are aware I too was a bright kid in school. But I have ADD and I like to procrastinate. By 12th grade I had started smoking pot and drinking alcohol on the regular. I know EXACTLY where this girl is coming from. The only reason I don't/didn't do opiates is because I just don't like the way they make me feel. But I can tell you that drugs were a great release for my cognitive abilities because they altered the familiarity of the way I think. Or in alcohol's case turned my thinking off completely (which for me my brain is constantly throwing ideas into my head so turning it off from time to time is a reprieve).

As well, one of the bigger reasons I started was out of boredom of the content being taught. A dissatisfaction with the teachers teaching garbage history or forcing standardized test down our throats. I can tell you that daily strip searches at school would have pushed me to drugs faster than I was already gravitating towards and on TOP of that would have made me more resistant to seeking out help if I fell into bad times because of it.

But at the end of the day I made my own mistakes. I may have came out fine on the other end, but I STILL don't want to punish others for the things I did. That isn't fair and it CERTAINLY doesn't set a good example for the kids you are trying to educate.
edit on 4-1-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

So do nothing? You do realize you and you student sign paperwork agreeing to not do illegal things and that the highschool is public property, and you have no rights to privacy accept in medical needs. Also by law you have to have your kids there, but once they are there the school staff are supposed to be responsible for their safety and well being. That being said why is Noone accountable for the students behavior once they are on.site? By the way, being a parent isn't as easy as you'd think, and sometimes you will be a hypocrite because you will be put in situations you never ever planned on, and some will make you eat your words, but that's life. In the end, the experience of having kids and raising them is one thing I don't regret, no matter how hard it. I just wish people would put actual well being in front of political correctness.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Have to agree with you.

The reason they are kids is they are not able to make descions rationaly for themself.
Hence for there own saftey they should not be allowed the same freedoms as adults. That includes sex, drinking, driving and the right to private property.

Libitard # seeping into schools is making the education system worse not better.

Kids need tight disipline and supervision.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

there`s a lot of things in life that you don`t have to do but if you are going to them you should know the laws that govern them, the best place to learn about those laws is in a school which specializes in teaching.
They don`t have to go to a public school, they can home schooled, or go to a private school.

if they don`t learn these things while they are in school, when will they learn them? after they have graduated and become adults? who is going to teach them?

they are minors, while they are at school the school is legally responsible for them and for their safety.

allowing kids (or anyone) to make their own decisions without being responsible for those decisions or having to pay the consequences for those decisions is just asking for trouble.

edit on 4-1-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: RedDragon

originally posted by: testingtesting
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

We wouldn't have half the crap we have now in the world If our leaders had a puff together.

They'd probably get paranoid and start WW III. What planet are you guys on where drugs are good lol? Must be trying to rationalize your own vices

That comment is true so how is that not good?

It is hard to fathom how many lives could have been saved if cannabis had never been wrongfully demonized and prohibited.
The negative stigma, which is completely based on lies is the only reason people may get paranoid by the way.

Cannabis was not made illegal because it is a dangerous drug. It was made illegal because, due to a plethora of potential uses, several established industries along with corrupt politicians were and still are threatened by it.

Drugs cannot be subject to broad generalizations if we are to understand them. Most of society perceives drugs with a mentality that is extremely limited and inaccurate thanks to the propaganda and lies of a few power hungry people. That combined with people's tendencies towards apathy and an inability to think for themselves.

So no, drugs are not bad. They all have their different uses and can be extremely valuable and effective given the appropriate circumstance. The negative aspects come from the individual, whether or not they have knowledge, respect, the self-control to partake with moderation, and for the right reasons.

We have receptors in our brain standing by ready to receive drugs. We are meant to have them available to us. How that isn't crystal clear to everybody is baffling to me. How is it that drugs like alcohol, tobacco, prescribed pharmaceuticals are acceptable but illegal drugs are deplorable?

The only reason someone would think like this is because the government told them so. It requires complete ignorance to the true nature of drugs. In reality the legal drugs are very harmful while the ones deemed illegal are much safer than the bs would have you believe.
edit on 4-1-2017 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: RedDragon

originally posted by: testingtesting
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

We wouldn't have half the crap we have now in the world If our leaders had a puff together.

They'd probably get paranoid and start WW III. What planet are you guys on where drugs are good lol? Must be trying to rationalize your own vices

It's not so much about vices in many cases but rather a valid alternative to health conditions. A planet, where medicinal use of marijuana stops seizures, eases anxieties(so much for WWIII) helps ease effect of cancer treatment and much more. Implore you to research.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 03:33 AM
link   
a reply to: EchoesInTime

Will there be enough to last the next four years?

That may be one way to get through it.
I've considered tequila.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: EchoesInTime

Didn't read your article, sorry. But this is wild. I'd be handing out bags of weed if i was there.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 06:33 AM
link   

So that means we should behave like the children are guilty ALL the time? Question. Do you think it would be fair to your other three children who didn't fall into drug use to treat them like drug addicts all the time?

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: RedDragon

I don't even call it a drug it is a natural plant used for thousands of years.
Put it this way If booze and weed were discovered last week booze would be banned. Look at the political reasons why the plant was banned nowt to do with the effects when on it.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

This is so true. Alcohol is scientifically proven to be one of if not the worst drugs you can imbibe. Some even argue worse than heroin because the withdrawal symptoms are the only ones that can kill you. There is no doubt in my mind that if alcohol was the "new hip thing" all the kids and college students were doing then it would be a schedule 1 drug in short order.

I don't even think Prohibition's failure would stop our government from making it illegal again. I'm convinced that the various beer, liquor, and wine lobbies that exist around the states assure that it never happens again. Also the major beer distributor's stranglehold on the NFL probably goes a long way to help too. Notice how the NFL has been dragging its feet on the medical marijuana issue? It's probably not just because of the pharmaceutical companies handing out opiates like candy. Ever watch a football game? Count how many commercials you watch before seeing a beer commercial of some sort.
edit on 5-1-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join