It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marijuana advocates to hand out joints at Trump inauguration

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I've had 4 kids in public schools. They are not helping this epidemic. 99% of the pills prescribed to teens are abused and sold at school. And as a parent who is responsible for my kids, I say they have no damn rights to privacy until they graduate and become working adults. You have no rights to destroy the lives of others just because your a kid. I see your point of view, however, have you been in the realm of middle schools or high school's lately? It's quite disturbing.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlbanArthur

If you want to be technical, it is illegal everywhere since it is illegal federally.

I might decide to go to this.

if you want to be technical; federal jurisdiction is I believe a ten mile radius, with the capitol at its center.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Natas0114

Look. All you are going to do is encourage misbehavior on the kids' part. Nothing makes a kid rebel faster than forcing them to do something they don't like to do. And invasion of privacy is VERY at the top of many teens' grievances being that privacy is a very important aspect of a teen's life and all.

Like I said, I'm all about keeping drugs out of kids' hands, but you are just going to make them clam up and cut out any avenues to root these things out of the schools. Your strategy is just like "Drug free school zones". Laughable and insulting to teenagers' dignity.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Very few teenagers have dignity, or morals anymore. I'm not proud of it, however, they have been treated like adults when the simple fact is they aren't adults. And also do not have the rights of adults. But mostly my problem is with the public schools cover our own ass policies that encourage this stuff by sweeping it under the rug. Public officials need to be accountable for the behavior they permit. And our youth will not learn to be responsible, accountable adults unless shown how.
edit on 142017 by Natas0114 because: Typo

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

So here is what I'm getting from you. You are wanting to punish the students for the lack of accountability of the schools? How does that sound fair?
edit on 4-1-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

yep, the schools have one purpose and one purpose only, to tech,educate them in the subjects they need to learn in order to be a productive law abiding citizens.

it`s not the schools job to be friends with the kids, it`s not their job to provide a safe place for the kids to hide their drugs.
The schools have the right to do whatever it takes to provide a crime free environment for ALL the students to learn in.

allowing kids to break the law in the name of right to privacy is very warped way of thinking and has no place in a 21st century first world country.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus

allowing kids to break the law in the name of right to privacy is very warped way of thinking and has no place in a 21st century first world country.

The hell? That literally defines our legal system. Privacy is a DEEP concern of many Americans. This sounds like, "if you did nothing wrong you have nothing to fear" rhetoric. In fact it looks like you are assuming the kids are all guilty of being drug users first as a premise to blanket search all of them.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

Thank you. Schools are supposed to be about basic education- not a social engineering project to produce future voters of a certain bias.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

And how are you going to educate these students if they intrinsically distrust the educators? You asked me about when I was in high school earlier. I'm 31, so I'm a little removed by high school, but I remember my days there vividly. I HATED everything about high school. I also hated the standardized testing that was forced on me and I damn well know I'd have been a MUCH worse student if I went to school every day and the teachers searched every pocket on my person before entering the school.

link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

We wouldn't have half the crap we have now in the world If our leaders had a puff together.

They'd probably get paranoid and start WW III. What planet are you guys on where drugs are good lol? Must be trying to rationalize your own vices

link   

How are you punishing them if they didn't do anything? Not all kids are druggies. But the ones that are should be punished. If you give them a way to hide from it and continue to do nothing for imaginary rights they don't have, how are you going to curb it? I'm going to take a wild guess that you don't have kids, or are very wealthy and don't have to worry about providing for them till they are 50.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Same way I did. I went to class, took notes, and did my damn homework till I graduated. I was told school was something I had to do if I wanted a good job, and a better life. Noone said that school was supposed to be my freind or safe place to act foolish. Funny that Marine Corps had the same system, and it's pretty easy to see why it works. We don't allow lazy asses, excuses, or safe spaces. We expect 100% effort on your part, and the rewards are earned not given.
edit on 142017 by Natas0114 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Natas0114

How are you punishing them if they didn't do anything? Not all kids are druggies. But the ones that are should be punished. If you give them a way to hide from it and continue to do nothing for imaginary rights they don't have, how are you going to curb it? I'm going to take a wild guess that you don't have kids, or are very wealthy and don't have to worry about providing for them till they are 50.

You may not consider it one, but searching someone EVERY day they go to school just because they may have drugs on them is a punishment. That is straight up prison # right there. Heck it isn't even as bad as a prison since they don't even search THOSE people every day like that.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Same way I did. I went to class, took notes, and did my damn homework till I graduated.

And you represent every teenager ever then?

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
LOL
there is no expectation of privacy at a public high school
if your parents did not explain this to you they did you the disservice not the government

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

No, just the ones who aren't lazy.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

No. The real answer is, "no, just myself". You don't speak for the go getters any more than you speak for the procrastinators. Hell I don't think you even get to speak for your children. They too have their own voice and own opinions on things. So your narrow view on things is no way to judge students of misbehavior.

Like I said, I'm on your side but I AM not on the side of authoritarianism. I'm on the side of treating these kids like humans and the people they are. Giving them respect and also looking for ways to administratively cut down on teen drug use. But good god, why don't you force all public schools to be military academies? At least that insanity would be feasible as opposed to schools being able to realistically search every kid in the school's pockets and locker every day of the school week.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Thank you. Schools are supposed to be about basic education- not a social engineering project to produce future voters of a certain bias.

you mean like religious schools and colleges?

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

That`s right the courts have ruled that when you are in a public place you have no expectation of a right to privacy.

It`s best that the kids learn this while they are in school so that when they become adults they don`t make fools of themselves when they try to board a plane and get searched by the TSA, or when they try to enter a courthouse and get searched by the sheriff and walked through a metal detector,or when they try to enter a stadium or concert venue and get searched, or when they.....

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   

No one makes you board a plane, buying a ticket is part of a contract on your behalf. Subjecting yourself to tsa searches is part of that contract. Same for the concert or stadium. Jesus no one here ever have a civics class???

The courthouse is an entirely different animal.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join