It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Mad Cow Disease Is Found In Goat

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Good question there justme. I wish I could answer it. The scariest thing is how far has this progressed in the 3 years since. This could be so wide spread it's scary. How many different species for crying out loud? Swine, sheep.........
How many of us are already infected?

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by superdude
This could be so wide spread it's scary. How many different species for crying out loud? Swine, sheep.........
How many of us are already infected?

...Do you really want me to answer that superdude?

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by justme1640
from the original lined article

Japan is the only country in Asia to have confirmed cases of BSE and, since October 2001, every cow slaughtered for consumption in the country has been screened for the disease.

Am I the only one confused that it took 3 years to tell us about the goat if the test can be done on each animal -- or are they testing each cow in Japan and 3 years from now might say "Oops that cow you ate 3 years ago had BSE. "

jm

Japan tests each and every cow after it is killed. Once killed and cleaned the carcus is hung in storage, the brain is then sent out for testing. Once the test comes back saying the cow is not infected they can process the carcus and put it into the food chain.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Now how possible is it that this disease has already manifested itself in more animal types than we know? I for one think very possible. What is the gestation period for this presently?

Has already manifested in more animal types than we know or than they tell us? The answer is probably a resounding YES. There are documented cases of entire herds of game animals dying off in the US. It is a strong possiblity that they are dying from this disease. How and why?

First, these grazers (for instance deer) are in close proximity to farms that used or use the feed that is now banned for ruminats. But, and this is a biggie, it is stilled approved for non ruminant animals (chickens, pigs, your pets). It is specualted that they have fed on this feed as scavengers.

Next question - then why aren't the cattle dying off too? Well, this goes back to the incubation period. I believe the standard is something like 30 months before it manifests in cattle. Most cattle slaughtered for consumption are just too young to show the disease. I for one do not feel safe that this means they can't carry it or be infectious just because they don't manifest any symptoms (and I do believe only downed cows are tested in the US). Meanwhile, the deer, etc. live beyond this age and if infected, ultimately die from it.

There is a book called Mad Cow USA that answers all of the questions everyone here is asking. It is availble online for free, you can do a search and find it easily. I read it quite a while ago for perspective, and the more time that goes by the more I think this guy is on the money.

Regarding the author, I am always suspect about these types of publications, but in this case I discovered a previous book regarding another disastorous environmental danger that he had written. It was a topic I was extremely close to years ago, though I never saw his book at the time. Reading it after the fact, I can tell you he was right on the money on that one, while the government and the industry (in that situation) just out and out lied to everyone.

Mad Cow USA is not for the faint of heart!

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   

A remaining loophole, Dr. Hansen said, is allowing rendered matter from cows to be fed to pigs and chickens and rendered pigs and chickens to be fed back to cows. In theory, that sequence could bring the disease full circle, back to cows.
link

After the recent story of other tissues than the standard carrying the prion I am not even sure about whole muscle tissue cuts.
But anything that is not whole can not be trusted. Just as the Government that is in bed the industry can not be trusted.

Any ground meat/poultry, byproducts, renderings, certainly are not sure to be contaminant free.
Bouillon, gellcaps [around your medicines & vitamins] should be included as not safe.

Now you have to wonder if they aren't allowed to feed any animal products to livestock will the fee them to fish in fish farms? My bet is they will do anything, at the consumer's expense.

Can you say 'Aftermath from Atkins?'

[edit on 28-1-2005 by slank]

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   

...Do you really want me to answer that superdude?

Yes I do. I don't think I really want to know the answer, because I think that I might already know the answer......... Sofi - you impress me with your knowledge.

Yes, please answer.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Of course everyone knows that the only way this is transmitted is via feeding animal parts back to the animals.

Its not a disease, just a byproduct of the twisted economic world we live in. Enjoying those "chicken nuggets" guys?

BTW did they know it had happened to the goat beacuse it started mooing?

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The original infectious prion strain introduced into the human population appears to be a disease called fibromuscular dysplasia (FMD). FMD involves actin proteins mis-folding into "a-smooth muscle actin" (a-SMA) - while the fact is not acknowledged officially, FMD is almost certainly caused by an infectious prion.

FMD is seldom diagnosed before a life threatening "event" and 65% of reported cases in the USA are diagnosed in autopsy, with an incidence rate of 1.1% in adults.

www.emedicine.com...

“FMD frequency in the USA: incidence of new cases in adults diagnosed by angiography – 0.6%; diagnosed in autopsy – 1.1%.”

NOTE: Incidence means new cases found yearly, presented as a % of the total population.
Also see Puri, PMID: 10334397.

Here's a table that puts together the stats for FMD incidence in autopsy with reported death stats:

YEAR - DEATHS - TOTAL POP - EST ADULT POP (75%) - 1.1% ADULT POP: FMD incid in autopsy

1999 - 2,391,399 - 279,295,000 - 209,471,250 - 2,304,184
1998 - 2,337,256 - 276,115,000 - 207,086,250 - 2,277,949
1997 - 2,314,245 - 272,912,000 - 204,684,000 - 2,251,524
1996 - 2,314,690 - 269,667,000 - 202,250,250 - 2,224,750
1995 - 2,312,132 - 266,557,000 - 199,917,750 - 2,199,095

Source: Population: Census; Reported Deaths; World Health Organization.

As you can see, nearly 100% of the American population is infected with FMD by adulthood.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   

As you can see, nearly 100% of the American population is infected with FMD by adulthood.

Oh man, this is not very good news...
It's exactly what I was afraid of. Is it, what I have read on many threads here, the "de populancy of the planet"?
Are prions actually the cause? In what I've read it may not be.
Is the cause in the milk supply?
Are our babies at risk by drinking milk? God forbid. I tremble to think of this possibility.
I have to ask the question, since the US government has blocked the testing, is it a man made "plague"?
I, my wife, and my children eat meat.
My baby drinks milk, as do I.
Do want you want with me, take me now, but leave my wife, and especially my kids alone.
Not just America, but the world, wake up! It's not nukes, it's not poor judgement in monetarily terms by the government. This could be the thing that takes us all out.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Do want you want with me, take me now, but leave my wife, and especially my kids alone.
Not just America, but the world, wake up! It's not nukes, it's not poor judgement in monetarily terms by the government. This could be the thing that takes us all out.

I know how you feel - my research results have knocked me on my butt more than once. ...It's overwhelming and it takes a while to come to grips with it all, but eventually, ya, you come out swingin.

...I talked about prevention in one of my previous posts - and that's where it's at. ...These little suckers are everywhere - and the reason why is cuz there's no profit in sterilizing, decontaminating and filtering effectively - or in the clean-up. ...and exposure to toxins, pollution and different contaminants in our food and water make the disease worse.

We really do have to clean up our world - we'll all die if we don't.

...and we need to treat the world's corporations like wayward teenagers. Ground 'em til they clean their room.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   

I have to ask the question, since the US government has blocked the testing, is it a man made "plague"?

Maybe - it could be based on a 'cocktail' of scrapie, herpes, progeria and god knows what else...

OR - it could be an accident that happened when the first vaccines were mass-produced for the military for WWI.

Either way, it's the same problem here and now.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Sofi, I just nominated you for way above. You deserve it.
I don't know where you get your knowledge, but I respect it. I don't throw around my respect very often, so I hope you take it as the compliment as it was meant.

Now are the prions actually what causes this disease? In what I've read, no one is sure. Could it be in the milk supply?
Jeeezus...... Think about that for a moment. How many things are made with milk as an ingredient?
Now a real reach here - I've read that prions must be heated to almost 1000 degrees fareinheit - yes one thousand degrees, to render them useless. There is nothing that is heated to that degree. Is it possible that the belt, the gloves, or the shoes that we wear could transmit this as well?

[edit on 1/29/2005 by superdude]

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Sofi, I just nominated you for way above.

Thanks very much superdude, I'm honored.

Now are the prions actually what causes this disease? In what I've read, no one is sure.

In 1997, Stanley Prusiner got the Nobel Prize for his work on infectious prions, and for explaining how they cause disease. Also, President Bush made prions "select agents" under his anti-terrorism legislation - which is kind of a dead giveaway it's a real problem.

Prion scientists know prions cause disease, and many more than the few that currently are acknowledged.

“…this hypothesis would shed some light on other diseases not presently classified as prion diseases and in the process of ageing.”
* “Prion plaques: molecular tumors. A hypothesis on the etiopathogenesis of prion diseases.” Ossa JE, Machado G, Giraldo MA, McEwen JG. Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Antioquia, Medellin, Colombia. Med Hypotheses. 1995 Feb;44(2):124-6. PMID: 7596306

“Cross-species infection with transmissible spongiform encephalopathy agents may lead to subclinical infection and to adaptation of the infection to new species.”
* “Subclinical scrapie infection in a resistant species: persistence, replication, and adaptation of infectivity during four passages.” Race R, Meade-White K, Raines A, Raymond GJ, Caughey B, Chesebro B. Laboratory of Persistent Viral Diseases, Rocky Mountain Laboratories, 903 S. Fourth Street, Hamilton, MT 59840, USA. J Infect Dis. 2002 Dec 1;186 Suppl 2:S166-70. PMID: 12424693 QUOTE:

“Chronic Subclinical Prion Disease Induced by Low-Dose Inoculum” Received September 24, 2001; J Virol. 2002 March; 76 (5): 2510–2517 Alana M. Thackray,1 Michael A. Klein,2 Adriano Aguzzi,3 and Raymond Bujdoso www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov...

Ie., Understanding the diversity of prions. Nat Cell Biol. 2004 Apr;6(4):290-2. Aguzzi A. Adriano PMID: 15057242
Conformational variations in an infectious protein determine prion strain differences. Nature. 2004 Mar 18;428(6980):323-8. Tanaka M, Chien P, Naber N, Cooke R, Weissman JS. Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology, University of California-San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA. PMID: 15029196

Could it be in the milk supply?
Jeeezus...... Think about that for a moment. How many things are made with milk as an ingredient?

Prions were found in milk some time ago...

UCSF-led researchers have developed a highly sensitive, automated test for detecting prions (PREE-on) that they report significantly improves the accuracy and speed of detecting the various forms of the infectious agent, which causes a set of neurodegenerative diseases, in cattle, sheep, deer and elk.

...there is a large part of the abnormal prion protein that is protease sensitive, and that portion escapes detection by the standard technique. Thus, this traditional method underestimates the level of PrPSc in tissue.

“This finding indicates that previous attempts to quantify BSE and scrapie prions in milk or non-neural tissues, such as muscle, may have underestimated infectious titers by as much as a factor of 10,000, raising the possibility that prions could be present in these products in sufficient quantities to pose risk to humans,” says Safar.

“At present, we have no data on the frequency of sub-clinical prion infections in livestock,” says Safar. “Because most livestock destined for human consumption are slaughtered by two years of age, many animals may be infected but never show clinical signs of central nervous system dysfunction since incubation periods generally exceed three years.”

UCSF-LED TEAM REPORTS NEW TEST IMPROVES DETECTION OF PRIONS IN ANIMALS
www.sciencedaily.com...

Prions are also found in blood and urine. This explains how they get into soil, groundwater, waterways - and drinking water.

Prion transmission in blood and urine: what are the implications for recombinant and urinary-derived gonadotrophins? Hum Reprod. 2002 Oct;17(10):2501-8. Reichl H, Balen A, Jansen CA. PMID: 12351519

Prions also may be spread by insects.

Fly larvae and mites were exposed to brain-infected material and were readily able to transmit scrapie to hamsters. New lines of evidence have confirmed that adult flies are also able to express prion proteins. Several cell types found on the human skin, including keratinocytes, fibroblasts and lymphocytes, are susceptible to the abnormal infective isoform of the prion protein, which transforms the skin to produce a potential target for prion infection.

* Could ectoparasites act as vectors for prion diseases? Int J Dermatol. 2003 Jun;42(6):425-9. Lupi O. Center for Vaccine Development, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, Galveston, TX, USA. PMID: 12786866

...Blood and bio-products, vaccines, food and much more are at risk of being contaminated...

Now a real reach here - I've read that prions must be heated to almost 1000 degrees fareinheit - yes one thousand degrees, to render the useless. There is nothing that is heated to that degree. Is it possible that the belt, the gloves, or the shoes that we wear could transmit this as well?

...I've read that it's possible....

[edit on 30-1-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   

quote:
Now a real reach here - I've read that prions must be heated to almost 1000 degrees fareinheit - yes one thousand degrees, to render the useless. There is nothing that is heated to that degree. Is it possible that the belt, the gloves, or the shoes that we wear could transmit this as well?

...I've read that it's possible....

So assuming that it is possible, this could be the "silent disease" that is the new plague? Speaking for myself. I am more than worried for humanity.......

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   

So assuming that it is possible, this could be the "silent disease" that is the new plague? Speaking for myself. I am more than worried for humanity.......

There is one ray of hope I came across in my research last year, but I'm sorry I cannot provide it at the moment. Apparently there was a study that indicated some people (I believe it was a decent percentage) do have a genetic resistance to developing the disease, even if exposed. If this is true, number one it can't wipe out mankind, and number two, there could be hope for developing a cure or prevention. Of course, someone has to first acknowledge the problem, and that is still a problem.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Relentless

There is one ray of hope I came across in my research last year, but I'm sorry I cannot provide it at the moment. Apparently there was a study that indicated some people (I believe it was a decent percentage) do have a genetic resistance to developing the disease, even if exposed. If this is true, number one it can't wipe out mankind,

...The old "genetic susceptibility" and "genetic resistance" arguments are rooted in Eugenics - and lead to things like concentration camps.

I'm personally not too worried about mankind getting "wiped out" - more about quality of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness...

number two, there could be hope for developing a cure or prevention. Of course, someone has to first acknowledge the problem, and that is still a problem.

There are early diagnostic tests, treatments, vaccines and preventive measures - mostly sitting in the US patent office for the past four years.

It is possible to prevent spread and clean-up the mess - but costly. Regulations that would require new effective measures to be implemented are blocked.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   

...The old "genetic susceptibility" and "genetic resistance" arguments are rooted in Eugenics - and lead to things like concentration camps.

.... So Genetics plays NO role whatsoever?
How does it lead to concentration camps hmm? POLITICS WARPS SCIENCE TO SUIT ITS ADJENDA. Are all Genetists complicit? No I believe not but some usually are, that is no reason to vilify the entire field....

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Originally posted by soficrow

.... So Genetics plays NO role whatsoever?

Peoples' understanding of "genetics" is manipulated to promote the ugly idea that some people are "genetically inferior" and others are "genetically superior."

... The way prions work is:

1. Infectious prions make proteins mutate;
2. Mutated proteins produce mutated cells;
3. Mutated cells build mutated tissue, which builds mutated organs and so on;
4. Sometimes, mutated proteins lead to genetic mutations.

POINT BEING - the 'genetic mutations' are created - they are "acquired," not intrinsic to a 'bloodline.'

...so-called 'genetic susceptibility' is acquired, and results from exposure to infection and various environmental contaminants.

How does it lead to concentration camps hmm?

The ideas of 'genetic' inferiority and superiority are key Eugenics concepts, which attempts to prove "scientifically" that some people are better than others.

Under conditions of social stress, which can be and are created artificially, "survivors" are chosen by such criteria - legitimate or not.

,,,My reference to concentration camps referred to the Eugenic-Nazi link, and the premise that Aryans are genetically superior, while others are genetically inferior, thus not worth feeding...

POLITICS WARPS SCIENCE TO SUIT ITS ADJENDA. Are all Genetists complicit? No I believe not but some usually are, that is no reason to vilify the entire field....

I didn't vilify the entire field - just pointed out that Eugenicists have appropriated the science of "genetics," and are using it as a bandwagon to promote the Eugenics agenda.

.....People would think very differently if they knew the truth:

1. Genetic mutations are caused by exposure to epidemic infections and environmental contaminations;

2. Exposures to infectious prions and other environmental contaminations are preventable; so

3. The current epidemic of genetic mutations is also preventable.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   
pubs.acs.org...

PRION RESEARCH ACCELERATES
Spurred by fears that mad cow disease is spreading to humans, researchers strive to understand abnormal form of brain protein
Stu Borman
C&EN Washington

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cows first become agitated and apprehensive, then lose motor coordination. They begin to stand oddly, stumble, and hurt themselves. Their strange, seemingly compulsive movements make them seem "mad." They have bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), or mad cow disease. In England, cows have gotten it in epidemic numbers. Farmers there have had to destroy more than a million cows affected with or suspected of having the disease, with devastating effects on the beef industry.

In people, changes in sleeping and eating patterns are the first signs of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD). The disease progresses to fatigue and depression, goes on to cause coordination problems and difficulty walking, and eventually results in death. CJD is typically a rare disease of the elderly. But a new type of CJD that recently appeared preferentially targets young people.

CJD and BSE are both transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs)- fatal neurodegenerative disorders characterized by deposits of protein aggregates in the brain. They have been proposed to be prion diseases-ailments transmitted by infectious proteins, rather than by viruses or other traditional infectious agents. But many researchers believe that insufficient evidence has been presented to prove this prion hypothesis conclusively.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
... many researchers believe that insufficient evidence has been presented to prove this prion hypothesis conclusively.

Even so, Bush made prion research illegal under anti-terrorism legislation and also made it illegal for US scientists to talk publicly about prions and prion diseases...

If scientists who speak out end up in Guantanamo, we'll never know what's really going on, will we?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join