It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. to slap tourists with radio chips

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
A controversial trial plan by Homeland Security to keep 'unsavory' aliens from U.S has begun surfacing in the news recently. The RFID chips will be used to track both pedestrians and vehicles entering the US to automatically record when the visitors arrive and leave in the country.

management.silicon.com...

"Through the use of radio frequency technology, we see the potential to not only improve the security of our country, but also to make the most important infrastructure enhancements to the US land borders in more than 50 years."

Look, I'm all for the dog tagging of our US tourists entering boarders because frankly, we're better off safe than sorry. My only concern is that "big brother" might be slowly integrating this security measure into our 'every day' American society, you know softening us up for the eventual acceptance of identification radio chips embedded in our bodies, under our skins.

Could this be reality of a police state 5-10 years down the road?
Perfect the technology now, so that in the future it can be depended upon in delivering when you need it most?

[edit on 28-1-2005 by syntaxer]

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
First we need to tag everyone that gets paid with US tax dollars, so we can track them on the internet & see our dollars at work.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I can't believe the lack of responses this thread has generated so far, with so much importance behind this thread. Folks, our own government is slowly sneaking in Police State technology devices right underneath our noses, and we're letting them. Why? Deny Ignorance or is Ignorance bliss when it involves fear/security.

9/11.. what an assault it was, a full blown assault on our freedoms!

If you're a parent and your child is in school, perhaps you should read this.

www.prweb.com...

Security or Control? which one do you fear most and why?

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I seriously think the ultimate plan is to have us all catalogued, filed and chipped for tracking purposes.

Papers please citizen... have you authority to travel out of state?

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I've been to the US. I liked it - it's a cool place but I don't really see myself going back, not with the current administration anyway. They're a scary bunch of ********. You guys should watch out, it's but a hop and step to tagging everyone. Of this I am convinced.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
It IS a police state already. Every day we see more and more evidence of this. And nobody to stop it either.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I visit my Brother in Charlotte NC every year. Last year, while waiting for my flight home after checking in, I soon noticed that about every 5 minutes there was a broadcast PA message from the department of homeland security. Keep watch.... be alert.... watch out for.... the current threat level is.... etc.... etc.... I personally found it extremely Orwellian.
Keep reminding people that someone somewhere is out to get them.

We're all to be tagged and monitored but it's all for our own safety.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
This is one of those threads that make me go "gaaahhhh!" and my brain shut down.

It's so bad, the edge of the wedge, so obvious, so important!. ....Why didn't you submit this as a news story syntaxer?

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
The U.S is instituting a police state, the warning shot was fired with the first patriot act. What a paradoxical nomenclature, do as we say and you will be a patriot. And yes, little by little laws have ben introduced into our lives so that the ultimate extent of same seems merely an addendum to each addendum before it. The American citizens by and large vehemently defended the PA I, and only mildly kicked up a fuss about its successor.

But the future of this sticking lies within the international zones, for I am sure a tit for tat policy will have Americans seeing red, for example, they won't want to be going abroad and find that their trips to the red light district in Amsterdam is noted, and as well, how will this affect tourism state side.

I have many friends and relatives living in the U.S, and in the last two weeks alone I have refused 3 invitations to visit this year, as I have every year previously at least twice per. Since I no longer have to travel to the US for business, and since after my last trip of last year Canadians started to be fingerprinted on stop-overs, I have made it clear that Paul Martin does not have my fingerprints and if he does not, George Bush certainly will not.

So we will see if this sits well with tourists.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Well this well and truly crosses the US off my travel plans, its easier to get into North Korea or Iran these days (I'm not joking either).

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 06:28 AM
link   
you just gotta love the irony, don't you? I'm sure those guys are laughing their asses off (can I say ass? if not I apologise). To protect your freedom we need to take away your liberty.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I have just got back from a holiday in the US (nyc) the security was very tight, i was even taken aside for a private interview at the airport because the customs guy checking my passport thought i was suspicious looking. I didn't like it at the time but in retrospect i think that after 9/11 they should check people more thoroughly. RFID taging is just to far though, i have been to America over 8 times on holiday but i will not be going back again if they are going to treat me like some kind of criminal and 'track' me 24/7.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeepers_ie
you just gotta love the irony, don't you? I'm sure those guys are laughing their asses off (can I say ass? if not I apologise). To protect your freedom we need to take away your liberty.

Ok, will someone please explain to me how comments like these make any sense? Seriously... what we have here is a thread that has become a bunch of people 'proving' their points about the US with exagerations and missing logic. How does tracking foreign visitors in the US take away american freedoms? How does it take away the freedoms of those visitors, even? It looks like we have a classic case of people saying that something proves their biased political views when, on examination, it doesn't. So the US will track foreign visitors (which it has every right to do)... and, automatically, a group of people on ATS has cried wolf and claimed that this amounts to Americans being tricked into letting their liberty go away so as to '[protect their] freedom.'

Instead of posting a bunch of kneejerk, indignant sensationalism... will a SINGLE PERSON here logically explain how this takes away the rights of american citizens????

Or will people just keep spouting off pre-programmed responses without any thought behind them?

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams

Instead of posting a bunch of kneejerk, indignant sensationalism... will a SINGLE PERSON here logically explain how this takes away the rights of american citizens????

Or will people just keep spouting off pre-programmed responses without any thought behind them?

Why don't you check out this news thread:
www.atsnn.com...

.....Sorry syntaxer - did what I could to get your piece on the news with your name on it - but finally, wrote something myself.

Good thread and thanks for bringing this important topic up for discussion.

BTW - It is very funny that our freedoms are being taken away to protect our freedom...

This form of humor is called irony:

"incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result" and

"the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning"

[edit on 29-1-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   

I visit my Brother in Charlotte NC every year. Last year, while waiting for my flight home after checking in, I soon noticed that about every 5 minutes there was a broadcast PA message from the department of homeland security. Keep watch.... be alert.... watch out for.... the current threat level is.... etc.... etc.... I personally found it extremely Orwellian.

Same as what we have here in the UK, those PA announcements, and have had them for years. You get used to them in the end.

On the topic of RFID tags, I am glad to say we don't have them, and have no plans for them either. On that, I can say that I will not be travelling to the US now, as I for one do not want to be tagged like an animal/treated as a suspect without good cause.

Good intelligence, alertness and following existing (and pre 9/11) security procedures would have prevented 9/11 and any other possible attacks in the future.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
well this is one tourist that wont be spending his holidays in USA

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
[quote

I thought about my comment. I think about that sort of stuff everyday, so don't accuse me of mindlessness. Give people the benefit of the doubt. But that's by the way.

It has been mentioned already that Homeland Security etc is leading to a Police State. I should have said (although I though it was obvious) that I believe that once tracking of visitors becomes normal and accepted it will be a short step to doing the same to US citizens, maybe not all at once but in a piecemeal fashion.

That's how control is exerted and how an entire population ends up doing or accepting something that they would never have countenanced before. Do you think that hitler won his first election by suggesting that all the Jews be gassed? No, he built up fear and hatred over a number of years until that was accepted. An extreme case, I know but it makes my point.

You may have noticed my earlier post in this thread where I mentioned that the visitor tracking would lead to other things. Hey, I hope not but I suspect that I'm right. Therein lies the irony, which has been explained already.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Guys, read the MSNBC story... the Silicon.com story took a sensationalist twist on it.

msnbc.msn.com...

...and...
www.canada.com...

What they are doing is offering to put RFID tags (like a "speed pass" for a tollway) on CARS (not people) that frequently cross the borders (not EVERYONE.) Travelers can opt to take the chip or not. If they take it, they get a green light to go forward without extensive checking (as in the case of someone who travels from their home in Canada to the US for business several times a month.)

There's no way they can tag and follow the people; there's just too many of them. The Silicon article got it wrong.

And if you've ever waited for one of those border crossings, you'd know how much of a relief it would be to have a "speed pass."

Here's a whole bunch of other articles saying that "it's just a speed pass and ONLY for frequent visitor cars" in contrast to the Bad Reporting at Silicon. Here are some of those sources :

www.cnn.com...

www.philly.com...

www.globetechnology.com...

abcnews.go.com...

www.vindy.com...

And SHAME on Silicon.com for not reporting the facts correctly!

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Revelations 13:18
He causes all, the small and the great, the rich and the poor, and the free and the slave, to be given marks on their right hands, or on their foreheads and that no one would be able to buy or to sell, unless he has that mark, the name of the beast or the number of his name. Here is wisdom. He who has understanding, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man. His number is six hundred sixty-six.

Nice to Know. In Hebrew the 'value' of letter 'W' = 6.
666 = www.

Does this ring a bell?

[edit on 30-1-2005 by voorwaarts]

join