It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Olsen Refutes Assange’s Assertion That Russia Wasn't Behind the Hack, Yet Olsen Makes No Sense

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   
According to ABC News, Matt Olsen, a former director of the National Counterterrorism Center and ABC News contributor stated that:

The Russian intelligence services are clearly capable of hiding their tracks, of using a cutout to provide this information to WikiLeaks. There's no way that Assange would have any idea who was behind dropping this information off.

Well, if Russian intelligence services are so capable at hiding their tracks, then how is it that our own intelligence agencies can claim that they picked up on Russian digital fingerprints, footprints, and other evidence all over the hacking “tracks” that could have been so very capably hidden?

For that matter, if hacking tracks can be hidden, then, maybe, just maybe, the real perpetrator of the hack(s) left damning, falsified digital fingerprints, footprints and other evidence to frame the Russians.

I don’t think that Olsen carefully thought out his assertions before he made them to be propagated in the media worldwide.

See: Fugitive Assange Backs Trump in Questioning Russia's Election Hacking Role

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: theworldisnotenough

Indeed.

It is also worth pointing out that Assange disagreeing with Olsen does not equate to Assange "backing" Trump. It merely means that on this particular issue, they appear to have similar attitudes, which is an entirely different thing altogether. Lets not be poisoning a man by association, eh? Thats a particularly effective tool of propagandists and it does not fly with me for that precise reason.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Indeed.

It is also worth pointing out that Assange disagreeing with Olsen does not equate to Assange "backing" Trump. It merely means that on this particular issue, they appear to have similar attitudes, which is an entirely different thing altogether. Lets not be poisoning a man by association, eh? Thats a particularly effective tool of propagandists and it does not fly with me for that precise reason.

And let me say that my original post is in no way to be taken that I am a supporter of Donald Trump. I definitely am not, but I agree with Trump when he says that hacking is very difficult to prove and that anyone sitting on a bed somewhere may be the perpetrator. Why, since 14-year-olds are much better at solving the Rubik's Cube than adults (in a matter of seconds, actually), I'd say that it was some highly skilled 14-year-old somewhere who was behind the hack(s).

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   
This is all politics. Nothing more.

Russians are hacking us all of the time. It's only now the issue serves as a convenient excuse to de-legitimize Trump and his voters. Moreover, all one needs to know is the degree of energy that has gone into condemning the means of the leaks, rather than the substance of those leaks.

Disgusting.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   

The Russian intelligence services are clearly capable of hiding their tracks,

If that is right, how they can tell it was the Russians.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Matt Olsen?

Who the hell is he?

Until proven otherwise, I will go with Wikileaks 10 year track record of veritas (telling the truth).

Matt Olsen....lmao...really?

This "spin" just gets weaker and weaker. It's sad to watch actually...

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Wait, So the proof that Assange can't prove Russians didn't do the hacking is there is no way to prove Russians did the hacking?
I'm alittle confused

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Wait, So the proof that Assange can't prove Russians didn't do the hacking is there is no way to prove Russians did the hacking?
I'm alittle confused

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   

I'm no expert on hacking, but from what I've read about the DNC hacking case, the evidence doesn't come from the WikiLeaks data, but from the computers/servers that were hacked.

Julian Assange is a cyber fence. Maybe he knows who he bought the data from, maybe he doesn't.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: theworldisnotenough
Well, if Russian intelligence services are so capable at hiding their tracks, then how is it that our own intelligence agencies can claim that they picked up on Russian digital fingerprints, footprints, and other evidence all over the hacking “tracks” that could have been so very capably hidden?

Maybe because intelligence agencies would have access to FAR more information security resources than Assange would? Common sense. Try it.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Here's the problem with your OP: You seem to assume that these people actually give the average American any credit when it comes to intelligence or critical thinking skills.

They don't, and quite honestly, that's for a pretty good reason.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam
This is all politics. Nothing more.

Russians are hacking us all of the time. It's only now the issue serves as a convenient excuse to de-legitimize Trump and his voters. Moreover, all one needs to know is the degree of energy that has gone into condemning the means of the leaks, rather than the substance of those leaks.

Disgusting.

Correct.
All governments hack.
I any group should be delegitimized over the email flap... it is the Democratic Party leadership.
The emails exposed them for being hypocritical aholes that cheat and don't care about women, gays and minorities like they profess to doing.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Here's the problem with your OP: You seem to assume that these people actually give the average American any credit when it comes to intelligence or critical thinking skills.

They don't, and quite honestly, that's for a pretty good reason.

Maybe I don't have intelligence or critical thinking skills, but, to me, what you are trying to say is about as clear as mud.

Never assume anything about me or my posts. In all probability, YOU WILL BE WRONG!

Who are "these people" to which you refer... the Russians???

Anyway, among the people who should be included in the list of "persons of interest" in the hacking case should be your very own government which I have come to learn is grossly inferior and supremely dishonest. Why, it's very possible that your own government falsified digital evidence that allegedly points to the Russians. Why, our own government may not have even gone that far. The only things that were falsified may have been the hot-air words that came out of the governmental mouths about the case.

Imagine risking a Third World War over something that is not proven and highly suspect in many ways and in many possible directions.
edit on 4-1-2017 by theworldisnotenough because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Here, let me rephrase to make my original comment easier for you to understand:

Here's the problem with your OP: You seem to assume that these talking heads and "contributors" that you see on TV, along with people in our government, actually give the average American any credit when it comes to our ability to employ critical thinking skills and use our intelligence to determine when something seems like it's based on a foundation of bulls**t. They don't--they think that they can say whatever they want and manipulate us with their "facts" and that we'll just blindly believe.

Most Americans are easily swayed by such tactics, but luckily, there are those of us who are not, and we can see through the garbage that they claim as being the "reality" and actually determine for ourselves which version of reality makes more sense or has more believability.

So, I wasn't insulting you in any way, and I was not talking about the Russians at all. I actually agree that the most probably explanation for the hack was a disgruntled DNC person--they pissed off a LOT of people with their manipulation of Bernie Sanders and, quite honestly, for putting Hillary up as their candidate.

Relax...I'm on your side on this one.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Good point, but I don't care who "hacked" the DNC.

The information released was the truth. We know that because the Democratic party did not try to dispute the validity of the emails, and instead went right onto attacking the messenger.

I put hacked in quotes because more than likely this "hacker" was someone in the dem party.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   

For that matter, if hacking tracks can be hidden, then, maybe, just maybe, the real perpetrator of the hack(s) left damning, falsified digital fingerprints, footprints and other evidence to frame the Russians. 

This^^^

top topics

join