It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Marching Tornados from Talladega College

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   
It appears that the marching band from an all black school will perform at Trumps inauguration. They are receiving both criticism and applause for their decision.

www.bbc.co.uk...

The Marching Tornados from Talladega College have accepted an invitation to the event on 20 January, according to ceremony organisers. That's despite other black schools refusing to take part. Former members of the school say they're "horrified" by the decision. Talledega College is a known as a historically black college (HBCU). These colleges were originally created to help black Americans.

It is strange that people call Trump a racist, when there is no proof of him being a racist. Not only that, it seems that the ones that are leading the way to perform are black. It appears that healing has begun, and the performers for the Inauguration are leading by example. I will be one of the ones who applaud them.
edit on 3-1-2017 by 3daysgone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: 3daysgone

It's ok. Trump's white. And he's not a leftist.

It's now socially acceptable to call him and anyone who supports him as racist, sexist, bigoted, xenophobes.

I think he stabs kittens also.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

For real man. It is past the point that you just want to ignore them, but if we do that, then we have learned nothing from the Obama administration. Discussion cannot be cut off.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   

This is what happens when you don't obey their authoritarian dictates.

Should have just voted for Hillary.

But enjoy the antics. They will make themselves look like complete idiots.

I say let them.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I wonder if any band members or administrators are asking to not be included ?

Similar to the Rockettes thing.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Before people go nuts with the race baiting, HBCUs have traditionally had African-American majorities because they were formed right after the Civil War when "black" students weren't allowed to attend other colleges and universities. Most of the other schools didn't allow black students until the 1950s and 1960s (like Florida State, Alabama, etc). Some HBCUs were formed during the Reconstruction period while others were formed after the Jim Crow laws forcefully segregated the country by race. Today, non-black students can attend them and can even receive minority scholarships for attending them.

As for the OP: Here's a separate article from a local Alabama news site which says they haven't committed to sending their band to the inauguration yet.

Talladega College: School hasn't committed to sending Marching Tornadoes Band to Trump inauguration

"From Trump's inaugural committee, via their press release, we are listed as one of the schools in attendance, but the official word...from the president is that a decision has not been made as to whether (the band) would attend or not," a Talladega representative said.

Greg Wilson, the college's director for public relations and communications, told the Talladega Daily Home the school expects to issue a press release with its decision in the next 48 hours.

As I like to remind my peers, African Americans should be free to support or reject whoever we want, just as every other American demographic can support or reject whoever they choose. So if they decide to send their marching band, then more power to them. I wouldn't go, but that's only because I wouldn't want to associate myself with him or his administration unless they let me have full access to all of their intelligence briefings and they occasionally implemented some of my progressive initiatives. Muahahaha!

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
I wonder if any band members or administrators are asking to not be included ?

Similar to the Rockettes thing.

Sorry. I didn't understand the question at first. That is a good question.
edit on 3-1-2017 by 3daysgone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Yeah they haven't accepted yet, that is why I used the word appear. I think it would be good. People getting along is a good thing.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   

As a parent, I would have to view this philosophically. My kid has the opportunity to take part in an inauguration which is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and a celebration of the peaceful transition of power. Based on that, I wouldn't have kept my kid from marching at one of Obama's inaugurations had the opportunity been there for him.

What kind of parent denies their kid that chance over politics?

Look at what it is and not who it is for.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

As a parent, I would have to view this philosophically. My kid has the opportunity to take part in an inauguration which is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and a celebration of the peaceful transition of power. Based on that, I wouldn't have kept my kid from marching at one of Obama's inaugurations had the opportunity been there for him.

Point taken. The experience of it would be great.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Point taken. The experience of it would be great.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Only a racist drama-queen would take issue with this scenario, everyone else doesn't give a sh!t about skin color and prefers to learn from the past and live in peace with each other.

It's crucial for some folks to wake up every day with something to be offended about, this article being case-in-point.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Only a racist drama-queen would take issue with this scenario, everyone else doesn't give a sh!t about skin color and prefers to learn from the past and live in peace with each other.

It's crucial for some folks to wake up every day with something to be offended about, this article being case-in-point.

I tend to agree with that. It seems that the left elitist are trying everything with in their power to belittle Trump.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

BS. Those people might simply not like Trump or what he represents. Brushing aside any disdain for him as being simply racist is preposterous to me. Something like 90% of African American voters voted for Hillary Clinton & Tim Kaine, who are also "white" people. So you can't act like a Hillary/Kaine voter is being racist for rejecting Trump and not wanting to be associated with him.

Look at me for example. I voted for a "white" non-practicing Jewish woman this presidential election (Stein). So I am I a "racist drama queen" for not wanting to be associated with Trump or his inauguration?

ETA: I seem to recall a lot of celebrities and other groups also turning down invitations to perform at the inauguration, as well as backlashes for the people who've agreed to perform for it. Does race factor into those as well?
edit on 4-1-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   
They're already getting backlash for even considering going and a handful of band members have already declined to perform with their band. But I like this guy's attitude:

“What they should do in my opinion is play that national anthem the best way they’ve ever played it in their life, because you’re basically saluting the country,” graduate Ron White said.

Source: Black Alums ‘Horrified’ College Band Performing At Inauguration

Yup! Play it loud and proud!!! This is an honor for the country -- not one person. It is a celebration of our republic and the peaceful transition of power.... and that is always worth celebrating.
edit on 4-1-2017 by Boadicea because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join