It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICO: Senate Push for New Russia Hacking Probe Fizzles

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Looks like the big efforts to form a new committee in the U.S. Senate to investigate the "Russian" hack stories is over.

Apparently there will be no new committee.

We saw what resembled a bi-partisan clan of Senators shouting about this.

Included were Republicans John McCain and Lindsey Graham really pushing this, and now they are now "backing off".

It's possible those 2 never wanted a new committee to start with. We have already seen several successful trollings of Democrats by Republicans.

They stir up Democrats with something that interests them and then make sure it never happens anyway !!

I think this was just that. Very clever.

POLITICO: Senate Push for New Russia Hacking Probe Fizzles

John McCain and Lindsey Graham are backing off of their push for a select committee on cybersecurity after Russian interference in the election, bowing to the political reality that the Senate Republican Conference largely does not back their idea.

The Arizona and South Carolina Republican senators, along with Democratic Sens. Chuck Schumer of New York and Jack Reed of Rhode Island, have been pushing the Senate for weeks to create a new panel to investigate broader cyber threats as well as Russian activity in the 2016 presidential race. They favor creating a new panel over the current piecemeal investigatory structure. McCain’s Armed Services Committee as well as the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and Senate Intelligence Committee are all pursuing probes into the Russian hacking.

For now, Graham said, that will have to do.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Im not sure if Graham and McCain are capable of being clever.
edit on pm11201717America/Chicago03p08pm by annoyedpharmacist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist

They know how to follow orders as long as their advisors understand.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen
So I guess this means that Russians did no hacking at all, Fake News? Or are the Republicans scared to death that it will be proven that Hacking Won tRump the Election?

I really think Russian Hacking is BS myself.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
McCain is a straight up war monger,
he went to Syria to meet with the moderately rebellious isis folks to set up money and weapons deliveries.

I think he`s senile and trying to vicariously relive his glory years of killing Vietnamese through a new generation of warriors.
his eyes are completely blank and empty when he talks like he hasn`t got 2 functioning brain cells working at the same time.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
McCain is a straight up war monger,
he went to Syria to meet with the moderately rebellious isis folks to set up money and weapons deliveries.

I think he`s senile and trying to vicariously relive his glory years of killing Vietnamese through a new generation of warriors.
his eyes are completely blank and empty when he talks like he hasn`t got 2 functioning brain cells working at the same time.

McCain is the Republican poster child for term limits

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Haha..., but Obama kicked out the Russian ambassadors. Not too late to get that red phone just to say "Sorry Putin".

edit on 3-1-2017 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I don't think John McCain had any "grand plan" to humiliate the Democrats. He's just an unapologetic warhawk whose latest insane scheme backfired.

How old is this guy now anyway? He must be about 80. He keeps going he's gonna be the next Strom Thurmond.

Time to retire John, let some new blood into the Party.
edit on -060009pm1kpm by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
I don't think John McCain had any "grand plan" to humiliate the Democrats. He's just an unapologetic warhawk whose latest insane scheme backfired.

How old is this guy now anyway? He must be about 80. He keeps going he's gonna be the next Strom Thurmond.

Time to retire John, let some new blood into the Party.

Agreed. He's an antique. And last I checked we had a representative government. Who in the hell does he actually represent? Besides establishment warhawks, I think he best represents someone's angry alcoholic grandpa who's armchair gets so much use it stinks of Ben Gay

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Hannity did a sit down interview tonight with Assange.
Assange once again clarified that Russia did not supply the WL emails.

Assange said one interesting thing...
In attempting to explain why he will not give specifics regarding the source, including protecting sources and the reputation of WL, he said:
he is not going to say it was someone within the DNC
and he is not going to say it was a service provider of the DNC emails
(paraphrasing)

That second comment is interesting, and is not something I have seen mentioned.
It makes sense that someone with the email service provider could have released the emails.
They would have been in the best position to do so.
It could have been a Bernie supporter, or just someone sick of seeing the corruption.

And - this is important - this person could possibly be the source of the Russia hack story.
Law enforcement would have gone to the service provider for the logs.
It would be difficult, but the service provider might have altered the logs to cover their own tracks and throw off law enforcement - while framing Russia.

As I have mentioned previously - Russia tries to hack everyone.
The provider could have pulled the logs which emphasize the Russian IPs, and fed the theory to law enforcement.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Instead of linking Breitbart's excerpt from Politico, why not just link Politico directly?

They favor creating a new panel over the current piecemeal investigatory structure. McCain's Armed Services Committee as well as the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and Senate Intelligence Committee are all pursuing probes into the Russian hacking.

McCain said he'd spoken to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) about the matter. McConnell prefers to use the Intelligence Committee to spearhead the cyber investigation, and McCain said their discussions had done little to move the GOP leader.

"He said he doesn't think we need it," McCain said.

The top Democrats and Republicans on the Foreign Relations, Armed Services and the Intelligence committees were scheduled to meet on Tuesday to discuss "what each committee is doing," said Foreign Relations Chairman Bob Corker (R-Tenn.). Their goal is to coordinate the various investigations so that they don't trip over each other.

But that doesn't mean the discussion over the select committee is over. Sen. Cory Gardner (R-Colo.), who has backed the idea since 2015, is still expected later this year to introduce a bill establishing a select committee later. And McCain will hold the Congress's first hearing on the hackings on Thursday.

Surprise surprise, Mitch McConnell doesn't want a new committee. He's been trying to obstruct any coordinated effort into investigating the hacking for months. I'm sure that Transportation Sec appointment for his wife doesn't factor into his decisions at all either.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Tired of all the Clinton Email committee stuff, but fine with Russian hacking committees? I remember when it was all "leave Russia alone!" with regards to the Crimea..

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   

They All got the Memo ............" NOTHING To See Here , Move On , FAKE REPORT , That Is All ..." .

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   

But we could investigate Hillary's emails 9 times

you know this country is a bloody joke and Republicans are the real problem with America, party before all, money before people

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

Yes, and did you see in the interview where Assange debunked a story WaPo peddled about evidence of a Russian hacking?

He said that the claim in the article was that some IT guy at an electric plant found a signature from Russian malware on his laptop. Assange went on to say that once investigated it was found that the hacking tool in question is widely available online and was originally created in Ukraine.

But nowhere in this WaPo article and nowhere in the DHS report did they even mention Wikileaks.

Assange understands American politics better than any American journalist.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist

Most people don't see them as Progressives because they have an (R) after their name.

News flash... they're Progressive. They were just siding with their (D) companions.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Perhaps the content of these various Above and Beyond Top Secret briefings are starting to make Senators, Trump, and others, aware of HOW MUCH DIRT Russia has on the USA, and the people in power, present and past?

The USA probably tortures, spies on, assassinates, poisons, and does other things all over the world, and RUSSIA has proof. Piss Russia off, and they'll make the Wiki-DNC dump look like a non-event by comparison.

The USA holds itself to a HIGH Standard of conduct. That makes us very vulnerable, should our nation's dirty laundry be fully exposed. Russia, on the other hand, can't be hurt like this because they don't pretend to be angels, like the USA does. I'm hoping Trump will make the USA more like Russia in that regard. Walk softly, but carry a big stick.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Assange is a liar.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Assange is a liar.

Too long; didn't read

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Was he also a liar when he released information supplied to his organisation of atrocities committed in Bush's wars?

Or the death squads that were prowling through Kenya?

Or all those embarrassing personal emails from State Department officials? (Not the Hillary issue)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join