It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why you dont leave your toddlers unsupervised.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   
This was on my local news earlier, and it made me yell at the screen where the hell are the parents.

2 twin toddlers playing with their dresser when it falls over pinning one of them, the other boy eventually does help his brother get free but not before he climbs on the dresser adding extra weight, it is a pretty tense minute watching the boy struggle.

Who the hell leaves toddlers unsupervised?

Mods please move if not the right forum.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: goou111
This was on my local news earlier, and it made me yell at the screen where the hell are the parents.

2 twin toddlers playing with their dresser when it falls over pinning one of them, the other boy eventually does help his brother get free but not before he climbs on the dresser adding extra weight, it is a pretty tense minute watching the boy struggle.

Not so much unsupervised, but baby proofing your house so stuff like this doesn't happen. Every dresser of any size in our house is tied to a wall so it can't tip over no matter how much our 2.5 year old pulls on it. We paid good money to get a professional baby proofer to come through our house locking damn near every door, shelf, dresser, etc.

Even after all that... sh*t still happens. Accidents can and do happen, but something like this was completely unavoidable with a $5 dollar kit from Wal-Mart. Two things should have been installed. One, there should be childproof locks on the drawers so they can't open all the way. Second, there are strap kits that tie to the back of the dresser and then the wall which prevent the dresser from tipping over.
edit on 3-1-2017 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: goou111

Not so much unsupervised, but baby proofing your house so stuff like this doesn't happen. Every dresser of any size in our house is tied to a wall so it can't tip over no matter how much our 2.5 year old pulls on it. We paid good money to get a professional baby proofer to come through our house locking damn near every door, shelf, dresser, etc.

Even after all that... sh*t still happens. Accidents can and do happen, but something like this was completely unavoidable with a $5 dollar kit from Wal-Mart.

Yep I was thinking that too. Just bracket it to the wall.

But still kids that young need to be supervised. They pick up everything and right to the mouth. And as you know open drawers and cabinets ,doors and windows.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
False sense of security with the nanny cam.....a case of Oh I can see them they'll be fine but when you're not actually there in the same room and something happens like this, I can only imagine the horror of the parents as they saw it happen. Could have been so much worse

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Saw this on the news this morning. Modern parents think they can replace actual parenting with technology. Kids have been climbing furniture for hundreds of years, and it used to be common knowledge. Now if your kids get hurt, it's not your fault you didn't watch them it's the furniture manufacturer's fault because they didn't warn you it could happen. This is what you get when you let society raise your kids for you......

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: goou111

I hear you dude, I saw this on the BBC News here in the UK this morning, I was both shocked and relieved the poor wee lad that wound up under the drawers was unhurt. One thing I will say ro the parents credit is they chose to share this video themselves to highlight why parents should bolt down furniture (rather than any lesson learned about not leaving young children unattended, to their shame).

What I noticed was the drawers were empty, hence the reason they tipped over so easily. Then, of course there's the probability that the reason the boys were playing with the drawers as they didn't have much in the way of toys in that room.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport
False sense of security with the nanny cam.....a case of Oh I can see them they'll be fine but when you're not actually there in the same room and something happens like this, I can only imagine the horror of the parents as they saw it happen. Could have been so much worse

I doubt they were even watching the Nannycam, if I'd witnessed that I'd have been in a mad rush to get up and make sure he was OK, instead it was his brother that rescued him. No parents appear in the video...

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   
It's okay, they have a camera to provide evidence of their parenting skills. Let the public decide!!

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Natas0114

Sometimes you have to wonder does bad parenting contributed to the rise of the SJW movement?

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Forniture in a baby's room must be hooked/attached to the wall to avoid that situation. That's what I did when my daughter was a baby and kept it like that for years. Remember what happened with IKEA?

edit on 3-1-2017 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
a reply to: Natas0114

Sometimes you have to wonder does bad parenting contributed to the rise of the SJW movement?

Yes, or at least lazy parenting has. Giving in to every whim, everything becomes an entitlement.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
lord non of you who have posted must have children .
I raised 6 boys and it was a never ending battle of them getting into things and me tring to keep them safe .
as for leaving the kids play alone in there room all parents do this from time to time .
Its not bad parenting . And me I was what would be called a helicopter parent . I was paranoid about every thing .
And truthfully i think i got lucky .One lost baby tooth a few minor cuts with a stitch here or there .
But the times when it really mattered ? 104.5 temp put in tub cold water get temp down to 100 rush 20 miles to
hospital doctor comes out says Scarlet fever ( darn near passed out ) next word out of his mouth don't worry we can cure it now .( must have known I studied history )
needless to say that was it fixed cured no snake oil needed . Just be there when it matters most and pray alot .
Dear lord god if you feal the need to take someone take me not my child .
How can you not love them ? so tiny and just need you no questions asked no demands made .

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
If I climbed on furniture my mother would have beat the sh#t outta me! What kind a world a we in now? Everyone need a good whooping now and again.
edit on 3-1-2017 by CHONGO because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   

I beg someone, anyone to take this video, use some editing fancy slowing it down or something and add the Superman song to it.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: midnightstar

Wrong, parent of 3 here...

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: midnightstar
lord non of you who have posted must have children .

I raised 6 boys and it was a never ending battle of them getting into things and me tring to keep them safe .

As for leaving the kids play alone in there room all parents do this from time to time .

Thank you for the reality check. As said, "They don't come with Instruction manuals."

I thought I baby proofed the room. Did not know at the time my little bundle was ADD. Crawled out of her crib at 6 months. So took wheels off and lowered side. Oops! Forgot to lower side against the wall. She crawled under crib hitting the mechanism with her head. Still has a scar above eye.

She did so many more things I never would've thought of.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

When I was a kid I was left alone alot. We lived in a small town, and getting hurt messing with stuff you weren't supposed to was the best way to learn to leave it alone. Lol.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Underfire2

Ahhhh the good old days.

Remember these? I'm not sure how I managed to keep all my fingers.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   
In my day we didn't baby-proof crap. If you were a stupid kid you died for it.

It's called natural selection.

And that kid is no genius. He screwed around for two minutes, clueless, even squashing the other kid more before he did something. A smart kid would have gotten his mother immediately.

Everyone thinks their kid is a genius. Ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Underfire2
a reply to: Edumakated

When I was a kid I was left alone alot. We lived in a small town, and getting hurt messing with stuff you weren't supposed to was the best way to learn to leave it alone. Lol.

Believe me, I grew up in the 70s/80s. I did all kinds of dumb sh*t that kids can't get away with nowadays. Car seat? Nope. Rode home in my mom's lap. Crib? Nope. She put me in sock drawer. Road Trip? Yup, I rode in back window of a Oldsmobile Cutlass with no seat belt. Almost as much fun as when I went to visit my cousins in the country and we'd get to ride in the bed of the pickup truck doing 75 on the highway!

Had BB guns and real guns as a pre-teen growing up in south. Played with fireworks. Rode bikes and imitated Evel Knievel with no safety gear. Climbed trees. Got the battle scars to prove it.

Even got to roam all over our neighborhood with no cell phones. I'd leave home at 9am. Parents had no clue WTF I was until I got home when street lights came on in evening. If I was late, they beat the snot out of me and no one called DCFS.

Some how I made it...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join