It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2017

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Thought some people here might find this interesting. I know, I did!! Stuff about the weight of the water at the Oroville Dam, fluctuating so much on the heels of such a drought...and how that might have an effect on any fault lines that exist beneath said dam. Thoughts?

www.latimes.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: HollywoodFarmGirl
Thought some people here might find this interesting. I know, I did!! Stuff about the weight of the water at the Oroville Dam, fluctuating so much on the heels of such a drought...and how that might have an effect on any fault lines that exist beneath said dam. Thoughts?

www.latimes.com...

You may also want to consider what drawing enormous quantities of water from underground aquifers would do as well. In the case of this dam, it was ill advised in the first place due to instability of the soil. That dam has more than one problem.

P

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: HollywoodFarmGirl
Now thats a good bit of reporting by Rong-Gong Lin II, well researched, with backing evidence and multiple sources.
If U.S. Geological Survey, California Division of Mines and Geology and the California Department of Water Resources and Berkeley Seismological Laboratory all think there is a higher risk then I would tend to believe them. The Official Govt line is always "there is nothing to see here please move on", more than likely a delaying tactic while they panic in the background and start analyzing who will get the blame and how to shift said blame to someone other than themselves.
Koyna Dam, Hoover Dam, and Zipingpu Dam are listed as examples of earthquakes induced by dam reservoirs being filled or drained, he could also have cited Three Gorges Dam and the Aswan Dam, as I mentioned 3 weeks ago
So they need to be prepared in the local area, have emergency meetings of the relevant rescue services and have a plan of response.

edit on 03000000626217 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

It is pretty well accepted that earthquakes may/will occur under these situations, to the point is has been given an acronym, (RIS) Reservoir-Induced Seismicity
edit on 03000000626217 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzy

This is an interesting link off that 3 Gorges page
journal.probeinternational.org...
M7.9 2008 earthquake in Sichuan caused by the Zipingpu dam, The dam cracked and, though it withstood the 7.9 earthquake, it subsided up to one metre and was displaced downstream up to 60 cm. An estimated 90,000 people were killed by landslides and collapsed buildings caused by the earthquake.

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Accumoli, Visso and Norcia, Italy continues to boggle the mind

Summary whole series as at 05/03/2017 17:11:37
total= 58,733 events
total energy released= 125,504.813TTNT
mag~1= 4,732
mag1= 42,946
mag2= 9,959
mag3= 1,026
mag4= 61
mag5= 7
mag6= 2

and even since the cluster of 5's on 18/01/2017 09:25:40 there have been 11,936 more aftershocks, 15 of those being M4+'s.
updated from 16 days ago new 2nd x10,000 map since the 5's of 18/01

posted on Mar, 5 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
6.5 Papua New Guinea, 28.9km

earthquake.usgs.gov...-info
edit on 5-3-2017 by crappiekat because: to add

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Haven't had many down here this year
F-E Region: Pacific Antarctic Ridge
Time: 2017-03-08 14:03:30.6 UTC
Magnitude: 5.3 (Mw)
Epicenter: 134.09°W 54.34°S
Depth: 10 km
geofon.gfz-potsdam.de...

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
New quake worries for California, already overdue for whopper quake

Interesting read

www.usatoday.com...Tex t Black
edit on 8-3-2017 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

sites.agu.org...
edit on 8-3-2017 by crappiekat because: to add link

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Another on the Antarctic Plate edge

F-E Region: West of Macquarie Island
Time: 2017-03-09 11:14:26.5 UTC
Magnitude: 5.9 (Mw)
Epicenter: 150.30°E 60.16°S
Depth: 10 km
geofon.gfz-potsdam.de...

actually there were 2 others on the Pàc-Antarctic Ridge a few days ago, USGS showing those on the 7 days 4.5+ map

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat

Makes for a sensational headline but on the other hand there was a shallow m6 at the north end of San Francisco Bay a couple of years ago that didn't kill or injure anyone, and I can't recall there even being any damage.
It is good to be aware of the risks but as the article says the population of LA has increased by 10 million since 1933 and the last big quake near this fault, so 10million people must accept that risk and therefore be prepared for the consequences.
Also, over time Faults do clamp up and stop being active, look at Palestine/Syria area 2000 years ago was very active, now there are hardly any quakes of significance.
Could be the same for California.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   

We are all concerned about FAKE NEWS/ Fear Mongering

I think the reason they try to put some of these reports out is because they are trying to keep folks on there toes.

Here in the states, the news just keeps coming and coming.

So that's makes some folks forget what is really important.

There is so much political news going on, it is hard to get folks attention.

I agree that someone like you and other great posters here at Quakewatch think these article are silly. ( And I do agree, to some degree) (Didn"t try to rhyme)

But they can do so much, before they start sounding like "broken records"

So trying to keep it in the news is the best thing they can do.

It sounds like you would appreciate that more from your country.

If you notice folks tend to ignore this thread unless there is something new that comes out.

This thread is for folks to learn, and to know what is going on right?

I have learned a lot. And that's what makes me not freak out when something semi big happens.

I really get my feelings hurt when I think I am linking something that maybe, of someones interest and who knows, maybe their safety.

I guess this should have gone into RANT. But.....

edit on 9-3-2017 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Yes I have noticed that the amount of replies corresponds with the number of big earthquakes on this topic, human nature I guess.
There is no harm in posting the link, so no criticism of you for doing so.
I prefer the MSM we have here in NZ which allow comments at the end of news stories, where readers can reply with an opposing view, often makes for better reading than the original story.
edit on 03000000686817 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Like British Columbia and Washington state Japan's Shikoku Island also experiences low-frequency tremor.
I have mentioned this before on ATS Quake Watch, I even started a blog page on the Median Tectonic Line, which runs through the 3 Prefectures concerned, SW Ehime, NE Ehime and Tokushima, but eventually let it slide as it was too much extra work.
2015 seen quite a few swarms of 90-230 events, all very small micro quakes that showed on the NIED data.
NIED have a special page with daily maps showing "Daily epicentral distribution of deep low-frequency tremor. Red circles on the map are centroid locations obtained by a clustering method of hourly tremor activity" You have to be registered to access the page, but there is a screenshot of a day earlier this last week

These don't always match up with actual earthquakes recorded though.
FWIW I did a new page for the 100 tremors over the last week in NE Ehime Pref. It has been a while since I noticed a swarm there, but I wasn't looking particularly. new page
I have set a Label "EhimePref" so that all the swarms for this area are grouped together.
new label (category)
I can't find any significant quakes on Shikoku itself, but there have been a couple of 6's recently, in April 2014 on Awaji Island at the north east end, and of course the Kobe 6.9 quake of 1995.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Muzzy,what do you make of all the mention on stuff.co .nz and the herald about the Manukau harbour possibly being the site of an eruption, if and when it happens,do earthquakes preceded eruption's?/I'm just curious as the msm has ramped up TV ads and earthquake awareness/eruption awareness a lot between the chch quake and the kaikoura one.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: hiddenNZ

It took a bit of searching but this must be the article you refer to
i.stuff.co.nz...

Its a long shot, probably not in our lifetime's. I think it's a scenario created to be able to analyze the hazard risk to the power grid more than a real actual possibility.
I think there is more chance a new volcano popping up in the Hauraki Gulf near Whangaparoa Peninsula than in the Manakau Harbour, at least the seismic activity there has been recorded in the recent past, small sized m1's and m2's.
One of my brothers lives right under the old Manakau Cone, I'm sure he will be impressed to read this and the possibility that the 300% property value gains on his house over the last 10 years could be wiped out in just a week from a Volcanic eruption on his doorstep!
He has been thinking of selling up and moving to Rotorua anyway, which really is a high risk volcanic area.
Maybe that is what is behind this story, an attempt to deflate the Auckland housing markets outrageous inflation values?
edit on 03000000696917 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Note: If you look at that 2nd link on your phone change the =1 to =0 at the end of the address to get the graph set on one page, then you can select which one you want to look at from there.
I posted that from my laptop, I guess Blogger just converts to mobile version automatically, that is what =1 means.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 06:45 AM
link   
My PC is still not back as the [politeness EXTRA NICE] nice people on eBay [/politeness EXTRA NICE] decided after a week of me waiting for the new motherboard to tell me that actually they did not have it in stock and they had ordered it. They may get it on Monday. The declined to say which Monday.

The item to which I now refer to them by is somewhat brown and rather smelly.

The other pain in the backside, DropBox, is about to discontinue the Public folder in 5 days. I upload SNZO every day as a backup for Muzzy in addition to my own use. These are now transferred to Google Drive. Details of the seismogram I collect daily are below.

Unfortunately Bayou Corne has been withdrawn from Real Time access as has SANVU on the G network.

ETA: SANVU is on GD up to the time it stopped.

edit on 12/3/2017 by PuterMan because: to add an additional comment

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   

There is so much political news going on, it is hard to get folks attention.

There is so much fake political news going on, it is hard to get folks attention. I find it fascinating how the MSM have latched on the the 'fake news' angle and are pushing it for all they are worth when in reality THEY are the biggest perpetrators.

Link away friend, you know you will get shot down in friendly flames if the link really is bad fake non news!!

I really get my feelings hurt when I think I am linking something that maybe, of someones interest and who knows, maybe their safety.

This is the perennial problem for blogers such as Muzzy and myself. We tell people and they ignore it. OK so ignore it if they wish but you should not be hurt that they do. Their problem, their lives. You have done your bitand at the endof the day that is all that matters.

Muzzy puts a huge amount of time into creating informative posts and should be appreciated more for all the work he does. I know the regulars appreciate his efforts of course.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: PuterMan

The other pain in the backside, DropBox, is about to discontinue the Public folder in 5 days.

they must be rolling this out gradually around the World as I got a notice that it would be in November.
I have only just started changing the link addresses on my blog pages, I didn't really know where to start there are at least 3650 pages to work on. In the end I started on Japans Special Reports as that is the most continuous blog of them all. There is no way I will be able to upgrade every page by Nov.
Thanks for transferring those files over, I better do the same for all the files I have on the Public Folder, and sort out the links later.
So much for the Cloud being the wonderful asset the pundits said it would be, at the mercy of the owners whim it turns out to be a millstone and in the end pretty risky.
edit on 03000000707017 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   
You are all doing a great work

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join