It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you give me a list of Obama's sucesses that come to mind-No Googling

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

There have been several posted here. In my opinion, shutting down inversions to Ireland will yuge. The pro-business environment that Trump has setup will more than likely change that back and allow US companies to push their profits offshore to not only give them unfair tax shelters, but also taking revenue from our federal budget.

www.reuters.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Good point, I can't really think of a "great" thing. I listed the few, but when he did something good, ACA, it turns out to be such a mess that the adults will have to figure it out. Is that Trump? We will see and I think soon.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Well I know he wasn't "the worst president of all time" like i often see people saying. Hell, Trump has even said that multiple times. An its possibly one the stupidest things I have ever heard. He was a very average president.
edit on 5-1-2017 by idiedinatimemachine because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-1-2017 by idiedinatimemachine because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: proteus33
a reply to: uncommittedare you serious obamacare might help a few but it really helps the insurance companies the most. it is a major scam forced on americans . the unemployment records they cherry picked the numbers the true number of americas unemployed much higher in the double digits. he himself said we were much safer under his watch with no terror attacks on us soil while he was president. i might be wrong but san bernadino and orlando attacks happened while he was in office right and how about bombing at boston marathon.

For the healthcare, I couldn't agree more, your overly lobbied congress meant it would be a mess.

For unemployed, what are the 'true' figures, or do you just prefer someone else's numbers?

The only way to measure success is by measuring against someone else's achievements - that's how you can judge success. Based on that, have unemployment figures been lower for every other president of the last 40 years or so? If they have then he wasn't successful in that area, if they haven't then he's at least a qualified success in that area.

For the terrorist attacks, more people died on US soil through terrorism under G W Bush, so by that yardstick Obama is more successful.

I appreciate I'm using a mature, grown up way of presenting an argument, but I can't help that, it's how I was brought up.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: KnightFire

"Obama" phones are a Bush creation. And do you have a source for the beer and smokes with a bridge (welfare) card?

You are correct on the first one. And the second claim made is complete BS, as I will explain.

Welfare benefits of food stamps and basic cash are now accessed with the EBT (electronic benefits transfer) card. Items in a store all have their UPCs, so when the item is scanned, the EBT card will determine if it is an allowable purchase on benefits or not. At the end, when the total is tallied up, those items not allowable (like alcohol, tobacco, firearms, ect), will be deducted from the total covered by benefits, and the person will be required to pay for whatever it is, out of their own pockets.

A very easy example of this was an 87 year old lady I took care of as a caregiver. She lived on social security, food stamps, and donations from the food bank. Since she couldn't leave the house, she sent me with her food stamp card to do her shopping. She wasn't a smoker, and her only real "vice" was that she liked a glass or two of white wine in the evening (probably why she lived as long as she did). Food stamps would not cover this, naturally, so she sent me with cash on top of card whenever she wanted me to get her a bottle of wine. Cashier rings up the total, the EBT card determines that 6.37 of the total bill is a non-covered item, deducts that from what it pays, and the customer must pay the remaining balance themselves. Her food stamps do not cover it. Period.

There is a way around this, but not with food stamps. Cash benefits. Some people also receive cash/general purpose money, which is also accessed through the card, just through a different account than the food stamp one. You can use it like an ATM card to buy non food items necessary like house cleaning supplies, OTC medications, diapers, kid's toys, clothes, ect. Cash benefits still will exclude paying for items like alcohol and tobacco. However, unlike food stamps, you can pull cash out of a cash benefits account from an ATM, and then use that cash to buy smokes and booze, since cash spending has no restrictions. This is certainly considered abusing the system and is not sanctioned in anyway, but is a lot harder to stop, since with cash, the government has no way of knowing what you spend it on. You could eliminate this loophole by disallowing cash withdrawals from the account, and making it utilizable only electronically. However, there are legit reasons people need to pull cash to cover expenses, depending on their living situation and area.

But the claim that Obama made it possible to buy drugs and smokes and beer and lotto tickets with welfare money is patently false. Anyone who has had to work with the system knows better.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Great story. My parents too had an EBT card for a while during the 2008 recession and I can back up what you are saying because I saw it happen while in line with them at the grocery store.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Obama successfully pissed me off. Then he pissed me off again. Then I stopped being pissed off at him because I remembered that people around me do that enough and I shouldn't grant him the privilege.

He successfully made it harder for someone to successfully start an honest business much more difficult. Dishonest business start ups became easy if you were willing to sell your salvation.

He successfully made me have yet another voice in my head. I didn't need that.

Michelle made my son's lunches healthier. My son now asks to bring leather to school for snack time, right after his common core math lesson.

That last one is probably a success, actually.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I am going to cover one other controversy, and that is people being able to buy "junk food" or per-prepared meals with food stamps. There is actually a good reason for this provision. And that is for people who are either homeless, or live in a situation where they have no place to store and prepare their own food.

Like, when I was homeless was the first time I ever had food stamps (EBT card). Since I was homeless and lived out of a duffle bag, buying regular food like produce, dairy, meat, flour, and other staples was out of the question, obviously. Not only do I have no place to keep these things, but how they hell am I going to prepare a meal? Thus, when I went into a grocery store, I bought things on my card that i could carry and eat on the fly. But that said, it wasn't like I could do this every meal, every day. I usually tried to eat at local shelters and soup kitchens, but because I also was looking for work, housing, training, and had a number of medical and employment related appointments to keep, so I missed meal times a lot. Thus, I had to pick up a sandwich or other prepped meal at the grocery deli, or other things like chips or whatever. Just to have something in my stomach.

For people who are not homeless, and have a kitchen to store and prepare food, they of course can still buy deli made items, but they will also run out of money quicker on EBT, and be screwed for the rest of the month. You don't get that much on EBT, so if you want it to last, you really have to watch it.

Another thing seasonal mentioned that is also correct is the misnamed "Obama phone". Bush Jr. was actually the one who extended an existing program providing phone lines to the needy, to include the choice of a cell phone. The cell phone provision, again, was mainly added to help the homeless. Since the homeless have no home, they can't have landlines. However, they do need a line of communication so that doctors, social workers, potential employers and job interviews have a reliable method of getting in touch with the homeless person. How the hell else are you going to get someone off the streets if they have no way of keeping a line open to ways off the street?

Once again, I benefited from an "Obama phone". The phone allowed me to make and keep appointments at the VA and my case manager there. As well as having a phone number to put on job applications. On top of that, there was an employment assistant at the YWCA who would call and let me know when a possible job or work opening came up. Important things. And the phones themselves were not iphones or galaxies, or smartphones like so many have claimed. They were these small, super primitive basic phones that had no cameras, limited text abilities, limited graphics, and were limited to 250 minutes a month (which can burn up fast just taking official business calls). The Obama phone is a very basic, bare-bones minimum thing.

I really am sick and tired of the BS and disinformation surrounding welfare and government aid. If you disagree with it, that's fine, but do so based on actual facts and reality, and not propaganda, spin, and half-truths. If you want to trash the system or criticize it, fine, but do so with facts and truths, nor propaganda, spin, and half-truths.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Understand the help for the homeless, but Obama has nothing to do with that. A portion of his administration, or the benign aspects of our government are responsible. He doesn't give two turds.

If he did, then homeless people would have an easier time building honest business. Those people who work everyday would get what they should. Instead he blamed his inability to produce on the color of his own skin.

He empowered insurance companies when power should be reduced.

Making sure people survive is good, but to survive in an environment of shame is not survival. Incentives and bonuses for registering DBAs, LLCs; incentives for providing jobs instead of punishing their creation, etc.

I've been homeless. I agree, it is about 7 times more expensive to live homeless than to have an energy efficient apartment wherein the rent is actually reasonable and you don't have to be an officer in the military to be respectable enough to be offered the place, only to find that somehow the drug dealers got the place before you, some friggin how. Guess they were more likeable?

Unwise to give credit to Obama for things that helped you. The bigger picture is that he made it harder for people to get out of it. But here's a phone...!

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TarzanBeta

This is some biased #. You can't give credit for Obama for helping someone not starve to death, have a place to live, and finally get back on their feet but you CAN blame him for making it harder to start a business? How is he responsible for one and not the other? If you are going to say he isn't directly involved with providing benefits as an excuse not to give him credit then you DAMN well can't blame him for things that he didn't directly do that negatively affect you. Hypocrite.
edit on 5-1-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

This is some biased #. You can't give credit for Obama for helping someone not starve to death, have a place to live, and finally get back on their feet but you CAN blame him for making it harder to start a business? How is he responsible for one and not the other? If you are going to say he isn't directly involved with providing benefits as an excuse not to give him credit then you DAMN well can't blame him for things that he didn't directly do that negatively affect you. Hypocrite.

You're kinda special.

I own a business. Try thinking.

Starting the business got me out of homelessness.

Kept me out. Kept my family fed. Made it possible that I wasn't beholden any longer to your type.

Wish I could have started it in the early 2000's. It would have been so much easier.

Some homeless people look for more handouts. Some use them in order to not need them. Guess which I was? The REAL minority.

Call me a hypocrite and you don't even understand your own ignorance or even consider the possibilities before your response.

Typical and forgivable, nothing new to humanity.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Yeah. My point had nothing to do with you or your personal story. How about decoupling your ego from the equation and go reread what I said?

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Bane of my existence. People who need simple things explained to them.

Obama's damage to small business and employees proves he doesn't care about the homeless. Anything that benefits the homeless is not his intention or his idea, guaranteed.

To give credit to him for helping the people who he destroyed would be the actual hypocrisy.

My personal story was supposed to clue you in on more consideration and to provide you with information to questions you should have asked yourself and then me. Namely, "How do you know?"

Living it. Learning it. Knowing human nature. Knowing the manipulation of politics. Knowing the disjointedness of our government. Knowing the hubris and arrogance of Obama. Etc. Etc.

I don't have the desire to teach below a 5th grade level for this very reason alone - lack of critical thinking, lack of care to read the text, blaming the teacher for bad grades, and meatheads. And history textbooks that are full of garbage. Those tick me off.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   

If you want to get down to it, no president or politician genuinely gives a rats ass about the homeless and poor at a basic level. However, they do at a political level. whether it was Obama or some kind soul in his administration who gave a # enough to start providing more help to the homeless, for whatever reason. When you are hungry, soaking wet, and shivering, and need money or even temp labor pay per day work, you really don't care a whole lot about why the government decided to help or if it really cares. Somebody in the administration did. These things were not available or accessible during the Bush or Clinton administrations.

Honestly, I don't see how helping homeless people start a business has anything to do with this. Or how it helps the majority of homeless people. The most important issue with homeless is shelter and the basics. Kinda hard to run a business from a cardboard box, and a business was not only the last thing on my mind as a homeless person, but even back in society I never had interest in business. My interest is in being gainfully employed, and having a flexible enough skill set that I can always find suitable employment

I give credit where credit is due, and I will credit the current administration if it deserves the credit. One does that have to like, nor love, the administration or president in general to give it credit when it did something correct. I never voted for Obama, nor was I ever a supporter. I'm not even a democrat, or even really that liberal. But I also strive to be as fair and realistic as I can, which means even giving someone who I otherwise think is useless or a turd credit for something they deserve some credit for.

If you want to talk about Obama's failures, then create a thread, and I will gladly, off the top of my head, give you a list of things Obama failed epicly at and really screwed up on, things I feel sucked unforgivably, and things that will screw us long term. But I am not so blind nor rabidly partisan that I am incapable of acknowledging success or giving credit to an adversary or other loathesome being if it is due. It's called truly being "fair or balanced".

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Still missing my point I see. Let me explain it to you a bit simpler and with your own words:

Understand the help for the homeless, but Obama has nothing to do with that. A portion of his administration, or the benign aspects of our government are responsible.

then:

The bigger picture is that he made it harder for people to get out of it. But here's a phone...!

This is biased and hypocritical garbage any way you slice it. You make a valid point about how Obama isn't directly responsible for the good things that happen (while handing blame to him for #ty bureaucracy that you ironically don't acknowledge isn't his responsibility either). Then you blame him for the red tape you had to go through to start your business (much of which is also written by your local town or state's governments too btw).

Like I said. Decouple your ego from the equation. You're just being an asshole right now because I'm calling you out.
edit on 5-1-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Sounds more like you're biased towards false fairness because you felt you benefited.

That's how bad churches get people to tithe more. We help the needy out and everyone thinks Jesus is in the house.

Calling it how it really is is more honorable than accepting a gift and allowing it to manipulate your mind.

This thread is about his successes. He successfully did everything he wanted to do. He's my enemy and that was his aim. You seem to be missing my point as well.

Remember that sometimes help from the truly benign may end up passing through the begrudging messenger.

Don't give credit to the evil messenger. That's not the source. In fact, it is usually that messenger's punishment for manipulating one's self into the position.

I feel I'm talking to people who cannot see past their own circumstances...

Incentives for individuals to become Sole proprietors or Contractors is the ONLY way to give to the homeless.

You can print your ad at the Library and tack it and toss it wherever you want. Do the job right, build up, land a couple of really excellent contracts wherein money is paid upfront, set everything up, and get messy and productive.

It's actually very easy to do out of a cardboard box if you use your mind to solve problems instead of complaining about them.

What has hindered me so much and what has always caused my problems is that the squeaky wheels get in my way and cause me hell.

And I don't like it, so I say it to whomever I please. That's my own personal issue.

But if you sit down and take account of anything around you or in your possession, even your garbage, and arrange the list in different ways as if you were trying to crack a code, as long as you have a vision in your mind of the lock that key should unlock, you will be able to create key, or atleast find it what is missing from that key so that you can get it.

This is the part of work that people forgo that creates the poor environment we're in today.

No problem solvers, all problem creators.

It's ugly, I tells ya. I drink because of it.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Lack of comprehension. And you really like arguing. Boring.

I think without bias, but I can't rightly use your ego to do that, can I?

Ironically, you tell me to decouple my ego, and yet it is pure ego that would drive your desire to cover up your lack of consideration. But, as I said, typical and forgivable.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   

No. You are just biased and refuse to see it. "Think without bias"? Lol there is no such thing. That line alone proves my point. But have fun being right. On the internet everyone is always right.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Glad you see the light.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   

No problem. Here's your reward:

Try not to let it go to your ego to much.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join