It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone please explain the occassional "bowl shaped moon" seen in our night sky?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I'm in my mid 50's and up until 5 or 6 years ago I would have bet the farm that the moon NEVER has a position that looks like a cereal bowl. But now, at least in the Southern California skies- IT MOST CERTAINLY IS AND DOES! NOW how can the moon slip? Please explain so that I can understand what has to happen to make the moon appear on it's side when half full? Did the planet move in a new place in space? Did the SUN move? Did the moon relocate? I know all about what causes the phases of the moon but what can change it? or has it always been that way and I just woke up yesterday? I'm baffled! What's even more troubling to me however; is why someone has not addressed this by now on ATS. I'm not the only one who can see it this way... or am I? LOL Seriously though... I want to know!!!~

TERIMS

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Terims

Wet moon v. Dry moon
edit on 3-1-2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

The earth is out of orbit and has been since the 9.0 earthquake in Japan. And it's getting worse, and is the true cause of global warming. In the summer the sun is setting further north, and in the winter further south, casting a shadow on the moon from another direction.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Underfire2

At stonehenge, at the summer solstice, the sun rose in its usual place.

Lots of people saw it, and not all of them were off their faces.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Terims
I'm in my mid 50's and up until 5 or 6 years ago I would have bet the farm that the moon NEVER has a position that looks like a cereal bowl. But now, at least in the Southern California skies- IT MOST CERTAINLY IS AND DOES! NOW how can the moon slip? Please explain so that I can understand what has to happen to make the moon appear on it's side when half full? Did the planet move in a new place in space? Did the SUN move? Did the moon relocate? I know all about what causes the phases of the moon but what can change it? or has it always been that way and I just woke up yesterday? I'm baffled! What's even more troubling to me however; is why someone has not addressed this by now on ATS. I'm not the only one who can see it this way... or am I? LOL Seriously though... I want to know!!!~

TERIMS
part of the Mandela effect is that we have moved dimensions. Those remembering and seeing differences come from another timeline. I too notice the face of the moon is different.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

The path which the sun takes among the stars is known as the ecliptic. The moon's orbit is inclined at five degrees to the ecliptic, so it will always be within five degrees either side of it. For half the sidereal month (relative to the stars) the moon is below the ecliptic and for half it is above. The point where the moon's orbit cuts that of the earth is the "node" – at the "ascending node" the moon moves from south to north and at the "descending node" it moves from north to south. These points are where eclipses occur – hence the name. The nodes move around the ecliptic at the rate of one circuit every 18.6 years. The ecliptic makes the steepest angle with the horizon at the equinoxes. The crescent moon is near the sun so it is at those times it will be seen lying on its back.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

Wet moon v. Dry moon

Wet moons occur routinely in the tropics (where the sun and moon rise and set nearly vertically)

Never used to see the horned or cheshire moon in CA. Here are our winter moons supposedly.We have seen them now at various times which makes no sense. No one seems to want to talk about it. i don't mind being called crazy by a bunch of crazies!
www.timeanddate.com...
This is San Francisco

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

I live on the East Coast, so I wouldn't know how it typically looks in Ca. However, I did see that the wet moon is explained in Hawaiian astrology:

In Hawaiian astrology, Kaelo the Water Bearer rules from January 20 - February 18. According to the Hawaiian Calendar, Kaelo is the "Dripping Wet Moon" month. However, many other cultures have defined the Moon when lit on the bottom as the "dry moon" since in that configuration, the Moon is "holding in the water".

Link

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   

I live on the East Coast, so I wouldn't know how it typically looks in Ca. However, I did see that the wet moon is explained in Hawaiian astrology:

In Hawaiian astrology, Kaelo the Water Bearer rules from January 20 - February 18. According to the Hawaiian Calendar, Kaelo is the "Dripping Wet Moon" month. However, many other cultures have defined the Moon when lit on the bottom as the "dry moon" since in that configuration, the Moon is "holding in the water".

Link

The name they give means faint moon, I am not seeing it as horned
pvs.kcc.hawaii.edu...

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
if the moon's light is being reflected from the sun, and the sun is not all that far below the horizon, then the curve of light is going to be on the side closer to the horizon, surely? Hence cereal bowl. If you don't remember this from childhood, that will probably be because you didn't happen to look up at the moon (or take much notice) when it was presenting that aspect.

Also it is quite normal in schools level teaching about astronomy to depict the phases of the moon as advancing from left to right, with the crescent shapes upright on the page, and the half-moon phase dividing the moon by a vertical line. It may be that you are subconsciously remembering these teaching illustrations, rather than actual sightings of the night sky itself.

edit on 3-1-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Wet moon v. Dry moon

I gave you another rare star from me. Being an old country boy , I have seen this many , many times....

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 04:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

Wet moon v. Dry moon

Wet moons occur routinely in the tropics (where the sun and moon rise and set nearly vertically)

Never used to see the horned or cheshire moon in CA. Here are our winter moons supposedly.We have seen them now at various times which makes no sense. No one seems to want to talk about it. i don't mind being called crazy by a bunch of crazies!
www.timeanddate.com...
This is San Francisco

Well. The way I see it is this. What's nore likely

- that you, as a human being prone (as we all are) to confusion, imagination, forgetfulness, ignorance of the scientific principles at work, stubbornness etc..are rigbt and something is up with la Luna ?

Or

- the same things that have carried on for billions of years is...still carrying on as it was and you are just a human and in this case, wrong?

Boring I know, to some, but admire and study the beauty of celestial motion and you will be happy you are wrong. Or at the very least content.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Never used to see the horned or cheshire moon in CA.

Because you didn't look at the moon often enough.

The moon chart appears to be made with the idea of the lunar phases by day, not the way its actually illuminated based on orbits.

posted on Jan, 11 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Op the moon seems out of phase unusually, as planet X has created a wobble on the earth's axis. This is intensifying daily, so expect this to occur more dramatically, as px approaches and magnetizsm intensifies..

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Planet X, you say? I don't suppose you have some photos? Perhaps some of it lurking next to the sun?

posted on Jan, 12 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Born and raised in the north San Francisco Bay and I have seen the Cheshire Cat moon many times in 39 years.

new topics

top topics

join