It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rebecca Ferguson 'graciously accepts' invite to inauguration...if she can sing song about racism

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I support pretty much anyone and everyone's right to say "no" for whatever reasons they deem fit and whether I agree with those reasons or not... if a Rockette doesn't want to dance, okay. And if the baker doesn't want to bake, okay. For the most part, I find their reasoning to be petty and self-serving with no practical or productive purpose. But whatever.

This woman surprised -- and impressed -- me:

X Factor runner-up Rebecca Ferguson 'graciously accepts' invitation to sing at Donald Trump's inauguration... if she can perform track protesting racism

STATEMENT IN FULL

I've been asked and this is my answer.

If you allow me to sing "strange fruit" a song that has huge historical importance, a song that was blacklisted in the United States for being too controversial.

A song that speaks to all the disregarded and down trodden black people in the United States.

A song that is a reminder of how love is the only thing that will conquer all the hatred in this world, then I will graciously accept your invitation and see you in Washington.

Best Rebecca X

It may or may not be misguided; but it's a bold move that took the courage of her convictions. I expect she will be mercilessly vilified by her fellow showbiz folks.

"Strange Fruit" was a huge hit for Billie Holiday, the blues singer, back in 1939, and speaks to the mob lynchings of Black men (and boys) of that time. It was written by a Jewish man, Abel Meeropol, who was inspired by a photograph of a lynching:

Eighty years ago, two young African-American men, Thomas Shipp and Abram Smith, were lynched in the town center of Marion, Ind. The night before, on Aug. 6, 1930, they had been arrested and charged with the armed robbery and murder of a white factory worker, Claude Deeter, and the rape of his companion, Mary Ball.

That evening, local police were unable to stop a mob of thousands from breaking into the jail with sledgehammers and crowbars to pull the young men out of their cells and lynch them.

I understand why she would find this song appropriate:

Strange Fruit Lyrics

Southern trees bear strange fruit
Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
Black bodies swinging in the southern breeze
Strange fruit hanging from the poplar trees

Pastoral scene of the gallant south
The bulging eyes and the twisted mouth
Scent of magnolias, sweet and fresh
Then the sudden smell of burning flesh

Here is fruit for the crows to pluck
For the rain to gather, for the wind to suck
For the sun to rot, for the trees to drop
Here is a strange and bitter crop

I'm pretty sure if I sat down and had a heart-to-heart with her, that we would find many areas of agreement and disagreement between us on the subject of police brutality/shootings, as well as her reasoning and motivations for presenting this challenge. But it doesn't matter. I can admire and respect her for not just saying "no," but for taking a stand and offering a challenge to the president elect. And in that sense, also offering to meet Trump halfway. She is opening a door for dialogue, and an opportunity to move past the dangerous rhetoric of Black Lives Matter. It's probably not a challenge that Trump wanted or expected, but she's thrown down the gauntlet, and now it's up to Trump how he will respond. The issue of police brutality and shootings is an issue and will continue to be. Trump will have to deal with it one way or another.

And we can't keep doing what we've been doing -- that's exactly what got us to this point! Something has to change. Trump told Black people to give him a chance... and here's his chance to say -- at the very least -- "I am your president too. I know this is important to you. I'm listening." It could help set the course for race relations for his entire term. Will he take control and responsibility? Will he establish his own dialogue? Or let the BLM and professional agitators stay in control?

We'll see. I hope Trump surprises me -- in a good way.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source Articles:

X Factor runner-up Rebecca Ferguson 'graciously accepts' invitation to sing at Donald Trump's inauguration... if she can perform track protesting racism

Strange Fruit Lyrics

Strange Fruit: Anniversary Of A Lynching

The Strange Story Of The Man Behind 'Strange Fruit'

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Imagine how many Libs she'll send to their safe place with that.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell

2 minutes after the thread was posted you write this ? Did you even read the OP ? This is not one of those cirklejerk threads where Trumptards pat eachothers backs but rather the opposite. So

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

I don't think I could imagine... It boggles the mind, eh?

But I suppose that's one of the reasons I am so intrigued by her challenge. With so many running to their safe space and refusing to engage unless it's on their terms and conditions (and conclusions)... when they're not attacking anyone who dares to live outside their paradigm... this woman stands head and shoulders above.

I hope and pray we're witnessing the birth of a new normal.... just gotta get thru the labor pains first!

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: ErrorErrorError

originally posted by: mikell

2 minutes after the thread was posted you write this ? Did you even read the OP ? This is not one of those cirklejerk threads where Trumptards pat eachothers backs but rather the opposite. So

I very much appreciate the point you're trying to make -- and I thank you for that -- but I also think it's exactly because of the "safe spaces" folks that this woman's actions are so refreshing and remarkable. And so important.

Likewise, the stale old rhetoric of the right needs to change as well, and I've been waiting for Trump to prove himself one way or another. I really hope Trump rises to the occasion.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

"liberals" making it about 'them' at every turn.

This is Trump's inaugural ceremony, not BLM's.

Just like the Rockettes complaining... this deserves no airtime, and only exists to stir the pot.
edit on 3-1-2017 by chadderson because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   
lulz

Everyone thinks they are the centerpiece in life.

and a runner up?

I thought the Donbot only #s with Winners?
edit on 3-1-2017 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Ballsy to throw that ultimatum out there, but I don't see this song representing anything about America today. Yes, maybe in the America that is a hyperbole in some circles, but not in reality.

I hope that he denies the ultimatum on that truth alone, but kudos to her for throwing it out there fi she feels strongly about it.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: chadderson

"liberals" making it about 'them' at every turn.

Ahhhhhh... still stuck in that left-right prism, eh?

This is Trump's inaugural ceremony, not BLM's.

This is our inauguration ceremony for our president.

Just like the Rockettes complaining... this deserves no airtime, and only exists to stir the pot.

Nope, much more to it than that. Sad that you can't see that.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

That's a strange song to want to sing at an inauguration. I fail to see how a song about black people hanging from trees could bring anything good to the table.

Also the song was inspired by a photo of a lynching of two guys who were "arrested and charged with the armed robbery and murder of a white factory worker, Claude Deeter, and the rape of his companion, Mary Ball."

I don't care if they're white, black, purple, orange, or what ever, if that is true and they did that then they deserved what happened to them. If its not true than its a damn shame but still cant justify in my mind why you would want to sing this song.

Its not like its about healing, its more about opening old wounds and refusing to let them heal.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Trump's team should say yes. Being presented in that venue it will do a lot to move past racism, considering the predominant narrative about Trump is his supposed prejudices (while bearing in mind that Donald Trump was never accused of those things before he chose to run an outlaw campaign against the left-wing establishment).

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Ballsy to throw that ultimatum out there, but I don't see this song representing anything about America today. Yes, maybe in the America that is a hyperbole in some circles, but not in reality.

Perspective is everything. "Justifiable" is a subjective term. And what is -- "reality" -- is not necessarily what should be.

When we make peaceful revolution impossible, we make violent revolution inevitable.

I hope that he denies the ultimatum on that truth alone, but kudos to her for throwing it out there fi she feels strongly about it.

If Trump cannot/will not accept her terms, I would hope that Trump would make a counter offer... that's the art of the deal, right?

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder

That's a strange song to want to sing at an inauguration.

Yes, it is... but this has been a strange election from the start.

I fail to see how a song about black people hanging from trees could bring anything good to the table.

"Good" is the operative word there, right?

In a time when Black people feel like police have painted a target on their backs and that their lives are expendable, and that cold-blooded killers are being given a license to kill, there is an obvious correlation to a song about a previous time when Blacks also had a target on their backs and their lives were likewise expendable and cold-blooded killers were given a pass to kill.

The first step to solving any problem is to recognizing and acknowledging the problem. I believe that's just the first "good" that can come.

Also the song was inspired by a photo of a lynching of two guys who were "arrested and charged with the armed robbery and murder of a white factory worker, Claude Deeter, and the rape of his companion, Mary Ball."

I don't care if they're white, black, purple, orange, or what ever, if that is true and they did that then they deserved what happened to them. If its not true than its a damn shame but still cant justify in my mind why you would want to sing this song.

And the operative words are "if that is true," right? There was no trial, there was no evidence presented -- much less "proof" -- and there was no due process of their rights. No opportunity to face their accusers, no right to defend themselves, no speedy trial -- nothing. There is absolutely no justification or excuse for the lynching of these two men, no matter what they did.

If you do not understand the importance of due process, then you are part of the problem.

Its not like its about healing, its more about opening old wounds and refusing to let them heal.

As noted above, the correlation is obvious. To her -- and many others -- these are not old wounds. These are longstanding and ongoing wounds being inflicted. You are making arbitrary distinctions that apply for yourself, not everyone else.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   

This is our inauguration ceremony for our president.

Nicely observed and nicely pointed out Boad.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tman2135
Trump's team should say yes. Being presented in that venue it will do a lot to move past racism, considering the predominant narrative about Trump is his supposed prejudices (while bearing in mind that Donald Trump was never accused of those things before he chose to run an outlaw campaign against the left-wing establishment).

I think you're right. Saying "yes" to this lady would completely take the wind out of the sails of those screaming "racist! racist!" It would also take the narrative away from those same folks. Trump could totally and completely re-frame the narrative and dialogue.

We need bold thinking and actions from Trump.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

originally posted by: FauxMulder

That's a strange song to want to sing at an inauguration.

I fail to see how a song about black people hanging from trees could bring anything good to the table.

In a time when Black people feel like police have painted a target on their backs and that their lives are expendable, and that cold-blooded killers are being given a license to kill, there is an obvious correlation to a song about a previous time when Blacks also had a target on their backs and their lives were likewise expendable and cold-blooded killers were given a pass to kill.

The first step to solving any problem is to recognizing and acknowledging the problem. I believe that's just the first "good" that can come.

As noted above, the correlation is obvious. To her -- and many others -- these are not old wounds. These are longstanding and ongoing wounds being inflicted. You are making arbitrary distinctions that apply for yourself, not everyone else.

For your whole premise though you have to buy into the notion that black people are being hunted and murdered across the country by police. This is just untrue and the vast majority of the cases have found the officer to be justified. Not only that but the majority of police killings have been them killing WHITE people.

As you said they "FEEL" like they have a target on their back. I think its much better to fight that FALSE narrative then it is to sing about how black people hang from trees in the south during a presidential inauguration. That would be completely counter productive and give credibility to the false statements and stories coming from BLM.
edit on 3-1-2017 by FauxMulder because: no justice no peace

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

originally posted by: Tman2135

I think you're right. Saying "yes" to this lady would completely take the wind out of the sails of those screaming "racist! racist!" It would also take the narrative away from those same folks. Trump could totally and completely re-frame the narrative and dialogue.

We need bold thinking and actions from Trump.

It would certainly present a quandary to critics falling back on that spurious logic.

Flip side is that I think those critics will still persist, sort of like the way that Black Conservatives or African-Americans who criticize negative aspects of modern African-American culture are labelled as "not really Black."

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Why must the racist issue be brought up then. I don't think the battle back and forth is getting us anywhere. I wish people would let it go and move on. But I know that's a snowball's chance.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

For your whole premise though you have to buy into the notion that black people are being hunted and murdered across the country by police.

No, I don't. For one thing, no one said anything about being "hunted." But more to the point, all I have to accept -- or "buy into" -- is that she and many others believe this based on their experiences. There is no question that high numbers of Black men are being killed by police, and the vast majority are deemed "justified" -- rightly and wrongly. The dialogue can begin there.

This is just untrue and the vast majority of the cases have found the officer to be justified.

That is your opinion -- not "untrue." "Justified" is subjective term, based on opinion (and too often corruption). Most of those cases deemed "justified" also paid out huge settlements for wrongful deaths. Can't have it both ways... except in a corrupt power structure.

Not only that but the majority of police killings have been them killing WHITE people.

Cumulatively, yes; proportionately, no.

As you said they "FEEL" like they have a target on their back.

Much the same way cops "feel" they have a target on their backs from every single solitary person who walks the streets. Cops don't know who is and isn't a threat, so they assume we all are... As long as cops are shooting and killing disproportionate numbers of Blacks, and don't know which cops are and are not a threat, they assume all cops are.

I think its much better to fight that FALSE narrative...

I agree, to the extent that it's not just about racist cops who target and kill Blacks (of which there are some), it is about piss poor policing practices and corrupt brass and thin blue that protect bad cops of all stripes that affects us all -- Black, White and purple polka dot.

But, of course, those protecting the bad cops want to frame it in racist overtones so that we just fight amongst ourselves and don't find common ground and stand together against them.

...then it is to sing about how black people hang from trees in the south during a presidential inauguration.

Not a pretty picture, is it? But that is the statement that she wants to make.

That would be completely counter productive and give credibility to the false statements and stories coming from BLM.

Counter productive to who? Those protecting bad cops???

If you want to take the power away from BLM -- and I sure do! -- then we have to actually address the issues responsibly and honestly. We have to do it right. We cannot and will not do that by turning a blind eye and refusing to acknowledge any perspective or opinion but our own.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Tman2135

It would certainly present a quandary to critics falling back on that spurious logic.

And I think that's the first step in changing the narrative -- and is getting us nowhere. Which, I believe, is by design.

Flip side is that I think those critics will still persist...

Sadly, you're right. Some because that's just all they see... and some because they can't have real solutions and have to keep the pot stirred and the masses angry.

... sort of like the way that Black Conservatives or African-Americans who criticize negative aspects of modern African-American culture are labelled as "not really Black."

Yup. But the political elite has worked hard to divide the Black communities, sucking the government teat dry while pretending to "help" them. Has any one government program done more to divide-and-conquer Black communities and all of us than Affirmative Action? "We'll make some of you winners and keep the rest of you losers!" Of course jealousy and resentment and bitterness would be the result.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join