It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Ford Cancels Plans for $1.6B Plant In Mexico; Expanding In Michigan

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Thanks Obama and Ford (the only of the big 3 that didn't need a bailout) for making America great.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:16 AM
link   
You guys are delusional, I am sorry to be the one to say it and burst those really large bubbles with very small hands.

First, I work for Ford, in Louisville where we have two plants. LAP is the Louisville Assembly Plant and KTP is the Kentucky Truck Plant. LAP builds the Escape and Lincoln MKV, KTP builds Super Duty, expedition ns Lincoln Navigator. LAP maintenance and engineers has been working on retooling for the MKV and KTP been retooling for the 2018 aluminum body navigator months before Trump made his ridiculous announcement. These Lincoln vehicles where never leaving our plants.

Second, Trumps "gift" of 7 million to carrier has not changed their plans, they are STILL building a plant in Mexico and they are STILL laying people off, the jobs that were "saved" where not going anywhere anyways. How in the heck you can claim thi as a victory for anything but corporate welfare is beyond me.

and third ... Trump taking credit for the DOW, wow, just wow. The Dow has been breaking records for 8 years now and suddenly you guys want to credit it to Trump although he has not done a damn thing yet. You know Trump needs to actually change some things because you know how you all keep saying the economy is broken and then see if it keeps going up to claim a victory. The whole trying to take credit for what Obama has done at the 99 yard line is some very, very deep bull# and cheering it on is even worse, you look like fools to anyone who can think critically. You are cheering on a guy, claiming to have helped his team win because he wore his lucky underwear to the game, give us a break ... really.

Now back to the OP, you do know that Ford just added 2000 jobs and 1.3 billion dollars at KTP last year? So I guess that was a "vote of confidence" for Obama then, right? LOL, you guys are so naive and gullible. It would be kind of cute, if your fanaticism was not reaching 4th Reich type levels. The truth is Trump cannot take credit for the jobs anyways, we ratified a contract with Ford on Nov. 20 2015 for 8,500 more American Jobs. Let me guess, you guys are going to believe that was all because of Trump too? LMAO, you guys ...
edit on 4-1-2017 by Tazkven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Fine, gonna have to wait for that to actually occur. How will we determine that 700 part time jobs were actually made full time...

I wish I could tell you that. Here in the UK the Tory government pat themselves on the back for lowering the number of people living in poverty and reducing the percentage of the population receiving benefits. They achieved this by shifting the goalposts so that, to be in poverty you had to be even worse off than you did before, xome people who were considered to be living in poverty previously were now above the poverty line. As for reducing the number of people on benefits, this was achieved by lowering the amount of money you need to earn to recieve benefits and of course these famous sanctions they use to make sure benefits claimants tow their (ever moving) line, if you are sanctioned at the time they gather the information about benefits, ergo not in reciept of any money, then you're not actually classed as being on benefits.

I almost forgot the work they did, which is perhaps more pretinent to this topic, reducing the number of unemplyed people. After all, if you hold a 0 hours contract, even if you're not actually getting any work, you're still, technically, unemployed. There are other tactics they use to doctor figures in their favour, i'm sure. Don't get me wrong, I'm under no illusion that this is just a Tory trick. Every UK party does it (even the SNP, the party who currently has my support here in the UK) and we've seen similar tricks all over the world,

So I hope, for the sake of America and the world economies, that Trump will actually fix the US economy and not just
doctor the figures so it looks like he's achieving something...
edit on 4/1/17 by djz3ro because: I originally spelled Tory with a Y, i mean really...

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse
a reply to: intrptr

Making 700 temporary jobs into full time jobs is an increase in jobs. You do know the difference between temporary jobs and full time jobs?

Yah, they aren't "new jobs".

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

I almost forgot the work they did, which is perhaps more pretinent to this topic, reducing the number of unemplyed people. After all, if you hold a 0 hours contract, even if you're not actually getting any work, you're still, technically, unemployed. There are other tactics they use to doctor figures in their favour, i'm sure. Don't get me wrong, I'm under no illusion that this is just a Tory trick. Every UK party does it (even the SNP, the party who currently has my support here in the UK) and we've seen similar tricks all over the world,

One tactic in the states is the claim the economy is improving because less people are on unemployment, when in reality, since unemployment benefits term ends after one year it only appears less people are unemployed because benefits have expired.

People are still unemployed but don't appear in the statistics anymore.

A simple check of actual unemployed numbers could be done by looking at W2 (paystub) data, but I never hear those numbers in the main stream.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tazkven
You guys are delusional, I am sorry to be the one to say it and burst those really large bubbles with very small hands.

First, I work for Ford, in Louisville where we have two plants. LAP is the Louisville Assembly Plant and KTP is the Kentucky Truck Plant. LAP builds the Escape and Lincoln MKV, KTP builds Super Duty, expedition ns Lincoln Navigator. LAP maintenance and engineers has been working on retooling for the MKV and KTP been retooling for the 2018 aluminum body navigator months before Trump made his ridiculous announcement. These Lincoln vehicles where never leaving our plants.

Second, Trumps "gift" of 7 million to carrier has not changed their plans, they are STILL building a plant in Mexico and they are STILL laying people off, the jobs that were "saved" where not going anywhere anyways. How in the heck you can claim thi as a victory for anything but corporate welfare is beyond me.

and third ... Trump taking credit for the DOW, wow, just wow. The Dow has been breaking records for 8 years now and suddenly you guys want to credit it to Trump although he has not done a damn thing yet. You know Trump needs to actually change some things because you know how you all keep saying the economy is broken and then see if it keeps going up to claim a victory. The whole trying to take credit for what Obama has done at the 99 yard line is some very, very deep bull# and cheering it on is even worse, you look like fools to anyone who can think critically. You are cheering on a guy, claiming to have helped his team win because he wore his lucky underwear to the game, give us a break ... really.

Now back to the OP, you do know that Ford just added 2000 jobs and 1.3 billion dollars at KTP last year? So I guess that was a "vote of confidence" for Obama then, right? LOL, you guys are so naive and gullible. It would be kind of cute, if your fanaticism was not reaching 4th Reich type levels. The truth is Trump cannot take credit for the jobs anyways, we ratified a contract with Ford on Nov. 20 2015 for 8,500 more American Jobs. Let me guess, you guys are going to believe that was all because of Trump too? LMAO, you guys ...

That is a very compelling argument, and informative.
Can you provide some more sources though?

While i often find myself on the right-wing, and do not wish to discount your own experience and intelligence, you really lost me at the end. I'm disappointed TBH since it was a pretty good rebuttal up until the last 3 paragraphs. Still, i can tell this hits a deep nerve with you, and for an arguably-good reason. Were i in your shoes i would probably have an identical sentiment.
Im not trying to grill you here ( though admittedly, that seems to be the case) I dont want to throw the baby out, yknow? I am genuinely interested in your stance, as a person within the industry.
edit on 4-1-2017 by DeathShield because: Always quick to speak i am...

edit on 4-1-2017 by DeathShield because: Sigh.. .

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: DeathShield

Here's the reason why Ford canceled it's plant.

Posted yesterday on ATS

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Great news for America, this is one of many Job revitalizing jolts America needed and I would assume all thanks for Mr Trump. Guys needs some credit throwing his way.

Still intrigues me however how we all ( and obviously its the only move we have ) still run around hoping for new and better jobs, will those at the top literally are born into inheritance and live like they somehow deserve it.
edit on 4-1-2017 by BlackProject because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I haven't read the entire thread just yet, so I'm not sure ifn this has been posted. I read this statement from Mike Rowe concerning this decision and I thought it was probably the best take on this.

I just read that my old employer, The Ford Motor Company, has reversed their decision to build a $1.6 billion manufacturing plant in Mexico, opting instead to invest $700 million in a Michigan assembly line. I’d like to take a moment to congratulate Ford, its current employees, its future employees, the great state of Michigan, and of course, The United States of America. This is a big, fat victory for anyone who wants to see America get back to the business of making things. Now... Will Ford’s decision be politicized? Yup. Will Ford be accused of acting in their own self-interest? Yup. Will critics say Ford could do more, and criticize them for doing too little? Yup. Will the media overwhelm us with articles that explain why this is no big deal, and how Ford’s decision will ultimately result in no new jobs? Yup. Do me a favor – ignore these people. They don’t know how to feel good about anything other than feeling bad. They don’t understand the value of justifiable optimism - or it’s importance. Honestly, I don’t care what your politics are, or your opinion of NAFTA, The UAW, The New F-150, rich people, poor people, The Global Economy, or The President-Elect – this is good news, and sensible people should celebrate it. The company who invented mass production is once again betting on the future of America! What's the worst part about that? And if I’m reading this right, it's happening – at least in part – because of new “pro-growth policies, and a more positive manufacturing environment for US business.” fxn.ws... Couple years ago, I narrated a commercial for Walmart that announced their commitment to invest a quarter trillion dollars in US Manufacturing. That’s $250,000,000,000.00. That's a lot of zeros. The backlash was instantaneous. People with an axe to grind against Walmart were livid with me, and thousands came to this page to tell me personally they hoped that Walmart would fail. Why? Because some people hate Walmart more than they care about America. Some people can't see the bigger picture. Some people don't understand if companies like Walmart choose NOT to invest in this country, no one will. And they don’t realize the importance of other companies, following their example. Bottom line - we need more companies to do what Ford just did. We need to support decisions like this one. And most of all, we need more policies that reward the kind of behavior we want to encourage. I hope we get them, soon. My only question now is... who’s next? Mike

That was posted on his FB page.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Ford CEO Mark Fields said plant cancellation was due to decreased demand

finance.yahoo.com...

If we are going to credit Supply and Demand itself to Trump fine...

I give him the 700 temp to hire positions in MI...and also the 4500 jobs lost today by Macys..

Capping a disappointing holiday season, Macy's (M) will eliminate more than 4,500 positions as part of a restructuring plan to turn around the department store's slumping sales

www.usatoday.com...

He is losing jobs...not creating them.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...the following quote is laughable..."However, he stressed Ford did not do any sort of special deal with Trump. "We didn't cut a deal with Trump. We did it for our business."

They didn't do any sort of special deal...no...perhaps not...They did however...do the math...on the 35% tax per item shipped back to the US from their outsourcing penchant...

YouSir

Well.. there is whole bunch of outsourced job that is simply support, and this tax penalty won't mean much. My company of 50k plus outsourced all our IT support to Mexico, cutting jobs for many folks that had worked there 20 years +. So, I wonder what the plan will be to stop that sort of job export.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathShield

originally posted by: Tazkven

That is a very compelling argument, and informative.
Can you provide some more sources though?

While i often find myself on the right-wing, and do not wish to discount your own experience and intelligence, you really lost me at the end. I'm disappointed TBH since it was a pretty good rebuttal up until the last 3 paragraphs. Still, i can tell this hits a deep nerve with you, and for an arguably-good reason. Were i in your shoes i would probably have an identical sentiment.
Im not trying to grill you here ( though admittedly, that seems to be the case) I dont want to throw the baby out, yknow? I am genuinely interested in your stance, as a person within the industry.

I thought the last paragraph was my best though, haha. Sources on the Carrier deal is everywhere. Most of what I said concerning Ford is in the article I linked to in the last paragraph. They don't talk about the retooling but of the funding needed to retool being secured a year before retooling i spoke of started. Also, they talk about the 8500 jobs negotiated and ratified back in 2015. Bottom line is that 8500 American jobs are being created over the next 3 years (4 years then) Trump or no Trump but I guarantee you that Trump will be there to take credit for each and every one of them even though it really is the Union who negotiated the deal and it was made possible because of the quality of our work and that created confidence on both sides of the negotiating table. We deserve the ctedit, not the cheeto tyrant.
edit on 5-1-2017 by Tazkven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 05:21 AM
link   
One of the other big car manufacturing giants was told.that if they build a new plant in Mexico they'll fave hefty taxes for importing the cars to the U.S. I presume Ford would be in line for the same.trearmemt if they built a plant in Mexico and that probably played a part in their decision making...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join