It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Ford Cancels Plans for $1.6B Plant In Mexico; Expanding In Michigan

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
And So It Begins...JOBS-JOBS-JOBS!

It looks like companies are giving the new U.S. 'Pro-Business' environment a huge vote of confidence.

Yup, it's called 35% import tax.
In any case Ford has been maneuvering its position for some time now.

Okay, I guess nobody caught on to Ford's little trick with the Lincoln crossover thing, for instance. To make Donald happy and bristle with pride or something else, Ford decided in November that the Lincoln production will stay in Louisville...Hallelujah!
Except, the plant would have been building the Ford Escape crossover instead...anyway. It would not have involved much in the way of a job loss, while the talk seems like no jobs lost.

edit on 3-1-2017 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone
It's a matter of time until democrats take credit for the Dow skyrocketing, Carrier, Ford, and SoftBank since they occurred while Jimmy Carter, I mean Obama was still in Office..

Seriously, it's unfathomable to us today but mark my words, the history books will be written that Obama's presidency went out on a high with the DOW nearing 20,000 and optimism at an all-time high with companies clambering to stay in the US thanks to Obamas leadership…

Never put it past progressives to rewrite the truth…

-Chris

I've always heard that history is written by the victor, which splains a lot about today's revised Civil War, but the left is done winning for a long time unless they can find it in themselves to reach out to more than just minorities and gays and stop labeling anyone that doesn't agree with them.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The cognitive dissonance on social media is legendary, Liberals have actually convinced themselves that this was all going to happen whether Trump was president or not.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
You guys do realise that 'progressive' isn't an insult, right...?

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
Huh, it would seem that the right environment DOES stimulate jobs, with economy hot on its heels. Who woulda thunk?

All you had to do is live through the 80s and the 90s to know this would work. This is a great start for Trump

If this is a winning strategy perhaps we can elect a leader in the UK who with make Britain Great again but I doubt it. Still don't like Trump though nut glad y'all didn't vote Clinton in

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Tman2135

Disagree on the "new jobs" as Ford will open up 700 jobs on its payroll as opposed to being on the various temp agencies or contracting firms they are using.

However you want to split the hairs...

As someone whose done agency work let me tell you, it's a far better thing to be employed directly by the company. More money and more job security...

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

He but how many of those jobs are automated now?

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Ford, Carrier, Stock Market all had nothing to do with Trump huh ? You liberals need to get out more if you cant keep up.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

The arrogance and prejudiceness is this post reminds me of something said in the Civil Rights days. Instead of being aimed at a certain race it is aimed at a political party.

THIS is what's wrong with America, forget jobs, THIS is what is tearing our country apart at its very core. You speak as if 'liberals' (which is vague because not all liberals share the exact same views) are beneath you and almost subhuman.

Political prejudice is the new racism in my opinion and the media has spurred it the entire way with their narrative.

Yeah, the media is biased as hell but they know that you know that and continue to do it blatantly to cause these types of feelings between people. You guys are falling for it so badly.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

And despite the neo-Nazis trying to hijack Trump's win, how much you wanna bet that the jobs will be available to people of all races.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greggers

originally posted by: Greggers

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...the following quote is laughable..."However, he stressed Ford did not do any sort of special deal with Trump. "We didn't cut a deal with Trump. We did it for our business."

They didn't do any sort of special deal...no...perhaps not...They did however...do the math...on the 35% tax per item shipped back to the US from their outsourcing penchant...

YouSir

Serious question. Has Trump already detailed that there will be a 35% tariff on goods manufactured in Mexico?

That has to be passed in legislation before congress before it becomes law. Trump did say it would help prevent countries from moving and bring others home.

Good luck getting the corporate lobbies to allow that.

Thanks for the answer. That's sort of what I thought.

So how do we know this decision has anything to do with Trump? I'm not saying it doesn't, and if it does I'm happy to give him credit. I didn't vote for him, but he is our President and I am rooting for him to perform well.

We don't. The article said it 'could be viewed' as supporting Trump. Mostly spin though.

Tariffs used to be 33 percent until corporate lobbies swayed Congress to change that. They are precisely what kept US companies at home instead of moving overseas. That and foreign tax shelters. Trump has stated he would up the tariff again but like I said, its not within his power, takes an act of congress.

So are they spinning this to make it appear as though he's doing what he promised? You be the judge. Ultimately companies will decide to do whats best for their bottom line, not as a 'favor' to Trump.
edit on 3-1-2017 by intrptr because: punctuation

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

Disagree on the "new jobs" as Ford will open up 700 jobs on its payroll as opposed to being on the various temp agencies or contracting firms they are using.

As someone whose done agency work let me tell you, it's a far better thing to be employed directly by the company. More money and more job security...

Fine, gonna have to wait for that to actually occur. How will we determine that 700 part time jobs were actually made full time...
edit on 3-1-2017 by intrptr because: added reply

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

If he puts an import tax on the Focus, no one will buy it.

If he brings the production back the US, Ford will have to charge more for it..........and no one will buy it.

Kind of a conundrum, unless they sell the focus overseas, like to China.

GM does it (expanding overseas operations)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

You do realize that many large corporations keep employees part time to save on benefits, overtime, insurance. I have friends that work over forty hour weeks at safeway, don't get OT, vacation, pension, healthcare, etc.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: libtardslayer
Ford, Carrier, Stock Market all had nothing to do with Trump huh ? You liberals need to get out more if you cant keep up.

I guess you don't look to hard at things. Ford isn't going to expand in the US to that tune of $1.68 Billion, Oh no!
It's more like the $700million quoted in the press/TV. Elsewhere Ford has said it may have an expansion programme for electric vehicles around $4.5 Billion for 13 electric models in a five year plan, so probably that's already in the can anyway, and as well as that the new Focus will be made in Mexico. So no help for big oil there either.
Even there, there is a catch, EV's sell well as long as the incentives are there, take the incentives away, the EV's will sit there, like the Nissan/Renault Leaf in Georgia. So who's going to do the tax credits for electric Fords then? better still who's going to pick up the bill?

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Making 700 temporary jobs into full time jobs is an increase in jobs. You do know the difference between temporary jobs and full time jobs?

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   

No Problem, KIA beat them to it a long time ago. and that plant is HUUUUUUUUGE. way more than 700 jobs.

its in Monterrey.... its very pretty.

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 12:45 AM
link   

I agree this looks like a good thing, but this is only 700 jobs out of the 93 million unemployed out there (according to Donald Trump). If this started a trend, I could see the benefits.
edit on 04amWed, 04 Jan 2017 00:45:55 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I posted a link to the CNN Money story this morning with the actual full interview, and it didn't take long for the libs to reply with negatives and little edited snippets of the interview making it seem like he didn't even mention anything about Trump and the new business friendly times ahead.

I no longer feel sorry for those people now, I did before, but I don't now nor will again. They are just pessimistic, fear mongering ugly souls and I'll no longer give a crap about trying to cheer them up and make them feel okay. Let them sit with their color books and Play Doh for the next 8 years. They are nothing more than a drain on society.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join