It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Ford Cancels Plans for $1.6B Plant In Mexico; Expanding In Michigan

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir
a reply to: IAMTAT

Ummm...the following quote is laughable..."However, he stressed Ford did not do any sort of special deal with Trump. "We didn't cut a deal with Trump. We did it for our business."

They didn't do any sort of special deal...no...perhaps not...They did however...do the math...on the 35% tax per item shipped back to the US from their outsourcing penchant...

YouSir

Serious question. Has Trump already detailed that there will be a 35% tariff on goods manufactured in Mexico?

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Tman2135

Disagree on the "new jobs" as Ford will open up 700 jobs on its payroll as opposed to being on the various temp agencies or contracting firms they are using.

However you want to split the hairs...

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   

What did Ford get?

What will be the long term percussions?

Details required.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: dashen
a reply to: Christosterone

>>implying we really walked on the moon.

But nukes are a pretty great achievement too.

And three color toothpaste.

Splitting the atom gave rise to an inexhaustible supply of power…

Had liberals not blocked implementation our world would be a much different place…

When this monumental achievement was realized liberals moved the goalposts to cold fusion...
And when scientists screamed that splitting the atom was the absolute pinnacle of what we are capable of for the next few centuries liberals ignored them...
Despite the unequivocal science, liberal dogma went on a 30 year ad campaign demonizing nuclear power...

France, for example, operates almost entirely on nuclear power as it is the cleanest, most spectacular form of energy we have managed to tame…

-Chris

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greggers

Ummm...the following quote is laughable..."However, he stressed Ford did not do any sort of special deal with Trump. "We didn't cut a deal with Trump. We did it for our business."

They didn't do any sort of special deal...no...perhaps not...They did however...do the math...on the 35% tax per item shipped back to the US from their outsourcing penchant...

YouSir

Serious question. Has Trump already detailed that there will be a 35% tariff on goods manufactured in Mexico?

That has to be passed in legislation before congress before it becomes law. Trump did say it would help prevent countries from moving and bring others home.

Good luck getting the corporate lobbies to allow that.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Thanks for the real facts.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: Greggers

YouSir

That has to be passed in legislation before congress before it becomes law. Trump did say it would help prevent countries from moving and bring others home.

Good luck getting the corporate lobbies to allow that.

Thanks for the answer. That's sort of what I thought.

So how do we know this decision has anything to do with Trump? I'm not saying it doesn't, and if it does I'm happy to give him credit. I didn't vote for him, but he is our President and I am rooting for him to perform well.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
You guys, we are winning so much I'm growing tired of winning!

/sarcasm

We are not progressives or liberals…
We do not apologize for splitting the atom and landing on the moon…
We are the greatest civilization in the history of the high West...
We will win in perpetuity so long as liberals don't undermine our ability to do so...
We are used to winning and are glad to be doing so again and will never tire of it…

Sorry liberals, there are trophies for winners and countries whose sensibilities reside squarely in the Stone Age are losers while those who walked on the moon are winners…

-Chris

I'm not a liberal or conservative by the silly definitions most go by, but splitting the atom and landing on the moon might be considered big money, big government liberal projects by many conservatives.

Note that many conservatives think government should be out of the business of funding universities and NASA both. Imagine if they'd had their way for those 2 big ones.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Ummm...thank you good sir for fleshing out the conversation I was speaking to...

I totally agree...we're in for one hell of an uphill ride...
I also think the old "are you better off now than four years ago" adage will have to be modified to an annual report of how reduced regulatory and tax burdens as well as tariffs...etc...have benefitted the personal and national economies...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Breaking? This was the week AFTER the election...one of the 1st announcements. Youre quite late on this....

Here is a Nov 30th link...but are others 3 weeks earlier....search and find

www.foxbusiness.com...

Yes: 'BREAKING'...as in 'Today'...as in 'Tuesday'!

Ford Motor announced Tuesdaythat it would cancel plans for a $1.6 billion Mexico plant and launch a Michigan expansion in a move that may be viewed as a capitulation to Donald Trump.

www.usatoday.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Tman2135

Disagree on the "new jobs" as Ford will open up 700 jobs on its payroll as opposed to being on the various temp agencies or contracting firms they are using.

However you want to split the hairs...

It's not splitting hairs, it is an important distinction to make. The logic you are using just relies on sheer numbers without taking into account the quality of the subject.

In my mind, 700 permanent full-time jobs with benefits has more value than 700 temp/part-time/1099 jobs.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Could it the result from a twitter by Mr. Trump on 3rd of January ? If so glad to see that they actually listen.

General Motors is sending Mexican made model of Chevy Cruze to U.S. car dealers-tax free across border. Make in U.S.A.or pay big border tax!

Twitter

Peace

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Except for those millions and millions of tons of nuclear waste and spent rods that's nobody seems to know what to do with

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Greggers

Ummm...to the best of my knowledge no details yet...merely campaign rhetoric...

He spoke to equalizing import/export from all nations we do business with...not just Mexico...
I wish I had more specifics to add...I guess just wait and see after the 20th...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
This is great news. Let's hope it's the start of a jobs revolution which Trump has promised.

In my opinion, this has to be because of Trump.
It's obvious it would be cheaper for Ford to make cars in Mexico rather than the US. And as money is the main and sometimes only motivator for these big corporations, Trumps comments on having to pay tariffs etc may have forced them to think again.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yours was a good read and you accurately pointed out the truth about the Ford statement.

You know what's odd? You did a better job than the talking heads on CNBC, (MSM Outlet), in describing what Ford is doing.

CNBC seemed to focus on the fact that Ford isn't going to build the Car plant in Mexico because they don't make any money on small cars. Apparently they were unaware of the shift of the "Focus" production to an existing plant.

If I were a gambling man, I would bet that they will never even try to sell the Mexican built Focus in the US.

So.............the devil for Trump and his policies, is in the details that he probably hasn't parsed through.

If he puts an import tax on the Focus, no one will buy it.

If he brings the production back the US, Ford will have to charge more for it..........and no one will buy it.

This is a lot more complex and nuanced the he really understands.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Ford doing their part in making Mexico Mexico again.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Stupid Trump keeping jobs here in America.... What's next, a better economy??? Sheeesh, lets impeach this man before he does anymore good...

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

What did Ford get?

What will be the long term percussions?

Details required.

This is what I'm wondering. This kind of 180 doesn't just happen because a maybe was tossed out. Granted, I absolutely support higher tariffs on greedy American companies going overseas to build & import stuff back home, this sounds more like a backroom deal than fear of a threat to me.

Realistically, Trump can't threaten too low of a tariff hike, because other than some cost-shuffling, not much would change from the way things are now. He also can't threaten too high of a tariff hike, because that would backfire on him by being made up in much higher prices on the goods and more consumers backing off the purchases (meaning less revenue earned, and more incentive to close up shop stateside to save money)

I think a cushy tax deal has been being negotiated for some time already, and not an import tax one. I don't see tariffs going up, at any point under Trump outside of a small to moderate increase in certain sectors like raw materials. What I do see happening to keep companies stateside is big tax breaks, and I don't think they were Trump's doing. I think it's been in the works for a while now, independent of Trump or Obama.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
Huh, it would seem that the right environment DOES stimulate jobs, with economy hot on its heels. Who woulda thunk?

All you had to do is live through the 80s and the 90s to know this would work. This is a great start for Trump

I was just thinking....the people who doubt these jobs and economy plans must not have been born or old enough to remember the 80's or 90's.

<< 1    3  4 >>

join