It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truckers recruited in war on terror

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
"CHATTANOOGA, Tennessee (AP) -- Hoping to take advantage of alert eyes along the nation's highways, the government is trying to enlist more truckers in the battle against terrorism.

The Alexandria, Virginia-based Highway Watch, started by the American Trucking Associations in 1998 and funded since 2002 with homeland security money, focuses on safety and security.

Spokesman John Willard said the volunteer program has received a total of about $40 million and "all 50 states have active programs." He said Highway Watch continues to seek trained members."

www.cnn.com...

If this is an "all volunteer program" then what is the $40 million for?

I mean this is a good idea, but CNN doesn't even think to ask the question because of their big Gov bias.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Quoting from the article you posted:
"Training for membership takes about an hour, said Stephanie Fouts, Highway Watch program manager. She said each of the "tens of thousands" of members is assigned an identification number to use when making a report to the around-the-clock operation.

Joe Smith, a trainer for the watch program, said it isn't an alternative to 911 or local law enforcement agencies but has resources to help provide a better coordinated response if multiple agencies might need to be involved."

I guess the money is used for the training, the ID number, and the manpower associated with it? Perhaps there is a special "task force" which is set up to receive the calls from the truckers? That all costs money, and something nationwide would be expensive no matter what it was.
Like you, I think it's a great idea. Somebody is thinking ahead!

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Good Idea???

Hmmm I disagree.
The reason things like this are not allready in place (ie. tatle tale networks) is that it can be missused. We'll see

join