It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump team seeks agency records on border barriers, surveillance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   

In a wide-ranging request for documents and analysis, President-elect Donald Trump's transition team asked the Department of Homeland Security last month to assess all assets available for border wall and barrier construction.

The team also asked about the department's capacity for expanding immigrant detention and about an aerial surveillance program that was scaled back by the Obama administration but remains popular with immigration hardliners. And it asked whether federal workers have altered biographic information kept by the department about immigrants out of concern for their civil liberties.

www.reuters.com...

So Trump is not just talk, as some accuse him of being, and trying to stuff him into the stinky-smelling box of typical politicians. Maybe because he's not your typical politician. Point is, his team is already on this, looking at costs for adding the new border wall.

Reuters reviewed a copy of the report, which estimated the cost of building fencing along the northern border fence would be $3.3 billion and cover 452 miles along border of Canada and the states of Washington, Idaho, Montana, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.

Adding 413 miles of fencing on the southwest border would be more expensive, according to the estimate of $11.37 billion, because it would be aimed at keeping pedestrians as well as vehicles from crossing.

Now a northern border wall I don't know that I am down with, as that might be excessive. But if they deem it necessary, then so be it. They may be figuring that just one on the southern border would create a situation whereby infiltrators would immediately move to try and come in through Canada- so therefore, kill two birds with two walls. Wouldn't be the first time birds flew into walls.

Seems he'll have to step up the war on drugs if he wants to still pay for this with confiscated cartel money. I have mixed feelings about any tax increases for this effort- frankly because I am already being taxed...

...TO FRICKEN DEATH.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   
He's jumping the gun isn't he? Surely there's some technicality yet undiscovered that the other guys can use to keep him from getting sworn in? You go at jamming up the illegal drugs pipeline and that's a big no-no.
edit on 3-1-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I'd rather my tax money go toward building The Wall, than toward war, abortion, and ISIS. Let's git 'er done!

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Trump was the only candidate, I repeat the only candidate, that even addressed the issue that is the biggest heroin epidemic this country has ever seen via the narcoterrorist cartels smuggling it across the Mexican border.

Bernie had something to say about big pharma, which was pleasant to see but only about 8 years too late. Big pharma created the opiate market with roxys and when the DEA & FDA cracked down, the void was filled by the Mexican cartels pushing heroin.

Not to mention that about 90% of the heroin coming out of Mexico contains fentynol, made by the cartels with ingredients they've purchased from China.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Heh, so I wonder what Trump thinks about drugs Made in America? Cheaper, better, delivered under budget and ahead of schedule?

Lol. Ok. Never mind... ugh.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   
If there will be a wall build, then it is not to keep low wage slaves out, it´s to keep US american low wage slaves in!

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: DerBeobachter
If there will be a wall build, then it is not to keep low wage slaves out, it´s to keep US american low wage slaves in!

You do realize everyone has the ability to come and go out of the country as we please? Even American low wage slaves have it better than the low wage illegals hiding like roaches in the housing projects.

It's not exactly the same but there are a lot of similarities.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   
The "wall" et al, is a combination of surveillance, sensors, and patrol.

Any reference to completing the "wall" has to include all aspects, not just the fence part. In some places fences aren't practical.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   
What about two fences with thousands of autonomous armed robots/drones on patrol.

Maybe something sci-fi like the little buggers from Screamers (1995) but better controlled.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

The "wall" et al, is a combination of surveillance, sensors, and patrol.

Any reference to completing the "wall" has to include all aspects, not just the fence part. In some places fences aren't practical.

please....ATs is a "no-critical-thinking-zone"....respect the boundaries, adhere to only emotional diatribes that inflame, NOT practical thinking as you are indicating.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bramble Iceshimmer
What about two fences with thousands of autonomous armed robots/drones on patrol.

Maybe something sci-fi like the little buggers from Screamers (1995) but better controlled.

well we could get companies to invest in th ewall...such as Train companies who would love to expand their lines. A huge wall with a bullet train/cargo hauler on the top. nonstop coast to coast or some stops along the way to major cities.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

www.cbc.ca...

"I think if I was Canada, I'd be worried," said host Adam Hills. "There's every chance they're going to face an influx of American refugees and they are harder to look after any other refugees."

Hills then joked that Americans need more food and "don't speak basic English."

"They carry more guns and refuse to assimilate with other cultures," he added.

Lol. Good to know Trump hasn't forgotten about Cdns.
It's cold and frozen right now, but there's been Canadians volunteering to help...

brickingitforcanada.com...

😊

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

In face to face debates with leftist friends of mine I would raise the issue of illegal drugs being peddled across our border and almost every time, as if it were rehearsed, the response would be "Well, you'll never be able to stop all the drugs from coming into this country!"

As if we should just throw up our hands, shrug, and give up without even trying.

Of course we can't stop al of the drugs flowing into this country. But if we start enforcing the immigration laws that are already on the books, rather than fumble around making new ones, we will see a drastic amount of lives saved from overdose deaths, human trafficking, dehydration from crossing the border, etc.

And the left was just totally complicit in leaving the borders open. To that I say how f###ing dare they?!

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom

Trump was the only candidate, I repeat the only candidate, that even addressed the issue that is the biggest heroin epidemic this country has ever seen via the narcoterrorist cartels smuggling it across the Mexican border.

Bernie had something to say about big pharma, which was pleasant to see but only about 8 years too late. Big pharma created the opiate market with roxys and when the DEA & FDA cracked down, the void was filled by the Mexican cartels pushing heroin.

Not to mention that about 90% of the heroin coming out of Mexico contains fentynol, made by the cartels with ingredients they've purchased from China.

No wall or barrier of any kind will stop the drugs coming over the southern border as long as people here want them, and people will always want them.

If the wall is built and by some miracle Trump magic it makes smaller amounts of drugs come over, the drugs that do make it over will be more expensive and make the cartels even richer.

Cartels already send shipments to be caught on purpose, and its nothing to send even more drugs this way if border security tightens down. When you can make a product for 15 cents and sell it for thousands no amount of prohibition or walls are going to stop it.

That's the simple truth, but people have been fed lies and falsehoods about it for so long doing what's right seems counterintuitive.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

No wall or barrier of any kind will stop the drugs coming over the southern border as long as people here want them, and people will always want them.

If the wall is built and by some miracle Trump magic it makes smaller amounts of drugs come over, the drugs that do make it over will be more expensive and make the cartels even richer.

Cartels already send shipments to be caught on purpose, and its nothing to send even more drugs this way if border security tightens down. When you can make a product for 15 cents and sell it for thousands no amount of prohibition or walls are going to stop it.

That's the simple truth, but people have been fed lies and falsehoods about it for so long doing what's right seems counterintuitive.

See?! You are a perfect example! You make my case for me!

The simple fact is we are technologically capable, financially capable, and legally capable of absolutely destroying these cartels and we aren't doing it.

We have the means to treat the opiate epidemic within our country's borders. And we have the means to stop the entry of most of the heroin crossing the border.

The DEA is bought off by the cartels, that needs to stop too.

Why? Because!

Anything is better than nothing. And with your attitude, you're sending a message that our kids are dying on the streets and, oh well *shrug*. What are we gonna do?

edit on 1/3/2017 by ColdWisdom because: f*cking russians

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

See?! You are a perfect example! You make my case for me!

The simple fact is we are technologically capable, financially capable, and legally capable of absolutely destroying these cartels and we aren't doing it.

We have the means to treat the opiate epidemic within our country's borders. And we have the means to stop the entry of most of the heroin crossing the border.

The DEA is bought off by the cartels, that needs to stop too.

Why? Because!

Anything is better than nothing. And with your attitude, you're sending a message that our kids are dying on the streets and, oh well *shrug*. What are we gonna do?

Prohibition of drugs has never worked at one time in human history. You're a perfect example of the lies and falsehoods the population has been fed for 100 years gone to seed.

By following your way of thinking we're creating the cartels. And the drug violence in our streets. And the disease epidemics that arise. And the gangs. The fact you think we could wipe the cartels off the face of the earth shows your misunderstanding of the whole issue.

There's 100 organizations waiting to take the place of every cartel you take out. And there always will be, because the money is there. And the harder you make the drug laws, the more powerful and rich you make the gangsters you're supposed to be fighting against.

That's the fatal flaw in your thinking. You're supporting a self maintaing "war" because by fighting it in the way you do, you only create more enemies and make them more powerful and rich.

Thinking a border wall will have an effect on this is laughable.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

And the harder you make the drug laws, the more powerful and rich you make the gangsters you're supposed to be fighting against.

Nobody here is a bigger advocate for dismantling the war on drugs than I am, except for maybe IgnoranceIsntBliss.

I never said we needed tougher laws, more prisons, or more DEA agents. I just said that Trump was the only candidate that even addressed the issue of the heroin epidemic.

And yes we can control the flux of heroin in this country. If 15-20 years ago there wasn't a market for heroin in the USA and then suddenly there was, that should tell you something about the change of policy toward our border. We created the market for it when we allowed big pharma to peddle heroin in the form of a pill.

We have the means to treat people for addiction. Treating them is different than locking them up. I'm for legalization of all drugs, in fact. What makes them high in demand is the fact that they are illegal.

That doesn't mean we still can't do something to stop the addiction problems plaguing our nation. Trump was also the only candidate to talk about gun control being a mental health issue. Well guess what, addiction is a mental health issue, too.

The heroin surge resulted as a response to the legalization of medical and recreational marijuana. Marijuana used to be the cartel's cash crop, once we put a dent in that, they moved on to manufacturing heroin and coc aine. Oh, and let's not forget methamphetamine. They love to make & sell methamphetamine!

Good stuff, too. I've tried it. Don't recommend it, though.

You make it seem like I'm some kind of Neocon, drugwar hawk. When in reality, I'm just trying to create a dialogue for the issue. There needs to be a dialogue.

You're the one turning your shoulder to the heroin epidemic. Well people will be addicts no matter what, so # it. Right?

Most of these people with heroin addictions would be better off taking a legal prescription for marijuana. That's homegrown American-made marijuana, mind you.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   

a reply to: underwerks

And the harder you make the drug laws, the more powerful and rich you make the gangsters you're supposed to be fighting against.

Nobody here is a bigger advocate for dismantling the war on drugs than I am, except for maybe IgnoranceIsntBliss.

I never said we needed tougher laws, more prisons, or more DEA agents. I just said that Trump was the only candidate that even addressed the issue of the heroin epidemic.

And yes we can control the flux of heroin in this country. If 15-20 years ago there wasn't a market for heroin in the USA and then suddenly there was, that should tell you something about the change of policy toward our border. We created the market for it when we allowed big pharma to peddle heroin in the form of a pill.

We have the means to treat people for addiction. Treating them is different than locking them up. I'm for legalization of all drugs, in fact. What makes them high in demand is the fact that they are illegal.

That doesn't mean we still can't do something to stop the addiction problems plaguing our nation. Trump was also the only candidate to talk about gun control being a mental health issue. Well guess what, addiction is a mental health issue, too.

The heroin surge resulted as a response to the legalization of medical and recreational marijuana. Marijuana used to be the cartel's cash crop, once we put a dent in that, they moved on to manufacturing heroin and coc aine. Oh, and let's not forget methamphetamine. They love to make & sell methamphetamine!

Good stuff, too. I've tried it. Don't recommend it, though.

You make it seem like I'm some kind of Neocon, drugwar hawk. When in reality, I'm just trying to create a dialogue for the issue. There needs to be a dialogue.

You're the one turning your shoulder to the heroin epidemic. Well people will be addicts no matter what, so # it. Right?

Most of these people with heroin addictions would be better off taking a legal prescription for marijuana. That's homegrown American-made marijuana, mind you.

You do realize there's been a gigantic heroin epidemic in this country since it was made illegal in 1915. Some of my favorite books are about heroin addicts in the 1930s and 1940's. There's nothing new about the heroin epidemic plaguing our nation.

Trump using it like everyone else does for political points doesn't mean anything. The only solution is to legalize, educate, tax. That's the only thing that will ever make a difference in any of it.

"Turning my back on the heroin epidemic" lol. My solution in the only one that would actually help people with drug problems and dismantle the cartels and most gangs overnight, along with most of the violence associated with the drug trade.

You have to ask yourself, do you care more about helping people or punishing people? Our current way of thinking on drug use only does one of those.

new topics

top topics

join