It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The end of Medicare and Social Security, how do you feel about it?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Now that the Republicans have control of the entire government, it appears as if they will attempt to privatize or eliminate Medicare and Social Security.

www.newsmax.com...

I think these programs are vital to tens of millions of Americans and I will be more that furious if these programs are destroyed. My grandparents were able to retire with dignity because of both of these programs, and now the same goes for my mom who is recently retired. I also have a sister in law who was killed and revived in a car crash who cannot function and survives on these very benefits. To me this is the kind of political action that elite and wealthy politicians make, not populists or anyone concerned with the financial health of the average American family.

The current economic forecast for the American people is already bleak, and to me this kind of maneuver represents a complete and total disconnect from the American people. Considering that service jobs are the fastest growing job sector in America, what kind of future are we gonna have if senior citizens are too poor to ever retire?

Does ANYONE thing these programs should be destroyed and why?

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   
The problem with social security is that what social security makes on the money loaned to the government is way too low. Keeping the interest rate low to satisfy Wall Street is causing the problem. The issue is a big scam. The government should be paying a fair rate on what it borrowed.

Where has all that money gone over the years, why is our government so far in debt. Could it be because all the jobs making necessary things we consumed got exported? Boy, the people running things the last twenty five years sure made a mess of our countries economic security. Time for change, get rid of that big gambling institution in New York.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: banjobrain

I don't think that is going to happen. I hope it doesn't.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: banjobrain
Does ANYONE thing these programs should be destroyed and why?

I don't care as long as I get back everything I put into them with compound interest ... and the base interest rate should be comparable to my tax rate. That'd be a nice little ROI ... and I'm sure the government can't afford it.

There might be a bit of a revolt if the government just declares those programs insolvent. Had the government not taken out loans on the cash that was in the coffers ... there wouldn't be a problem requiring they be collapsed.

Has anyone else noticed that taking retirement funds away from people has gotten easier than taking candy from a baby? Remember when the 'silent majority' got up and took the election away from Hillary. Well ... they might take the country away from the entire crop of leadership that's in place right now. And maybe put the smackdown on the 1%ers as well.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

There might be a bit of a revolt if the government just declares those programs insolvent.

The revolt will be a few people protesting and the rest of the country trashing them for being rioters and destroying property, the goon squad will take care of the rest ....

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I'd prefer they dont take SS money out of my pay and let me invest it on my own, and I will sign away any rights I have to collect SS when I am older. I guarantee I will have more money investing on my own than the government check I would get. Others should have the option to stay with the current plan or opt out.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:26 AM
link   
*shrugs* I'm 33, it'll never be there for me anyway. I wasn't planning on it being there, and make my own plans for me and mine.

It's a Ponzi scheme that needs to go away. Unfortunately, the Feds can't afford to write checks to refund everyone's money, since again, it's a Ponzi.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Of course, those self-serving cretins are going to embark on the greatest transfer of wealth from the middle classes. I laugh at the Trump supporters who thought a billionaire had their best interests at heart.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Yeah , 2008 all over again. Whats up with all the wayback threads and posts ?
Rerun of "Throw Granny off the Cliff" .
Pathetic

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:31 AM
link   
yes for anyone under 35 its not a security of any kind. its a wealth transfer.
Dont blame young people for bad government policy of not figuring out old people were going to live longer in greater numbers.
Imagine in 40 years when they will be able to start reverse aging. heart disease, cancer, alzheimers is solved. then what do we do with SS when the life expectancy moves to 100 ?!?!

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:32 AM
link   
some of the comments are all "me, me, me".

guess what?

It's not all about you!

s.s. and medicare are for the people that cant do without it.

a means test for s.s. and medicare would be the best solution. if you make over 2x median wage, you get nothing.

"but your taking my money!" yep, but we dont have old people dying on the streets. your call.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormson

guess what?

It's not all about you!

a means test for s.s. and medicare would be the best solution. if you make over 2x median wage, you get nothing.

"but your taking my money!" yep, but we dont have old people dying on the streets. your call.

Yeah, it's mine and I dont want people taking it from me. It is not my fault the government stole these people's money and they dont have any other savings or retirment. Is that my fault?? Why should I be punished for it?

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Republicans aren't "taking away" these programs. These programs are falling apart because in their current form, they are non-sustainable.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:45 AM
link   
This is just fear mongering at it's finest..

I wish some peoples kids would just read before they say stupid things.. Dem fear mongering is all it is..

The privatization of SS has ALWAYS BEEN proposed as a voluntary measure so that people like me, that can think, can independently invest our money and make more for our retirement. No one, NO Conservative, has EVER said we are going to force someone to do this..

GAHHHHHH

Some days it does not pay to wake up.. But I'm Conservative so I have a job.. LOL

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: banjobrain
The end of Medicare and Social Security, how do you feel about it?

Since M'care and SS are still with us, the best that we can do is to tell you how we would imagine how we might feel about it, if and when it ever does happen.
Ah, the politics of fear, our own thoughts/imagination are our worst enemy! *__-

edit on 3-1-2017 by namelesss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist

originally posted by: stormson

guess what?

It's not all about you!

Yeah, it's mine and I dont want people taking it from me. It is not my fault the government stole these people's money and they dont have any other savings or retirment. Is that my fault?? Why should I be punished for it?

no, its not your fault and you arent being punished for it.

because if s@@@ hits the fan in your life and you lose everything, this is what you have to rely on. s.s is a safety net for those that never had a good job. those that work all the time just to make ends meet and never have enough to save.

ive known many people that live check to check, hand to mouth, there entire lives. they get too old or too disabled to work and retire. they then live off $735 a month, or $8,830.84 a year (2017 payment). so yeah, if your retirement plan pays you more, then why begrudge a poor person their little bit to get by?

edit on 3-1-2017 by stormson because: e.t.a.

edit on 3-1-2017 by stormson because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: cynicalheathen
*shrugs* I'm 33, it'll never be there for me anyway. I wasn't planning on it being there, and make my own plans for me and mine.

It's a Ponzi scheme that needs to go away. Unfortunately, the Feds can't afford to write checks to refund everyone's money, since again, it's a Ponzi.

It's hardly a ponzi scheme. When Bush came to office it had a surplus, all they would have to do is make sure the damn politicians can't get to it.

My grandparent and parents worked high paying jobs and saved but that money and insurance was a real life saver.

I sure hope it's there, I am certainly not gonna amass several million dollars for a self funded retirement.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Medicare is not going to end while any of us are alive. It will go through adjustments, but it will not "end".

Social Security will stay as is for people who are over 50, or so. Those who are younger will have the option to save for their own retirement, instead of forking money over to Uncle Sam. I hope they take advantage of this option. People die every day who have only drawn a Social Security check for 5 years or less. The checks come to an abrupt stop..even if the retiree worked and contributed to the fund for 40 years. That sucks! If I kick the bucket after 3 years of retirement, I want my children to have the nest-egg. Under the current system, my nest-egg would be distributed to everyone BUT my children.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:19 AM
link   

I think you nailed it, with the word dignity.

Progress and automation, are making the value of labor, whether physical or mental, obsolete. However, economies must have a basis. Some form of basic income is inevitable. "Welfare" is a poisoned label. "Food Stamps", likewise.

Howzabout we just distribute the Progress Dividend to everyone....let them decide how to spend it....returning to an actual free market, where individual consumers decide what to spend on, an call it a day?

Things would very quickly find their actual prices. And all work would become compensated, automatically. Want to stay home and raise your own kids? Check. Want to care for your aging parents? Check. Want to manage welfare cheating? ....ummmm.....sorry. no make-work jobs available. Find something you like to do, that people will willingly pay for.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Where has all that money gone over the years, why is our government so far in debt. Could it be because all the jobs making necessary things we consumed got exported? Boy, the people running things the last twenty five years sure made a mess of our countries economic security. Time for change, get rid of that big gambling institution in New York.

I'd say the elephant sitting on the 800 lb. gorilla in the room is how much the government spends on "defense."

The government said we needed to spent $2 billion a week fighting the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. The government said we needed to bail out the banks in 2008. The government says there isn't enough money to take care of veterans, so apparently we need charities for that. Now the government has to consider if there is enough money to take care of the people who paid into the system. But you can bet there will be funding for the NSA's global spying program.

There will be no discussion about ending invasions, interventions, nation building, no-fly zones, and regime changes. The money will be there for those things.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join