It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smallpox threat or not?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Is smallpox actually a threat to the US? I've read as many of you have that there is a threat of smallpox being used by terrorists. I even read an article where one of Al Quaedas leaders claimed that not only will they be using nukes on US soil, saying that the nukes were already in place waiting for nothing more than the triggering sequence, but that at the same time they would be using crop dusters to spray smallpox over populated areas.
Now here is the question, isn't smallpox inoculation standard for infants? I know I received it as a baby. If this is the case, then is smallpox really a threat?

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Smallpox outbreaks have occurred from time to time for thousands of years, but the disease is now eradicated after a successful worldwide vaccination program. The last case of smallpox in the United States was in 1949. The last naturally occurring case in the world was in Somalia in 1977. After the disease was eliminated from the world, routine vaccination against smallpox among the general public was stopped because it was no longer necessary for prevention.

Where Smallpox Comes From
Smallpox is caused by the variola virus that emerged in human populations thousands of years ago. Except for laboratory stockpiles, the variola virus has been eliminated. However, in the aftermath of the events of September and October, 2001, there is heightened concern that the variola virus might be used as an agent of bioterrorism. For this reason, the U.S. government is taking precautions for dealing with a smallpox outbreak.

www.hhs.gov... some google info

[edit on 103131p://240110 by instar]

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Concern about a Smallpox Attack

The majority of the respondents (64 percent) said they believed that an attack by terrorists using smallpox would be likely if the United States took military action against Iraq; 20 percent thought it would be very likely, and 44 percent thought it would be somewhat likely

content.nejm.org...

Good data..............

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Great info as always Dr.. I'm surprised at how ignorant people are (including myself) of the disease. I thought once you were inoculated, that you were protected for life. I also didn't know that the standard infant inoculations ceased in 1972.
So to answer my own question, this is a real threat.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by superdude
Great info as always Dr.. I'm surprised at how ignorant people are (including myself) of the disease. I thought once you were inoculated, that you were protected for life. I also didn't know that the standard infant inoculations ceased in 1972.
So to answer my own question, this is a real threat.

The recent movie "smallpox" although boreing and poorly produced is a pretty accurate scenario. A single self infected "terrorist" could kill millions...

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by superdude
Now here is the question, isn't smallpox inoculation standard for infants? I know I received it as a baby. If this is the case, then is smallpox really a threat?

US stopped giving smallpox vaccinations to civilians in 1972
At that time smallpox was concidered to be globally eradicated.

At the current speed at which information travels in the US, I wouldn't think a smallpox outbreak would spread much past the 2nd wave. By wave I am referring to the time it takes from infection to detection. Once the first wave is detected the second wave will allready be starting and by that time it should be well known across the country and isolation procedures will be taking effect to control further spreading.

A very good article on smallpox as a bioterror threat....
cryptome.org...

-Scott

[edit on 28-1-2005 by Nemithesis]

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   

The recent movie "smallpox" although boreing and poorly produced is a pretty accurate scenario. A single self infected "terrorist" could kill millions...

Now aint that all warm and fuzzy? Ok now her's another question, what is the actual possibility that out terror buddies actually have this stuff? I believe that they have nukes, I even believe that they have them on US soil - but I find it hard to believe that they would be able to keep control of a bug.

top topics

join