It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mariah Carey Team: Here’s What Really Happened

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Was there an attempt from her team to get her off the stage earlier? At one point one of her backup dancers seemed to motion her to get off the stage.

She should have walked off and thrown the mic at somebody’s head — that would have been a great moment. After the show, I called Mark Shimmel — who begged her to do the show and had her cut her vacation short from Aspen. This is a verbatim conversation. I asked, “What happened?” He said, “I just talked to my guys and I confirmed her in-ears didn’t work. Couldn’t she just wing it?” I’m like, “What are you talking about ‘winging it’? Are you on glue?” He’s like, “What do you want me to do?” I said, “I want you to cut the West Coast feed.” He calls me back and says, “We can’t do it.” So I’m like, “You would prefer to air a show with technical glitches so you can have a viral moment rather than protect the integrity of your show and Dick Clark Productions?” He said, “We just won’t do it. Do you want to do a joint statement?” And I said, “No, I want you to go f— yourself.” And that was it. I don’t think it was an unfair ask to ask them to cut [the segment from] the West Coast feed after they had this huge mechanical glitch.

LINK

Apparently Mariah Carey wasn't to blame for what happened at all. I wonder if this situation could end in a lawsuit.

This article puts to rest any talk about Carey lip-syncing. I couldn't imagine that she could have ever lip-synced. She's is one of the truest of the true artists when it comes to pop music.

This just goes to show how random and dangerous life can be even when you're working with the best.

I read a theory that this event may have been revenge for Carey canceling her last tour. I hope she looks into that possibility because if that's the case, there should definitely be a lawsuit.

www.youtube.com...

Mariah Carey's New Year's Eve 2017 Performance Goes Horribly Wrong
edit on 2-1-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Russians hacked the sound board.

God DAMN you! Putin!

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Erm, she was definitely lip syncing the last song. Unless you were being sarcastic about her being on of the truest pop stars....

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   
People still go to her shows?

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Doodle19815
Erm, she was definitely lip syncing the last song. Unless you were being sarcastic about her being on of the truest pop stars....

Yea I saw it. Every time she stopped "singing" the song was still singing.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest
People still go to her shows?

This "performance" was in Times Square on New Year's Eve. Many, many people were there and it was televised on National Television live

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   
mariah is still popular b/c of her bewbs

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   

That point was answered in the article linked to in the original post. I wasn't being sarcastic about anything in the original post. That's how I really feel.

Fans are also accusing her of lip-syncing. From watching the video, it looked like part of the performance was meant to be lip-synced and part of it wasn’t?
No. It’s not lip-syncing. Lip-syncing is when people don’t sing at all. This is what people should understand. Every artist sings to a track, especially in circumstances like that when it’s really loud and impossible to have a great musical performance. You’re not singing at the Philharmonic. Every artist who goes out there sings to tracks. What Mariah was doing was singing to tracks. What you heard on the second song, “Emotions,” was her going to sing it live. That’s why you heard no vocals. It’s a song she sings every other day.

LINK

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Dude! Her mouth was closed and her voice was singing from the speakers. Is she a pho-king ventriloquist?

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   

The most important thing to her was the sound. The sound was coming in choppy. She was assured it would work by the evening.

She did an interview with Ryan Seacrest at about 10:35 where her in-ear was very choppy. She could barely hear Ryan. She was struggling to hear him through the noise of Times Square.

We then went to [producer] Mark Shimmel, the assigned talent executive to Mariah. And I said, “Her in-ears do not work, it’s choppy, we need new ears for the performance.” He said, “Those are not the ears she’ll be working with for the performance. The ears she will be working with are in the trailer.” We went to the trailer at 10:45. She did touch-ups because she’s supposed to go on at 11:38. We put in the ears and did the mic pack. We walked to the holding tent about 11:20. We told both stage managers — remember this is not our production team, we’re out-sourcing our team which we never do — we told them the mic pack is not working. She can’t hear it, it’s faint. They brought her a new one, and that one didn’t work either, the mic pack was dead. They changed the battery pack. She said she still couldn’t hear. The second stage manager said, “It doesn’t work here in the tent, it will work on the stage.” She said, “Great, let’s go to the stage.” It’s now four minutes to showtime. She says, “I hear nothing in my ears, my ears are dead.” The other stage manager says, “It will work right when we go live.” Then things start to get chaotic. They start counting her down — four minutes, three minutes. Mariah: “I can’t hear.” Them: “You’re gonna hear when it goes live — two minutes!”

Having worked pro audio for corporate and musical events for like 15 years, and having been in that situation many a time, the choppy audio being described over and over is a common problem with wireless mics and in ear systems. Sometimes EM/RFI is so bad, that no matter what you do, even if you narrow it down to isolated spots on the stage, there is nothing you can do other than go wired. Even the best, two channel, pro level wireless systems can exhibit this problem when you are in a super high interference area. And this includes both transmission (from the mic) and reception (to the in ear monitors).

And for that reason I always hated them. For critical events I would always recommend wired mics, or at the very least to use wired mics and stage monitor speakers as a fail safe backups. We didn't used to have these kinds of problems, at least not usually, before wireless came along. But it would be my bet that EMI/RFI is what brought this event down.
edit on Mon Jan 2nd 2017 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker

Yea I saw it. Every time she stopped "singing" the song was still singing.

Her voice is so powerful you can hear it with her mouth closed lol
edit on 2-1-2017 by Prisoner60863 because: corrected spelling

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

So wait, you like Mariah Cary enough to think an "article" proves she wasn't lip syncing, even after seeing her on stage, mouth closed, with her voice and music playing in the background? How's all that sand look, smell, taste, and sound mr. ostrich.

And revenge from who exactly? What phyco likes anyone enough to seek revenge on her for canceling a tour?

I don't understand why people like these over played "artists" anyway, turn off your radio and listen to some real music, cause 99.9999% of it isn't played on the radio. The stuff that's played on the radio is just watered down sugar coated turds for people who can't listen to something original without being told in big bold letters "THIS IS POPULAR, PEOPLE LIKE THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU"

Any way i guess I'm not surprised, all this nonsense coming from someone who also thinks Star Wars is feminist propaganda
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Your a strange duck arnt you

But on a positive note, anyone who could spend that much time around nick canon without killing him, themselves, or having a serious psychological break deserves a metal.

edit on 2-1-2017 by Quantumgamer1776 because: Editing

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Did you really use this event as an example of life being random and dangerous?

Random ill give you but dangerous, dear god you cant be serious right??

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I would like to give my professional guess as to what the problem could have been. See in ear monitors work on a wireless signal. These RF signals can meet interference and this can cause all of the described symptoms. Now in a place like times square there is assuredly a ton of other RF signals...Not to mention a metric f*&# ton of other RF mics in the mix. Usually for these types of situations you hire an RF coordinator to keep track of who's on what frequency and when. He also scans the already present signals to determine what ranges will be best to use within FCC guidelines...You can't step on some other signals and get away with it.

So to me either they didn't hire an RF coordinator (the outsourced crew they used didn't have or hire one) or they had one and he didn't do a very good job. I lean towards the first rather than the second. However I haven't looked at the video so I am going off what the source was saying. Could be she was drunk/high and didn't care cause she was supposed to be on vacation and wanted to party...Then they use a convient bad gear excuse to play it down as it was I'm sure embarrassing enough to affect her future ability to book gigs. More often than not when I get gear back from a show that says it's bad it's either a super simple fix or nothing is wrong with it and it's Operator Error.

Just my professional insight into this.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

It could very well be a case of a gear issue which I would totally believe a good front of house engineer could easily add in a vocal track to cover her ass. Maybe I should go watch the video to see myself.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

Did you really use this event as an example of life being random and dangerous?

Random ill give you but dangerous, dear god you cant be serious right??

Something that should have been routine and forgotten has done a lot of damage to Mariah Carey's reputation. Every time musicians do a concert, it's dangerous in that way.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Thanks TrueAmerican.

But it would be my bet that EMI/RFI is what brought this event down.

Any thinking that security monitoring or jamming RF bands to prevent terror attacks (remote detonations) could have been responsible? What was interfering with the signal?
edit on 2-1-2017 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I dont understand the people who are going out of their way to defend her but as I said previously, she has lost her voice. She was lip syncing because she cannot sing her old songs anymore. Go look at footage of her on YouTube from the last few years. Any time she sings live, she sounds really bad. It's a shame, but it is what it is. I understand you are a fan, that's fine, no reason to get all offended because people are saying she was lip syncing. She was, and does lip sync. She's just not capable of singing they was she used to. It happens.

If she could sing at all, she could have just sang the damn song without needing to hear anything in her ears. It's her own damn song!! She knows it, she can do it without any music. Think about that for a minute. Here is someone who is called a superstar, an all time great singer, and she can't sing her own song unless she hears the music and lyrics in her ears. Pathetic. Stop defending it. Doesn't mean mistakes weren't made because clearly they were. The denial about the real issue here is unhealthy.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   
People should wake up to the fact that most TV performances are Lip-synched, even in the good old days you watched on TV a Phonograph 'Skip' once in a while.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
What was interfering with the signal?

In the middle of Times Square, NYC? Pfft, R U kidding? Anything and everything. And frankly, an experienced show planner should have known better than to even try it. I worked in Atlanta, and downtown was bad enough. Anything downtown we avoided wireless like the plague.
edit on Tue Jan 3rd 2017 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join