It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please Share - Sam Harris

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Im doing extensive research if fields of the mind, i cant get any further in the field i am in without actually breaking moral and ethical codes in society.

However i know that Sam Harris made extensive work about the human mind, and i would love to hear what you guys made of his thoughts ?

Thank you in advance

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang
Im doing extensive research if fields of the mind, i cant get any further in the field i am in without actually breaking moral and ethical codes in society.

However i know that Sam Harris made extensive work about the human mind, and i would love to hear what you guys made of his thoughts ?

Thank you in advance

I'm not particularly impressed.

Mr Harris, by his own admission, took the illegal psychadelic drugs Ecstasy, Magic Mushrooms and Lysergic acid diethylamide ('___') while he was a student at Stanford University and this has guided his beliefs. That said, despite his apparent promotion of psychedelics and particularly MDMA (ecstasy), he has confirmed that MDMA is neurotoxic.

More recently, he has studied the responses of subjects to fMRI (like hundreds of other neuro-scientists), he specifically was looking for 'religious experience' type reactions. As he has previously professed strong anti-Christian beliefs, his interpretation of results could easily be dismissed as confirmation bias.

fMRI stimulates only small areas of the brain and only on its outer surfaces. It is not penetrative and cannot be aimed specifically at areas deeper within. As such, its findings, while fashionable, are truly superficial (in all senses of the word).

The human neurology normally operates at it peak functionality. Drugs distort, damage and inhibit functionality, they don't enhance it beyond its optimum, which is normalcy.

Any talk of 'opening up higher consciousness' is rationally nothing but strong drug induced delusion.

edit on 1/1/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

I understand he uses a lot of the concept of Cognitive behavioral therapy to verify claims to his own biased opinions of a secularized view. Do you have any unethical works on him that you read, his brainwashing thesis are kinda dull despite being correct.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   

I understand he uses a lot of the concept of Cognitive behavioral therapy to verify claims to his own biased opinions of a secularized view. Do you have any unethical works on him that you read, his brainwashing thesis are kinda dull despite being correct.

While there are many components of behaviourism that are undeniably true, there are some conclusions which don't work as presumed.

Mind control or brainwashing was greatly feared and publicly debated for years (e.g: the Manchurian Candidate & etc) but was unable to be reproduced under laboratory test. The current conventional stance is that brainwashing, as currently concieved, even in regards to new religious movements (NRM's or cults) is bunk.

I must confess, I haven't read any of Harris's papers (with peer review and published in respected science journals). The titles I have seen, seem to be an extension of his views by inference.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Enforced trauma,

i hoped he had some material of some venture into the twilight zone, disappointing that he seems like a pre-programmed robot with an agenda.. Lack of creativity, pre-determined answers on questions.

Deducted Sam Harris - from further research

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Enforced trauma,

i hoped he had some material of some venture into the twilight zone, disappointing that he seems like a pre-programmed robot with an agenda.. Lack of creativity, pre-determined answers on questions.

Deducted Sam Harris - from further research

I myself am a traditionalist and would hope that I'm rationalist, too.

I think that there is much in mystical and religious thought that points to transendence but we too often filter it through perceptions that it is of the past and can't be pointing us towards a possible future state.

There are ideas in Transhumanism, in De Chardin's "Phenomenon of Man", Tippler's "Physics of Immortality" and hundreds of religious works that present new paradigms (if we allow them) - Just my 10cents, though.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 02:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Thank you in advance

Mr Harris, by his own admission, took the illegal psychadelic drugs Ecstasy, Magic Mushrooms and Lysergic acid diethylamide ('___') while he was a student at Stanford University and this has guided his beliefs. That said, despite his apparent promotion of psychedelics and particularly MDMA (ecstasy), he has confirmed that MDMA is neurotoxic.

More recently, he has studied the responses of subjects to fMRI (like hundreds of other neuro-scientists), he specifically was looking for 'religious experience' type reactions. As he has previously professed strong anti-Christian beliefs, his interpretation of results could easily be dismissed as confirmation bias.

fMRI stimulates only small areas of the brain and only on its outer surfaces. It is not penetrative and cannot be aimed specifically at areas deeper within. As such, its findings, while fashionable, are truly superficial (in all senses of the word).

The human neurology normally operates at it peak functionality. Drugs distort, damage and inhibit functionality, they don't enhance it beyond its optimum, which is normalcy.

Any talk of 'opening up higher consciousness' is rationally nothing but strong drug induced delusion.

Small correction. Hes not anti Christian. He's anti religions. With emphasis on anti Muslim.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 02:57 AM
link   

I've only just woke up so forgive the brief approach, I will dig out sources ASAP... But I completely disagree, there are substances which optimise brain function and mind control is completely possible. I'll reply with sources before the day is up/when I'm out of bed.

For context I am anti drug promotion and I am a psychologist. Or was at least. Not anymore.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 03:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: plaindoughnut

originally posted by: chr0naut

Thank you in advance

Small correction. Hes not anti Christian. He's anti religions. With emphasis on anti Muslim.

Smaller re-re-correction. He is anti-Abrahamic-religion. He seems to condone the practice of Eastern religions.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 03:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

I've only just woke up so forgive the brief approach, I will dig out sources ASAP... But I completely disagree, there are substances which optimise brain function and mind control is completely possible. I'll reply with sources before the day is up/when I'm out of bed.

For context I am anti drug promotion and I am a psychologist. Or was at least. Not anymore.

Thank you, I'd be interested.

I must confess to no expertise in the field of Psychology, just a general interest (well, I am presumably human).

My wife studied Psychology at University (but chose not to follow into practice) and my brother in law (sadly deceased) had a pHd.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: plaindoughnut

Hes not anti Christian. He's anti religions. With emphasis on anti Muslim.

So racist?

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

I dont understand this?

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Excellent, reasoned response.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 05:19 AM
link   

i looked through the books, or the two you named above.. Idealistically, sounds great.. Like any idea that offers humanistic values, compassion, logic..
In reality, we are bound to physical transcending laws of the universe.. Cant see how cutting those ties will work in reality..

Science made a lot of progress when it comes to neurology, and in the same time, destroyed any concept that has any transcending ideology, simple creatures who believes in to much.. Its just our little reptilian cortex tricking us into doing what it wants..

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   

i looked through the books, or the two you named above.. Idealistically, sounds great.. Like any idea that offers humanistic values, compassion, logic..
In reality, we are bound to physical transcending laws of the universe.. Cant see how cutting those ties will work in reality..

Science made a lot of progress when it comes to neurology, and in the same time, destroyed any concept that has any transcending ideology, simple creatures who believes in to much.. Its just our little reptilian cortex tricking us into doing what it wants..

Tech:
Stage 1 - clunky, heavy, inefficient, barely functional, luggable. Like the old 'brick' mobile phones.

Stage 2 - streamlined, reliable, convenient, portable. Like the 'Nokia' pre-smartphone phones.

Stage 3 - miniscule, multifunctional, efficient. Like smartphones.

Stage 4 - very efficient, immersive (VR) interfaces, connectivity under all circumstances, robust and near indestructible, self-healing systems.

Stage 5 - implanted noin-bio tech.

Stage 6 - biologically engineered, external or implantable.

Stage 7 - engineered into us, like having the features of a smartphone existing as part of our biological makeup and requiring no other technology. Akin to having a radio-communication organ and a digital processing organ.

It is fairly inevitable and technologically driven. It may give rise to new "spiritual" capacities but is more likely to expand our cognition, social interractions and physical capabilities.

edit on 3/1/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 01:27 AM
link   

We can create this, doesnt mean we fit into it

new topics

top topics

join