It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mariah Carey's New Year's Eve 2017 Performance Goes Horribly Wrong

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 11:41 PM
link   

www.youtube.com...

Mariah Carey‘s performance on Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve 2017 did not go as planned and Twitter instantly reacted to the incredibly awkward moment.

After the 46-year-old entertainer clearly lip-synced to the class song “Aude Lang Syne,” the backing track for “Emotion” started and Mariah did not seem prepared for that song to play.

“Well, Happy New Year! We can’t hear!” Mariah said while trying to figure out where in the song she was supposed to be. “We didn’t have a check for this song, so we’ll just say it went to number one… I’m going to say let the audience sing.”

LINK

The sad thing about this is that Mariah Carey obviously can really sing. Why in the world would she be lip-syncing?

I can understand why someone like Britney Spears needs to lip-sync when she's doing strenuous dancing while she should be singing. Mariah Carey was just standing there!

Why would a Mariah Carey fan pay to see her perform live again? What's the point?
edit on 31-12-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

In a crowd and venue like that, it's hard to accurately hear your music and make your cues. I guess that's why they lip-sync.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The cold might have a great deal to do with it. Monitoring systems are generally pretty good these days, but cold temps will crush any musician's ability to deliver their best performance, whether vocal or instrumental.

I played bluegrass semi-pro and one of the seasonal gigs I would get is hayrides in the fall. It took me nearly all the first season to figure out how to properly care for myself in order to perform. Tell you one thing, it'll make you as a musician.

Back in 2009 at Obama inauguration, Yo-yo Ma (et al) had to "finger-sync" along to a recording because of the cold.

The players and the inauguration organizing committee said the arrangement was necessary because of the extreme cold and wind during Tuesday’s ceremony. The conditions raised the possibility of broken piano strings, cracked instruments and wacky intonation minutes before the president’s swearing in (which had problems of its own).

I hope I used the external quote function correctly; it's the first time I've used it.

edit on 1-1-2017 by MiddleInitial because: Added quote

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInitial

The cold might have a great deal to do with it. Monitoring systems are generally pretty good these days, but cold temps will crush any musician's ability to deliver their best performance, whether vocal or instrumental.

I played bluegrass semi-pro and one of the seasonal gigs I would get is hayrides in the fall. It took me nearly all the first season to figure out how to properly care for myself in order to perform. Tell you one thing, it'll make you as a musician.

I completely forgot about the cold.

I remember having to play outside in the band in high school, and i remember that no matter how carefully you could tune, if it was cold on a fall evening, your instruments would all be out of tune as soon as the first quarter of the football game was done, sooner some nights.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Go on YouTube and watch performances from her over the past few years, she doesn't have the ability to sing those songs anymore. She hasn't for a while as she has really lost her voice. It amazing how some people lose so much of their voice and others gradually lose a little at a time. She has lost a lot and it's clear when she actually sings and doesn't lip sync.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Did you play some sort of horn? I'm not totally familiar with how those instruments are affected...is it primarily finger dexterity that's compromised? String instrumentalists face the hellish reality of both wood and string material fluctuating under extreme circumstances, in addition to circulation in the limbs.
edit on 1-1-2017 by MiddleInitial because: Grammar

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   

The funniest thing was her crew.

Earlier in the day, when they were planning and scheduling. . they actually asked when the "ball" was going to drop.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

That's amazing.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInitial

Apparently Daily Mail has an article on it.

www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 1-1-2017 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

It's somewhat baffling that she was hired for the event. Don't get me wrong, I respect her vocal ability (in spite of not being a fan). I think she's notorious for arriving late for her own events...why would the producers chance it?

Mariah said herself that they didn't perform a sound check for the song in question, but everything was fine for the one preceding. I wonder why?
edit on 1-1-2017 by MiddleInitial because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:33 AM
link   

To me, it looked like her earpiece went bad. With all that noise, you sing along to an earpiece.

People were having fun. She could come out and read a commercial and it would sound good lol.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

In a crowd and venue like that, it's hard to accurately hear your music and make your cues. I guess that's why they lip-sync.

Exactly. Or it is partially lip sync and partially not, but it seemed there were equipment problems.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Whatever it was, she responded very well. No doubt a challenging performance situation.

Could very well have been a production snafu. If cold weather demanded lip-syncing to a guide track with a low guide vocal, it might be that they accidentally fed her an instrumental-only track, and she didn't know when her downbeat was.

I got too wrapped up in my own diagnosis of it, from being a musician. Since she said "We can't hear", it seems likely they literally had nothing in their monitors. Big problem, either way.
edit on 1-1-2017 by MiddleInitial because: Made an addition

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:40 AM
link   
OMG!!

I was watching live. (7sec delay) Kathy and Anderson. And it was mentioned in there show that something went down bad.

Hahaha....

Sorry, but that's live entertainment sometimes.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Some classic pop shows like Top Of The Pops require the "artists" to lip sync. I've heard New Order broke through that barrier, that's the only reason I'm aware of it.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 01:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInitial
a reply to: reldra

Whatever it was, she responded very well. No doubt a challenging performance situation.

Could very well have been a production snafu. If cold weather demanded lip-syncing to a guide track with a low guide vocal, it might be that they accidentally fed her an instrumental-only track, and she didn't know when her downbeat was.

Yes, she did. Was obvious to me there were technical issues and people enjoyed the show nonetheless. She is a real professional.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

TOTP miming policy has changed several times, reflecting changes in musician's union contracts. The Who, Elton John, Bowie, and New Order (among others) have chosen to perform live. It is unclear to me why some but not others have been able to dictate terms of their performances.

Some performances feature "canned" backing tracks but live vocals. Take, for instance, Nirvana's appearance. Kurt performs guitar as if he's a animatronic device onstage at Chuck E. Cheese - clearly NOT playing at all - while he sings an octave below the melody on the record. It is a hilarious way to make light of the fakery sometimes demanded in TV performances.

youtu.be...

Not sure how to make the video show here. I'm using my phone, and a neophyte. Watch it - it's funny.

edit on 1-1-2017 by MiddleInitial because: Punctuation

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 02:23 AM
link   
If Obama wants to add her to the pardon list, I have no objection. 2016's over, thank God. Time to move on.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Fake Music !

the only question now is whether or not the Russians were behind it...

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 04:16 AM
link   
They made a big deal out of Milly Vanilly lip syncing back in the day, ELO did it too. I heard that Yes would use sampling technology during concerts as well. My brother played drums in a band and had to do it for a live TV broadcast, I believe the singer was the only live part of the performance. Of course, with an auto-tuner on vocals, even that can be "faked" to a great extent.

Personally I like the variation and raw feel of truly live music during a performance. It used to be accepted in live recordings of concerts, esp. bootlegged albums. If I want to hear a perfect rendition of a band's music, I'll listen to the original studio production. Live isn't really live anymore, or real for that matter.

I'd rather go see local musicians in small venues playing real live music any day. Not like many people take the time and effort to play the bars any more, at least in my region, the money and drawing power just isn't there anymore for local bands, not to mention most places would rather hire a DJ for less money.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join