It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Politics don't mean anything

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

You're absolutely right, we feed it and it in turn feeds our egos. The bigger the ego, the less likely it is for someone to admit and realize they're wrong. That's why they feed it to us on a daily basis, got to keep our egos overweight and resistant to change.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: METACOMET

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Politics is just opinion shaped by age, experience, knowledge, and life.

I disagree. Government is monopolization of organized force. It is command and compulsion. It is a coercive organization asserting a monopoly over the use of physical force exercising power over its subjects.

Government is force, and politics is the process of deciding who gets to use it on whom.

(sits back and is lightly rocked on my heels)

That's actually a very good answer.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:27 AM
link   
It is literally a politicians job to lie.

They say what gets them elected and reneg on campaign promises but always take care of their campaign doners who finance everything sometimes even for an already wealthy politician because you don't spend your own money if you don't have to.

It's not a high paying career, maximum is 400,000 a year for a president, correct me if I'm wrong, and these are people from middle class backgrounds a lot of the time but get prestigious scholarships and a great education that could make money in the private sector but they owe their patrons and doners and don't let them down.

They let us down every single time.

Still a great country, I guess there was genius in the architects of American democracy the likes of which the world may never see again.

But their dream still lives. U.S. of Atlantis II.
edit on 1-1-2017 by TerriblePhoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:44 AM
link   

I am glad you reached a conclusion you are comfortable with. However I don't see 'joining a side' as being divisive. I have to go with my conscience and the group that most matches it. I don't buy into the 'they are both the same' thing. I thinl that is much too simplistic.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

I am glad you reached a conclusion you are comfortable with. However I don't see 'joining a side' as being divisive. I have to go with my conscience and the group that most matches it. I don't buy into the 'they are both the same' thing. I thinl that is much too simplistic.

The sides aren't the same, but the rotating people in power who benefit from them are.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: reldra

The sides aren't the same, but the rotating people in power who benefit from them are.

Some of them, yes.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   

I disagree. Government is monopolization of organized force. It is command and compulsion. It is a coercive organization asserting a monopoly over the use of physical force exercising power over its subjects.

Government is force, and politics is the process of deciding who gets to use it on whom.

Now that is a good answer. I wish the government would stay out of my personal life. It is the Right that mainly wants into my personal life. Into my body, into my bedroom. It's just perverted. It;s like the right has a fetish. I don't see the left attempting to do that. Until the right can stop doing that, I won;t take them seriously.

That is the difference.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 01:01 AM
link   
For some there comes a time when we no longer want to be defined by a manufactured ideology that a large majority of society accepts and follows. It's been a life long and continued learning experience for me, but I've always resented the fact that others want to group me into one single linear mindset. Although I'm only human and guilty of judging others, I try my best not to do so. In todays world it's a challenge to just be me.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I feel the same as you OP
Not so much on this message board, but on others,
When I criticized Obamacare, I was labeled a Republican or Necon
When I criticized Crony Capitalism I was labeled a Liberal.

The only difference between the parties is the rhetoric and drama to divide us but the actions from both parties is the very same.
Serving the top elite at the average American's expense.

There is not one difference in economic policy between Obama and Bush and Trump is well on his way in allowing these same people behind these scenes to have their way.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Let's start with a simple one:

Do you think a man should murder other men?

How do you define murder?

Well now you are bringing culture and politics into it. I thought you were beyond that.

It's a simple question.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

That is the best description ever of government and politics. Pure gold.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Well now you are bringing culture and politics into it. I thought you were beyond that.

It's a simple question.

Nope. You're bringing culture and politics into it. Murder being wrong doesn't make any type of political ideology right.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Lots of excuses for failure in 2016.

More coming in 2017.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Lots of excuses for failure in 2016.

More coming in 2017.

We're talking politics, so excuses for failure is the name of the game, no matter who you are.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Wow. That is very well put. Hope you don't mind if I use a variation of this in my discussions.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   

It's a simple question.

Nope. You're bringing culture and politics into it. Murder being wrong doesn't make any type of political ideology right.

Oh, so you DO think murder is wrong, and let me remind you -- YOU were the one who brought up politics here. I only asked a question for you that was "yes" or "no" unless you chose to make it otherwise.

Now let me ask you something else:

Is that an objective or subjective truth?
edit on 1-1-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I take it you mean the politicians will have plenty of excuses for their failures.

So, very true; failure is near impossible for them to avoid. Its really kind of neat when you think about it that way.

So, my prediction for 2017? Put in the language of a friend of mine:

"In 2017, US Politicians will repeatedly drink from the Fountain of Fail using a cup of epic proortions"

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: xuenchen

I take it you mean the politicians will have plenty of excuses for their failures.

So, very true; failure is near impossible for them to avoid. Its really kind of neat when you think about it that way.

So, my prediction for 2017? Put in the language of a friend of mine:

"In 2017, US Politicians will repeatedly drink from the Fountain of Fail using a cup of epic proortions"

If they succeeded, there would be no more problems left for them to solve and no more need for them.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

It's a simple question.

Oh, so you DO think murder is wrong, and let me remind you -- YOU were the one who brought up politics here. I only asked a question for you that was "yes" or "no" unless you chose to make it otherwise.

Now let me ask you something else:

Is that an objective or subjective truth?

What are you even talking about? Stop trying to rope a dope me into some position where you can label me an ideology.

Just because you use ideologies to make better sense of the world around you doesn't mean they mean anything to me or are even real in any sense outside of your own.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join