It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft kept artificially alive must cost tax payers a fortune

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
a reply to: Aazadan

With those tools i linked above you can extract the code.

OR go here. source code initiative

OR search for it on GITHUB. point is you can get it if you try,and actually look.

Your previous links basically said nothing, it was just ways to configure options in Windows. One can do that while adhering to black box principles. I wasn't aware of the Microsoft Shared Source program, but again that still doesn't change black box concepts. When you alter a value in Windows to change something, all you're after is the output, you don't care how things are internally changing.

With a black box you can alter all the input values you want. What you're not altering is how those values are internally processed.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   

a reply to: Aazadan

With those tools i linked above you can extract the code.

OR go here. source code initiative

OR search for it on GITHUB. point is you can get it if you try,and actually look.

Please, provide link to windows kernel source code

No, you can not. It is accessible only on need to know basis even for top bras in M$.

And this is security problem called black box. You can not be sure what is happening with data, unless you are able to audit whole stack from app through kernel to driver. And just to be sure mirror packet flow on switch for thorough analysis ...

GNU/Linux is completely open source. Debian is "clean": in code base is NO proprietary software and it is working in my case on 40+ productive servers. I just can not imagine how I would do it on Windows
Licensing nightmare, limited users, limited sizes of DBs ... And the cost ... Electricity, RAM, storage .... Windows are eaters ...

BTW just behind my back is old school asus router. 200MHz CPU, 32MB RAM. It is running on basically same OS as my workstation. It is routing, it is packet filtering. Also I can install there PostgreSQL and basically any other application ... For me it is router by my design. But it is basically computer running OS. Same OS as is on my VM servers and virtualisation hosts. Everything from tiny IoT to 498 of 500 supercomputers is running on some clone of GNU. Only workstation market is dominated by M$ - and it is not driven for long time by quality but by costs of migration to better solution.

edit on 5-1-2017 by JanAmosComenius because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: JanAmosComenius

OH like Im going to risk microsoft nailing me for not going through their site. They will give you access to the code IF you sign up for the access to it. So your whole post is much like your waifu...Crap.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: JanAmosComenius
GNU/Linux is completely open source. Debian is "clean"

Does this give you a secure feeling that no one has inserted unexpected code into your systems?

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

originally posted by: JanAmosComenius
GNU/Linux is completely open source. Debian is "clean"

Does this give you a secure feeling that no one has inserted unexpected code into your systems?

No, it does not. But it limit ways how it could happen. Transparency limits it.

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   

OH like Im going to risk microsoft nailing me for not going through their site. They will give you access to the code IF you sign up for the access to it. So your whole post is much like your waifu...Crap.

They will not give access to kernel source code. As I read your posts I'm sure you do not know what kernel is.

GNU Kernel

From your link:

If you are already enrolled in a Microsoft Shared Source Initiative source licensing program then you should have received a smart card, smart card reader, and PIN that allow you to connect securely to the Code Center Premium Web site.

This will cost you something for sure ... and is probably accessible only for companies.

And still you will not get to kernel because not all code is part of "shared source" initiative ...

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Troll.. youse a troll.... i said that youse a troll.(sang to youse a ho by ludacris)

posted on Jan, 6 2017 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Let us recapitulate:
1. I stated Windows are black box and it is security problem because:
2. Unless you have access to whole stack source code you can not do thorough security audit.
3. You pointed out there is some MS portal where is it possible to brows source code.
4. I pointed out there is probably not source code of Windows kernel. (it is behind some license wall)
5. You called me troll.

You are winner

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join