It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft kept artificially alive must cost tax payers a fortune

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Neith

A:

A for Awesome?

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:20 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Kashai

In this case the computers simulated that without Dark matter the Milky Way would not exist.

Well, to put it more accurately. Without more gravity than provided by detectable matter, the velocity profile of pretty much all galaxies (including the Milky Way) doesn't make much sense. Without more gravity than provided by detectable matter, large structures (galaxy clusters) don't make much sense.

But computers only made the calculations easier. Using sliderules would have had the same result, just would have taken longer.

edit on 1/3/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:27 AM
link   
A drive.
That would be the primary drive. The one with the floppy disk.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Actually I used to have this really cool Slide rule and your right it took longer to solve the problem than using a supercomputer. But at no point in either exercise did violating the Ten Commandments end up being brought up.

Admittedly at the time I was really into Doom and am about to download the current version once the price goes down.

But feel that really has nothing to do with it.

When it comes to accessing any of these programs clandestinely I see no real reason to treat them any differently.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Kashai
I had one like this:
sliderulemuseum.com...

Analog calculator.

edit on 1/3/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Actually yes I had one like that as well.

There are actually today several apps for that.

edit on 3-1-2017 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 02:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kashai
a reply to: JanAmosComenius

One could apply the same logic to the European Invasion of the Western Hemisphere.

Not only western hemisphere. We raided all World. After explorers and priests who can not be tolerated on mainland, corporations came. East India company, West India company, Company of Hudson bay ... Short forward, there is another company bringing us a "COMPUTER" instead of good old God and gun powder.

I'm IT professional for 25 years. First 15 years on Win. It was pain. Linux is simply better and easier. It is documented. It is open source. Last 5 years (at least) it is much more (dumb) user friendly then Windows ...

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   

im dumb and i screwed up maverick. a very easy to use OS in linux. Ive just gotten used to windows and its easier for me to use. also Its a myth that windows is the most insecure. If you know what you are doing and update regularly.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: galien8

a reply to: galien8

We have concealed the fact that you should be on at least 10mg of Haldol as well as Cogentin for Extra Pyramidal Symptoms.

Literally.

Though probably in your case 25mg of Haldol with 10mg of Cogentin would be appropriate.

I mean you seriously started a thread about MS program issues and are bringing up a quote in the Bible????

:

I'm a Christian, you wanna have all people that are trying to save souls from eternal damnation, go on haldol? Because of their religious beliefs? I'm afraid your soul is beyond saving
This will be a difficult talk for you and your family on last judgment day with THE ARCHITECT read EXODUS 20:5 for worshiping the beast THE WHOLE LOT OF U

Dude. Judge not lest ye be judged applies here. And The beast isnt here yet. Microsoft isnt the devil incarnate. Sheesh. I guess you prefeeer sony but dont bring the console wars here ok?

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
wait, what? Silverlight?

Excel. Most important software Microsoft sells.

There are millions of corporate drones with large internal spreadsheets and operational business programs which are totally dependent on Excel, and Excel internal functionality & programmability in particular.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

In this case the computers simulated that without Dark matter the Milky Way would not exist.

Most simulations are abstract representations of reality, they can't perfectly mirror reality because there's too many variables to track. Furthermore, you can only program what you know exists. If there's a force in nature we don't know about, we can't include it in the simulation. All we can do is see that the simulation doesn't match observed results, and conclude there's something else going on. Either a simulation value is off, or it's not accounting for something.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

im dumb and i screwed up maverick. a very easy to use OS in linux. Ive just gotten used to windows and its easier for me to use. also Its a myth that windows is the most insecure. If you know what you are doing and update regularly.

Security: When you install Windows, there is ton of purely documented crap you will never use. Still it is there, running, eating resources and offering its unpatched holes to world.
How is it possible to audit security without access to source code? Black box is black box ...

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: JanAmosComenius

Security: When you install Windows, there is ton of purely documented crap you will never use. Still it is there, running, eating resources and offering its unpatched holes to world.
How is it possible to audit security without access to source code? Black box is black box ...

WIndows 10 was GIVEN away when it came out. This mad eit able to be reconfigured how you wanted it IF you know how to do so.

I present to you... links to make your own personal win 10 experience

Now what was that about a black box?

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

In software speak that's still black box. Black box as a concept involves giving input and getting output without seeing the steps in between. Without the code you must have a black box.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

In software speak that's still black box. Black box as a concept involves giving input and getting output without seeing the steps in between. Without the code you must have a black box.

How? Black box wont allow you to modify anything. You telling me REMOVING and or SEEING the Parts of the OS you can compile and even pick or choose from isnt enough? MS will give you the source code if you ask for it.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Yes I ended my win experience with unattended answer file. (This mechanism was present at least from WinXp, probably earlier).

Do you have access to source code of windows kernel? Probably not.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   

How? Black box wont allow you to modify anything.

Yes it does. Black box design paradigms restrict user access to predefined options, furthermore, while they may let you change something you don't necessarily see how they changed. For that matter, black box doesn't even require not knowing how something works. You can have access to the code to see how something functions, but if you don't care how it functions, that's enough for the classification.

Let me give an example here. At the heart of windows and all dos operating systems is a function called kprintf, in Linux there's a very similar function called printk. What these functions do, is they translate system output into machine output for your display to render it properly. These two functions, despite the fact that they're literally called 60 times a second from every program drawing a display on your computer are considered a black box. The reason is because the programmer who is writing your software doesn't care about them (in fact, you don't even need to know they exist... many don't). What they care about is that they can write a draw function, and things are handled from there, the printk/kprintf functions are a total black box related to how the operating system interfaces with hardware.

You telling me REMOVING and or SEEING the Parts of the OS you can compile and even pick or choose from isnt enough? MS will give you the source code if you ask for it.

A black box refers to whether you care about the output or the process to get to that output. And no, MS will not give you their source.

Here's some additional reading on the subject
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 3-1-2017 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 01:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: galien8

a reply to: galien8

We have concealed the fact that you should be on at least 10mg of Haldol as well as Cogentin for Extra Pyramidal Symptoms.

Literally.

Though probably in your case 25mg of Haldol with 10mg of Cogentin would be appropriate.

I mean you seriously started a thread about MS program issues and are bringing up a quote in the Bible????

:

I'm a Christian, you wanna have all people that are trying to save souls from eternal damnation, go on haldol? Because of their religious beliefs? I'm afraid your soul is beyond saving
This will be a difficult talk for you and your family on last judgment day with THE ARCHITECT read EXODUS 20:5 for worshiping the beast THE WHOLE LOT OF U

Dude. Judge not lest ye be judged applies here. And The beast isnt here yet. Microsoft isnt the devil incarnate. Sheesh. I guess you prefeeer sony but dont bring the console wars here ok?

I'm liaison of THE ARCHITECT I have the right to issue the Vendetta curse

posted on Jan, 4 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

With those tools i linked above you can extract the code.

OR go here. source code initiative

OR search for it on GITHUB. point is you can get it if you try,and actually look.
edit on 17000000ppam by yuppa because: opps added info

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join