It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black America Steels Itself for Obama’s Departure and a Future Under Trump

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: DBCowboy

Well, 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

If you don't believe that Masons and Russia are hacking my booze, then read my new blog. . .

Masons and Russia are hacking my booze

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Why do you keep bringing up guns? That is not what we are talking about.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Your entire argument stems from the belief that if guns were banned all these people would have just thrown their hands up in the air and given up. The reality is that guns are very easily acquired from gangs and black market dealers. It is a regular source of income for them. In other words, anyone who has decided to shoot people will do so whether guns have been banned or not. That is the main reason, other than constitutionality, that guns should not be banned - so the law abiding citizens don't have to become criminals to protect themselves from other criminals.

As for stop and frisk, what is the difference between that and a sobriety check point? We had those all over town last night. Completely unconstitutional yet they exist and will continue to do so. They say its not unconstitutional because every sixth car or tenth car or whatever is checked (which is b s). So apply the same method to stop and frisk. Ridiculous? Yes. But just as likely to happen as any other scenario mentioned in this thread.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   

0bama: The worst president in American History

You're full of it. America is much better off than it was at the end of the Bush or Carter administration. And yes, I am better off, and I'm sure plenty of other people are too. Most people I know weren't really affected either way by Obama economically, and all the doom and gloom about him is crap spread by lying, partisan bastards.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

You're full of it. America is much better off than it was at the end of the Bush or Carter administration. And yes, I am better off, and I'm sure plenty of other people are too. Most people I know weren't really affected either way by Obama economically, and all the doom and gloom about him is crap spread by lying, partisan bastards.

Obama is the worst President in US history. Probably the worst leader in the last 50 years anywhere in the world.
It's no wonder that even the black community thumbed their noses at him when he went on his nationwide begging tour to try and get them to vote for Hillary.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

Okay, let's drop the gun analogy.

It is best to leave law-abiding minorities alone. Stop and frisk has detained too many law-abiding minorities who didn't have any weapons on their person.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

So you are better off in some way? And you are sure other people are too, just not the people you know, whom as you put it, "weren't really affected either way". So the people you know are not better off now than they were eight years ago. But you are sure someone out there is... And you limit that to economical measure. America has suffered greatly in many ways other than financial.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

As for stop and frisk, what is the difference between that and a sobriety check point? We had those all over town last night. Completely unconstitutional yet they exist and will continue to do so. They say its not unconstitutional because every sixth car or tenth car or whatever is checked (which is b s). So apply the same method to stop and frisk. Ridiculous? Yes. But just as likely to happen as any other scenario mentioned in this thread.

The difference is, stop and frisk detains mostly minorities. And most of those minorities stopped didn't have any weapons.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   

And most of the people checked at sobriety check points are single males or groups of young people. And most of them are not intoxicated. But it still happens.

Using Chicago as an example, if you go to the highest murder areas what you will find there are minorities. Its not rich white people from the suburbs going in to those neighborhoods shooting the place up. The people doing that are the people who live there. It makes sense to frisk them if you are going to frisk anyone...
edit on 1-1-2017 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Stop and frisk, ALONG with sobriety checkpoints presumes guilt.

Otherwise. . . why "stop and frisk" or "check for sobriety"?

Grossly unconstitutional.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

I'm not a fan of sobriety checkpoints either, although I haven't seen where they target anyone specifically.

Stop and frisk is bad. It tends to get abused by cops who want to mess with minorities they don't like. Even the cops who aren't doing it to be hateful still stop innocent minorities way too much.

The only time you should stop someone and frisk them is if there was a specific crime and a suspect is running away from the scene. Not because they are just walking down the street with a hoodie on or because they are giving the cop the stink eye.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Stop and frisk, ALONG with sobriety checkpoints presumes guilt.

Otherwise. . . why "stop and frisk" or "check for sobriety"?

Grossly unconstitutional.

Hallelujah, we agree on something. If you see someone driving erratically, you stop them to make sure they aren't drunk. Until then, leave them alone.

Same thing with stop and frisk. If you see someone running from the scene of a crime, you stop them. Otherwise, leave them alone.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I think Obama was incredibly effective. Look at where we are after 8 years...

Workforce participation the lowest in history.

More people on the government teat than ever before.

Doubled the national debt.

Country more racially divided than before the Civil Rights Act.

As a Progressive, Obama has done an excellent job at pushing us as a country so much closer to the next big calamity. You know, the one where Government HAS to step in and fix (and so get larger and more intrusive.)

Now, as an American citizen you are probably worse off, but individuality has to be squashed for the good of the collective. Ah yes, Progressiveness. Gotta hate it.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Trump's administration will be worse for inner cities and rural lower income people because:

1) The promise to repeal and/or gut the Dodd/Frank act will remove the predatory lending protections from the most vulnerable, that will in the end create more homelessness as banks once again repossess homes that the homeowners could never afford n the first place.

Also, with Trump's promise to remove or ease "restriction" we'll be sure to see more shotty construction and community planning as contractors cut corners and ignore consequences that will come up down the road.

2) The promise the defund Planned Parenthood and repeal the ACA will have the adverse effect on low income women in both the inner cities and rural communities.

3) Trump's promise to reverse the federal government's resolve to stop using for profit prisons will reignite the public school to prison pipeline.

We can count on seeing more unarmed people of color being needlessly shot as our local police forces become increasingly more militarized and less accountable.

And certainly inner city communities all across the nation will once again be unconstitutionally subject to humiliating search and seizures under expanded "Stop and Frisk".

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure that there are other issues on the Trump administration's agenda that will adversely affect large swaths of people of color, and low income people in general.

edit on 1-1-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   

America has suffered greatly in many ways other than financial

NO, conservative Americans are suffering from ficticious illusions that somehow Obama has destroyed their lives, even though, as I stated, most people haven't really been affected by him one way or the other.

Now with the GOP government Americans are going to suffer in real and tangible ways, such as losing workplace rights and protections, social security, medicare, etc.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Nonstop pointing out the color differences is merely a mask of distraction for people that don't experience all sides of life in their own life... at least that's what I witness.

Its all a rich/poor game... with only the color green at play... sometimes in money, other times in envy and greed. Keep bickering about what color people are and the cycles continue... start addressing each other as other humans, men, women, and children, and then we'll see a turn of focus to the real problems we face in society.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Never?

If guns are never used correctly, then how is it that the number of firearms owned legally in this country is so high that almost every man, woman and child could be armed by their own personal one and yet ... there not everyone is out shooting or being shot?

Interesting that I personally know of several folks who legally own firearms and have always used them correctly to date.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I said never always used correctly, meaning no one can say they are always used correctly.

Okay, sketchy grammar on my part. They are not always used correctly.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

And where would we have been without obama the last eight years? Would we still have the greatest racial divide since the civil rights act? Would we still have 40 trillion in debt? Would we still have a 32% increase in food stamp recipients? Would we still have 9.5% unemployment? The list goes on and on. Without obama maybe NONE of these things would have happened. In that perspective, yes, we have ALL been hurt by his administration. You are arguing speculation of what Trump is going to do. I am arguing speculation of what might have been in the absence of the great disaster obama. If higher levels of unemployment, government aid, and national debt are not important to you, then you will think we have not been harmed. If those things, and the enormous burden of repairing them, is important to you then you will probably believe that we have been injured, perhaps fatally, by this administration. And obama himself has raided social security, just recently I might add. So lets not go off on Trump as if he is the only one who would do that. In fact, lets wait until AFTER he does it to blame him for it...fair enough?

And since minorities represent the greater portion of aid recipients, though non-minority numbers are growing rapidly, it is fair to say they have suffered under obama as well. So assuming that they will be worse off under Trump is risky at best. How much worse can they be? They were unemployed inner city dwellers complaining about how unfair the world is. We threw all kinds of aid at them, free cable tv, free cell phones, etc. And now they are unemployed inner city dwellers with cell phones and cable tv, complaining about how unfair the world is. Honestly what has changed for them? How are they better than they were eight years ago?
edit on 1-1-2017 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

1) The promise to repeal and/or gut the Dodd/Frank act will remove the predatory lending protections from the most vulnerable, that will in the end create more homelessness as banks once again repossess homes that the homeowners could never afford n the first place.

Explain to me why if you could never afford a thing in the first place, why you should have it in the first place. That's harsh, I know, but it's true.

Also, with Trump's promise to remove or ease "restriction" we'll be sure to see more shotty construction and community planning as contractors cut corners and ignore consequences that will come up down the road.

Know that for a fact do you? There is a plethora of regulation and not all of it is actually good. I know you lefties have never seen a rule you didn't like, but those who work with regulatory for a living know that there are actually too many of them and there are quite a few that are either redundant or actually get in the way or even *gasp* harmful to people despite what you might think. These can be weeded out and done away with without imperiling anyone and actually let businesses do their jobs and hire folks to work again.

2) The promise the defund Planned Parenthood and repeal the ACA will have the adverse effect on low income women in both the inner cities and rural communities.

What a joke! PP doesn't operate in rural areas and many of those poor women in rural areas have been forced into monopolies or left without any health care coverage at all thanks to the ACA.

3) Trump's promise to reverse the federal government's resolve to stop using for profit prisons will reignite the public school to prison pipeline.

The pipeline you speak of is as much a cultural thing as anything else. You want people to stop going from school to prison? Figure out how to repair the minority and poor family in this country and put their culture back together so that criminal activity among young men drops and educational success increases.

We can count on seeing more unarmed people of color being needlessly shot as our local police forces become increasingly more militarized and less accountable.

You can address this by seeing above.

And certainly inner city communities all across the nation will once again be unconstitutionally subject to humiliating search and seizures under expanded "Stop and Frisk".

See above. I forgot to add though that people who can find work have less time and inclination to engage in criminal activity. Allowing the economy to rebuild and grow with the first points about lessening the regulatory burden will also help along with cultural repair.

But, of course, neither of us really knows how this will go down. We'll just have to see.
edit on 1-1-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join