It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black America Steels Itself for Obama’s Departure and a Future Under Trump

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   
A tough read for me, I do my best to remain objective and I read things that I disagree with. Many times I am surprised after reading a story I becasue I "get it". This one I don't. This is a story about racial strife and how we as a country are hopelessly divided. Something I don't agree with.

This story goes into how the African American Community stayed home, and Trump was thankful for that.

During President-elect Donald Trump’s recent “Thank You” tour he repeatedly took time to thank the countless African-American voters who decided not to vote. He categorized the disenfranchisement of black voters as “great” and he wanted to thank black voters for staying at home.

“We did great with the African-American community,” said Trump at a rally in Hershey, Pennsylvania. “They didn’t come out to vote for Hillary. They didn’t come out. And that was a big—so thank you to the African-American community.” The predominantly white audience at the rally applauded loudly in response.

Obama encouraged black voters to express individual liberties. But America responded with white tribalism and white supremacy with the rise of Trump. I don't believe that.

The progress that Obama represented masked this ever-present threat, and gave black voters greater encouragement to express our individual liberties. Yet America responded with increased white tribalism and white supremacy, the rise of Trump, and a country that increasingly celebrates the disenfranchisement of African Americans.

Then the story goes onto how the black community will be hit harder than many think when Obama leaves.

In January, the image of the Obamas leaving the White House will probably hit the black community harder than many of us anticipate. Throughout his presidency the GOP wanted to defeat him and destroy everything that he had created. Compromise was rarely a consideration. The fact that they couldn’t defeat Obama and that he will leave the White House as a very popular president will fill black voters with pride. Yet watching Obama yield to Trump and a GOP that is still committed to destroying his legacy will be a hard pill to swallow.
www.thedailybeast.com...

A yearning for a unifying black leader for the black community is needed. Many want Obama to be that black man, they want him to stand up to Trumps bigotry. There are other black people who can do the job too, and the story names them.
Sad to see this "writer" so consumed with the color of someones skin. Does every different colored group or people need their own leader that is the same color?

There will be a yearning for a unifying black leader to emerge from the black community. Many may want Obama to continue to carry that torch. He will still live in Washington, and the image of Obama standing up to Trump’s bigotry in the nation’s capital could inspire many. Rev. William Barber, his Moral Mondays movement, and his opposition to North Carolina’s radical, racist, and anti-democratic politics might become the champion many black voters unite around. Politicians Cory Booker and Keith Ellison could obtain more influential roles nationally within the black community. The Black Lives Matter movement will continue to energize especially younger African Americans. There remain many significant voices that could potentially unite the black electorate in the years to come, and I am confident that we will remain vocal in championing racial equity and progressive change.

edit on 31-12-2016 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I think the Black community lost hope this time around. They swallowed the racist accusations the MSM was pushing about Trump and they knew Hillary was going to continue to screw them just as bad as Obama has...so they stayed home.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I think Trump is going to serve all of Americans. I didn't like to read the story, so slanted and ones sided. But things have a way of working out.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 11:05 PM
link   
thomas sowell is a great role model.

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Are blacks better off than they were eight years ago?
I don't think so.

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I think black Americans will be better under Trump. Obama created more racial division than I thought was possible, and sure didn't do much for either race,

+3 more 
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I don't think so.

Not a single person I know is better off than they were eight years ago. Some people may think they are. Some people might even show you a number that's bigger than the one they had eight years before ... but, we both know it's not as big as what it should be.

0bama: The worst president in American History. There won't be another 'black candidate' untainted by his legacy for generations.

link   

I don't think so.

Lots of Obama Family Pictures hanging all around the homes, stores, and churches in the Black Community. The unemployment and crime rates are higher than they were when George Bush left office. But the psychological impact was positive.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

I don't think so.

Lots of Obama Family Pictures hanging all around the homes, stores, and churches in the Black Community. The unemployment and crime rates are higher than they were when George Bush left office. But the psychological impact was positive.

So they are worse off but feel better about it?

(post by Tardacus removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)
+2 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 11:49 PM
link   
1) Obama is NOT a popular president. I don't believe those numbers at all.

2) Blacks are worse off than they were 8 years ago. Obama didn't lift them up, he only held others down. Some may think this brings equality, but no. I suppose some people take comfort in seeing their friends fail. (paraphrasing Petyr Baelish) "Although, who doesn't like to see their friends fail now and then?"

3) The Black community doesn't need a Black Leader. It merely needs a leader. Trump is that man and if blacks choose not to rally behind him then that's their choice.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Trump said more than once he will be doing something about the inner cities. If those who are low income and inner city ( any race, but mostly black) move in a positive direction, we all win. Hold his feet to the fire over that campaign promise.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I try to live in and want to better Baltimore city.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Had a white person wrote that article about white people...... it would have went viral and would have been called a racist.

I guess being "Two Faced and a racist" is the new "thing" in USA.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 03:12 AM
link   
There's is only one America.

There is no "black America" except in the minds of racists.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 03:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
"...he repeatedly took time to thank the countless African-American voters who decided not to vote. He categorized the disenfranchisement of black voters as “great” and he wanted to thank black voters for staying at home."

“We did great with the African-American community,” said Trump at a rally in Hershey, Pennsylvania. “They didn’t come out to vote for Hillary. They didn’t come out.

I think the author of that article is misunderstanding Trump's words, perhaps wifully.
I read "They didn't come out" as a shortened repetition of "They didn't come out to vote for Hillary". There was probably a shorter pause between the two sentences than the punctuation implies, a comma rather than a full stop. This is the kind of repetition that happens when someone is speaking off the cuff, without a prepared text (which is a good argument for using a prepared text).

edit on 1-1-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Ahh the politics of division...........

Unless any government passes racially based laws restricting freedoms, how are they repressing people?

African Americans are...... Americans after all. And as Americans they just need to be treated as equals.... by fellow Americans.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 04:22 AM
link   
We all have a chance to work locally to achieve small things that add up to the greater good. Don't give/waste your energy/focus on things that are out of your control. Cast light when you can or share the fire when you are in need. May you find, nuture and build your "tribe", strength through unity, during 2017. I refuse to carry the baggage of guilt(or any other nonproductive concept), strive to stay focused on my sphere of influence, go willfully blind to melanin percentage(human character is more important) and seek to find the "rose by any other name" no matter your faith. Don't get me wrong. I am not some winger on either side. You must desire and work for your gains but do so with mentors and be open to growth no matter how painful. Some the most beautiful and strong things are achieved this way; bonsai trees and folded steel swords. I am slightly old school but not to the level of Pai Mei.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 04:55 AM
link   

I am puzzled as to why Obama is considered a 'black' man? and good for the black

community?....

Surely with a 'white' mother and a 'black' father - Obama is neither black or white.

The one thing that he is, is a 'man' so can one not simply say "He is the man who

was *President of the USA * for eight years and leave colour out of it.

Why the necessity for adjectives to describe, and pick at?

# Black/white

# short/tall

# fat/thin

# man/woman

Lets just call them the *President* and leave it at that

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

So you don't like black people and you think they are lazy and inferior.

Good to know.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join