It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats act to save ObamaCare from GOP repeal, Obama to Hill, 'Day of Action'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   
This is getting more hysterical as Obama becomes more hysterical...

I've never seen him work a week straight so this must be important [to him]...

Has Obama ever gone this long without playing golf??

Anyhow, I can't wait to see the ACA dismantled and Obamas presidential legacy erased...
It's so satisfying to see a narcissist get his comeuppance in such an unequivocal fashion...

-Chris
edit on 31-12-2016 by Christosterone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Well, that may make you feel good to just sit there and be judgemental about me, a person you don't know. But that doesn't tell me anything or explain anything in regard to my question.

You're just dismissing what I asked while acting arrogant.

Maybe you could explain why you don't think repealing these things matters instead. You could actually use intelligent and meaningful statements to explain your opinion on things.

You know, like a normal conversation between two adults.
edit on 31-12-2016 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

Isn't Trump also a huge Narcissist??? Without a doubt.

So why the double standard???

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: Pyle

a reply to: Pyle

The letter failed to mention the rising costs ?

Hmmm.

The rising costs of what, health care? The thing that was rising every year before the ACA?

The rising costs of insurance policies and deductibles.

Ah right the things that were going up before the ACA.

But Obama said.

Obama said .......

www.youtube.com...

And Obama said.......

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

I said that wrong, and I apologize. Im in my barn hiding from the party my wife is throwing.

I just say this...i have had to bust my ass for 50 years, from bailing hay to slinging medicine to selling meds.

I delivered my daughter in my living room because we didnt have the money to hit the hospital in 2010. I lived in a tent and built houses whlle paying rent for my wife and newborn back in town...in 0 degree weather.

Im a so so carpenter but a pretty good speaker so i switched vocations until i could pay the goddam bills. Once i started making money, i saved it and still do.

I had 0, i now own a home a farm and pay my own insurance...and 30k in the bank with 200k in insurance.

I know many have more, but it IS MY Job, im father and husband. I will always pay my families way and if i die, they will be able to do so in my stead.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Well their efforts to influence the Electoral College was a flop just like their efforts to get Hillary Clinton elected.

So this will flop too.

I think the Republicans might actually change Obama.Care for the better.

Maybe they can make Obama's promises about policy costs come true afterall !!

Right! This will be just like the disgraceful Democrat Congressional "Sit In" that was held on June 22, 2016.
Ref: www.washingtontimes.com...

Only this time, Obama will be on the floor (literally) with them.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

That's great. Although such a strong character doesn't seem like someone who should be hiding in the garage. But I get it. Believe me. It's just funny to think about.

Anyway, that's very honorable and I have respect for you and your principled stance of standing on your own and building a life you can truly call your own.

But I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the fact that there are literally millions of Americans involved in those two healthcare programs. Repealing them so quickly could literally be catastrophic. Especially since there has been no stated plan on what to do or how it's to be done. Shouldn't we take that into consideration??? I mean it could cause actual deaths and suffering for many Americans in real life terms. People complaining about their money is one thing but we are talking about a lot of Americans who are sick or old or vulnerable that could be in serious trouble here.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Well their efforts to influence the Electoral College was a flop just like their efforts to get Hillary Clinton elected.

So this will flop too.

Right! This will be just like the disgraceful Democrat Congressional "Sit In" that was held on June 22, 2016.

LOL

I remember that gem.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Hey there's still 30 million people without insurance !!!

Obama.Fail

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

So this will flop too.

LOL

I remember that gem.

We missed the most humorous part, because the cameras were removed before everyone struggled to get up, or be hoisted up off of the floor over a 2 hour period! The average age of the sedentary Democrat House leadership is 76.
www.thegatewaypundit.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Hey there's still 30 million people without insurance !!!

Obama.Fail

The Federal EMTALA law that Ronald Regan put in place, takes care of those 30 million, or anyone else who doesn't want to buy health insurance.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

I thank you for your backhanded compliment.

Beaurcracy breeds corruption

Decency does not lay within government

I feel you but freedom, is found in self reliance

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   

So this will flop too.

Hell yeah. It's been 8 years of "we are going to repeal and replace." I can't wait to hear their plan. I'm sure they totally have one, right?

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Obama and Democrats are going to end up losing even more seats countrywide. Obama care is one of the main reasons Trump won.

They still don't get it and will continue to make the same mistakes until they realize that their policies are why the lose not fake news and made up Russian hacking.

Fools.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
a reply to: Profusion

Are you able to think past your wallets for a minute and consider the ramifications of killing off these two major Health related programs so abruptly??

Give me a break, please. Who cares about my wallet? Before the ACA my premiums were rising between 8-11% a year.

My premium in 2012 was $252/mo.

By 2016, my premium had doubled to $502.

Tomorrow, my monthly premium skyrockets to $1068. Can you think past your wallet and send me $500 every month to help with that one-year increase?

The Affordable Care Act is a total scam just like this Administration. And don't even get me started on the b.s. about money grubbing health insurance companies because that has been debunked over and over and over again since their profits ARE CAPPED under the ACA. Shhhhhh. Don't tell anyone about that because it disrupts the left's narrative.

Do YOU care about my wallet? Do you care that I'll give away my dog just to save $23/mo. on dog food, and $350/year vet care fees? Do you care that I keep my heat at 60 degrees to save money? Do you care that I'm eating ramen noodles instead of chicken thighs and salad? Do you care that the only light on right now in my home is the back light on the laptop? Do you care that I don't get quarterly blood panels because I cannot afford it under my ACA policy that has a $7,500 deductible even though in 2016 I paid $6,024 for health insurance and all I got out of it was a free physical; or that I haven't been able to afford new eyeglasses for three years? Or that I'll begin to withdraw from my ROTH retirement and get hit with penalties just so I can find an extra $566 a month for something I cannot even afford to use?

I'm dropping my health insurance for 2017 and paying the penalty. I'll be the second person in this household to do so because of the costs. But I'll keep a dog I love, turn my heat up to 62 degrees, buy chicken thighs and fresh vegetables, and Thursday I have an eye exam. Now I'll have funds to cover normal things in life because I'm bailing on the great experiment called ACA.

Please, don't implore people to think past a wallet. That's something I haven't had the pleasure of doing since 2009.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s

So this will flop too.

Hell yeah. It's been 8 years of "we are going to repeal and replace." I can't wait to hear their plan. I'm sure they totally have one, right?

Only 8% of America is on "ObamaCare". Relatively few of those 8% will not be able to obtain Free Market, lower-cost health insurance. State-based safety-nets will be in place for them, just like they were before insanely expensive and intrusive ObamaCare attempted to fix something that wasn't broken.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I don't care what you believe or how you feel.
My family had insurance before Obamacare.
We were able to pay for it.
We had to decide to keep our house or keep our insurance under Obamacare.
Real life for those of you who do not live it.
We kept the house.
Yes, we have a nice house because we worked our asses off for it.

Some of you have no idea how # works in the real world because you do not live in it.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: EightAhoy

Sorry, Maybe I should have worded that differently. Obviously it made things worse for you as it did for some others as well. But what I'm asking is what about everyone who it helped too. Millions more people are insured now than before and not everyone has it bad because of it.

Then there is the Soc. Sec. issue too. People rely on that to live too. I've been paying it for over 40 years and I'll never see any return on it if it's gone and neither will others.

What about those issues??? I'm not trying to insult anyone here or make light of your problems. I'm just asking a question.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Pyle

Informing voters is some how a call for riots and looting in your mind?

The Democrats need to stick to propaganda.
Informed voters tend to work against them.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
a reply to: EightAhoy

Sorry, Maybe I should have worded that differently. Obviously it made things worse for you as it did for some others as well. But what I'm asking is what about everyone who it helped too. Millions more people are insured now than before and not everyone has it bad because of it.

Then there is the Soc. Sec. issue too. People rely on that to live too. I've been paying it for over 40 years and I'll never see any return on it if it's gone and neither will others.

What about those issues??? I'm not trying to insult anyone here or make light of your problems. I'm just asking a question.

Millions more insured? Just because they traveled through the ACA portal? Anyone can use that portal regardless of whether they qualify for a subsidy or not. Just because 22 million people enrolled using the portal doesn't mean they were previously uninsured. I've been counted five times by now because I've had my health insurance policy cancelled each of the past six years.

And I assure you that "it made things worse for you as it did for some others" it is more than "some" others. Every single self-employed person I've spoken to over the course of the past five years has had policies cancelled, and needed to shop to enroll in a new policy, only to find premium spikes of 25-100% in a single year. With 15 million people in the U.S. being self employed and able to use the portal to shop and enroll, are 22 million MORE people previously uninsured now insured, or are the same people returning to the portal each year because of policy cancellations?

How many millions using the portal and receiving subsidies really just employees whose employer said, "Geeez, I cannot afford $7000 to cover that employee any longer, so I'll just pay the $2000 fine and the employee can go through the portal and be considered "not previously insured" and get subsidized health insurance?"

I know of employers that opt to pay the fine because the company can no longer provide health insurance at the rates now in effect since ACA. And for many employers still offering a 50% match on the premium, they're no longer giving raises like they offered pre-ACA because those monies are being used to off-set the astounding increase in the employer's share of health insurance premiums.

They're not greedy employers trying to cheat their hard-working employees. They're local business people who have contributed to the local economy by employing 20-25 people but no longer can afford to pay health insurance premiums at the current rates.

One employer I know took out a 2nd mortgage on his home and opted to not receive a salary from his own business for over two years just so by not drawing a salary from the company the company could afford to continue the 50/50 premium share for his employees. He believed the propaganda about premiums dropping and things improving and now he has a $100K second mortgage to pay back because he didn't take a salary for over two years and lived off the loan, instead. That is nuts, isn't it? A man who worked hard for 25 years back-sliding to not drawing a salary from his own business while working 50-55 hour weeks just so he could continue to cover 50% of his employees' health insurance. Why isn't cable news featuring those stories?

Regarding Social Security and Medicare
Have you read any proposals? Have you researched? Have you watched any C-SPAN panel discussions? No one is going to lose Social Security. No one is going to lose Medicare. Do you know how much fraud exists in Medicare versus private insurers? I'd rather have my payments go to a better-managed private insurer versus a government managed plan any day. They can deduct the premium from my (future) monthly social security check as it is now done for retirees, but only send it to a private insurer instead of having the government manage the payout. Competition is what reduces costs.

I, too, have been paying into the system for 40 years. Since 2002, I've paid double FICA because I'm self-employed and pay both the employee and employer share of those taxes and will continue to do so for another ten years so I feel pretty strongly about what I get out of it after contributing for what will be 50 years. I studied prior proposals and continue to follow the proposed policy initiatives and experience no fear over whether or not benefits will be available. No fear whatsoever. Maybe I'll need to work an extra two years to collect maximum benefits, but when I was 18 and the retirement age was raised, I recall saying by the time I retire the age for maximum benefits will be 68. And that is coming true.

If people would take the time to study the proposals, and take the time to visit the Social Security Administration's web site and at a minimum read the Trustees Reports instead of getting riled up over what is said or implied on social media and cable networks, a deeper understanding develops and fear dissipates.

With such easy access to "official" information and reports being available, it is unacceptable that the narrative is the sky is falling. I find myself wanting to high-five any legislator who has the courage to address the issues, now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join