It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tyler Perry Thinks Reverse Racism Is Real

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Trump's cabinet, richest administration America has ever seen.

What's racist about that? That's called reality. Stop making the GOP out to be victims, it's pathetic.

There is no such thing as reverse racism, it's just racism and only idiots think that only white people can be racist.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
When will people realize being different is ok. It's not racist to enjoy the company of your own, mate with your own, or want to be around your own. It's natural. People self segregate all the time without meaning to.

How do I know? I grew up on the East side of Oakland as a white kid. With my Mother calling me her baby, and my older Brother calling me buddy, I literally thought my name was cracker until I was 5 because of everyone else around me.

Perry has the right to make a white focused show, and the people yelling at him have the right to do so as well.

God I love America!

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: RiptKeys

Being proud of your race or wanting to be with people you identify is fine. Although being proud of the color of your skin is like being proud you have feet. It's not like you had to do anything for it so I'm not sure what everyone is so proud of. It's a completely unearned, but whatever. The trouble is that White Pride quickly becomes White Superiority. It doesn't have to be white either just to make what I'm saying clear. Taking pride quickly becomes less about how well you've done and becomes how much worse everyone else is. That's what you have to watch out for.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a movie or TV show or whatever it is that he did, has white people in it, so what? that`s not racism, or reverse racism or anything else.
people have gone crazy they don`t even know what the definition of the word racism is anymore, it`s just a word they throw out when they don`t like something.
They want to be taken seriously but stupid # like this makes it impossible to take them seriously.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Agreed, and I think that is one of the first times that has happened, just in time for a new year,

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Kudos to Perry! I have enjoyed watching some of his shows. Admittedly, I think he should just use the word racism, but alas, the climate of the past 8 years has forced Americans to use misnomers of 'reverse racism' due to other trends of using the 'racist' term so loosely!

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

I don't think Perry was right or wrong for this show.

But he is right to point out that people are being exactly what they rail against.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Never ever looked at it like that. I have thought that you can't help what color you are, but not the being proud angle. Nice.

Although being proud of the color of your skin is like being proud you have feet. It's not like you had to do anything for it so I'm not sure what everyone is so proud of.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Guy is branching out looking to expand his base. Funny that those who would criticise his are probably the same people who bring up issues relating to discrimination. Some people regardless of color are better suited to play the victim role and crave the attention and hate the idea that someone else may get the spotlight despite the circumstances.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

Some people are not happy unless everyone is in the same boat. What they fail to realize is that there are people have individual talents that will separate them from the pack. So let's find any and all reasons for not being successful and scream it all the time.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
Perry is brave and honest man when he said the issue in the story is reverse racism. I know nothing about Perry, but I am impressed with this story.

Tyler Perry has a new show about a young women that comes out of the trailer park and into politics, and climbs out of poverty. But hold the phone, this women/cast is white and fans of Perry are not happy (reverse racism).

It already sounds like a cliche Perry saga: a woman with something to hide puts nothing before success and money, risking exposure at every turn. But there is one notable difference, the lead in Too Close To Home is white. In fact, most of the cast is white and fans of Perry are not happy about it.
www.refinery29.com...
Perry says this it total reverse racism, and I agree with him. He is a stand up guy for saying this and I usually couldn't care less about. In the story Perry basically says everyone has the same , we are all the same. Hold on we are supposed to be divided, because of color, religion.......

Responding to the criticism, Perry told the Associated Press, "That's totally reverse racism, because it was coming from African-American people. I don't know if it was because they thought I should only be giving jobs to Black people. Well, I think that's ridiculous." He clarified his views on cultural diversity by stating, “I'm just finding out more as I travel the country and world, the more I meet people, we're all the same." I have some issues here.

The author of this story disagrees with Perry, not a surprise. The author contends that racism involves a systemic and institutionalized disenfranchisement of a certain group of people, not the work of the individual. Bull-crap.

But to call it reverse racism is an even bigger reach. I wish I didn’t still have to type these words but: Reverse. Racism. Does. Not. Exist. Racism involves the systemic and institutionalized disenfranchisement of certain groups based on their race. It is not the work of an individual person, or their entertainment company. I’m not entirely sure why I felt so sure that Perry would understand that, but I was let down. The last time I checked, Hollywood is still thriving while drowning in a sea of white faces. So even if Perry did decide to exclusively employ people of color, it would be exclusionary to white people, but not enough to tip the entire racial hierarchy of the industry. If anything, it would be leveling the playing field.

Guys, here are some counter-arguments to the "only white people can be racist or harmed by bigotry" claims we all know of. These are in brief, but I've developed them from years of ironically working in social justice, and just as ironically having about a 50% SJW friend ratio.

Yeah, first of all, I don't buy the SJW argument that racism ONLY equals epistemic oppression. There are other accepted definitions, including that of inter-personal. The dictionary even has other definitions.

Secondly, even if it could only be based on power, it ignores that some people of color actually have power now, such as let's say a boss, a politician, or a general. If you are a CEO of a company with hiring/firing power, or the ability to discriminate in your contracts, you DO have verifiable power to discriminate and either privilege or harm individuals based on various identities.

Thirdly, frequently SJWs will claim that white people MAY experience prejudicial attitudes or statements from POC, but that because of the lack of power NO real harm can come of it to white people. This ignores the reality of my point about many people of color having some form of legitimate power (CEO, politician, etc), as well as the fact that if a person of color robs, beats, or even kills a white person based on race or prejudice, that these are impactful crimes that do harm the white person. It is difficult to accept that being murdered or beaten to the point of severe injury "doesn't matter" because the person of color doesn't have control over the government or society.

Finally, as a few other posters have noted here, the argument that only white people can be racist because only they have power is clearly fallacious for the counter-factual that there are other countries where non-white people have the majority and control over the system writ large. Here is where you will see many people operate a moving goal post, and they will back track saying "oh well we are only talking about in Western countries (Europe, North America, etc)."

And, if you get too articulate in your rebuttals along these lines, then fully expect the following to be leveled at you:

1) You are blinded by privilege

2) You must be ignorant of history, reality, racism, etc

3) You are a secret racist

---

Have heart, even a lot of old liberals like myself and my roommate are waking up to the insanity of all of this.
edit on 31-12-2016 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

Being proud of your race or wanting to be with people you identify is fine. Although being proud of the color of your skin is like being proud you have feet. It's not like you had to do anything for it so I'm not sure what everyone is so proud of. It's a completely unearned, but whatever. The trouble is that White Pride quickly becomes White Superiority. It doesn't have to be white either just to make what I'm saying clear. Taking pride quickly becomes less about how well you've done and becomes how much worse everyone else is. That's what you have to watch out for.

Of course. And I agree that people have to be cautious about any kind of superiority ideas. I've said it often that there is nothing wrong with subjectively enjoying and celebrating the heritage/culture/country/race one comes from, just out of self respect and it being home to a degree. There is something wrong with thinking that any of the above are objectively better than a different set of such identities that someone else holds. That is superiority or bigotry, racism if it is race-related.

The problem is that everyone and the media now discuss the fact that white supremacy or racism exists, but then fail to discuss or even deny that there are individuals and orgs of other races and backgrounds that act or speak in a similar manner.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Btw liberals:
"Reverse racism" is simply a term to denote a certain sub-type of racism wherein the victim is of the majority race in a population and/or ruling class…

It's a simple definition off the top of my head…
Hope that helps…
Also, water is wet and the sky is blue in case y'all didn't know..

Chris

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join