It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian hackers penetrated U.S. electricity grid through a utility in Vermont, U.S. officials say

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Naturallywired

BTW, whether it was Russia or another state or individual, the Emergency Alert System in Utica did get hacked (proclaiming a creepy message the day before the new jersey train crash).

Tornado sirens in Colorado mysteriously started going off with a tone not even programmed into them having to be manually shut off at each pole.

The east cost was DDOS'ed one night and a large part of Internet traffic was shut down.

Either way you slice it, it's not all hunky dory out there. I'm not accusing Russia, but I won't sit down and act like we are impenetrable, from Russia or anyone.
edit on 30-12-2016 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Naturallywired

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: schuyler

I call BS. Power plants are not online. It's intranet not internet.

Well, but they are. Good Lord, even my garage doors are on the Internet. The issue here is what? that the Russkies hacked the power grid? What is a proper reaction to this? In my view it's to do better security on the power grid. This is a wake up call! The call is to "Get your act together!" It's like an attractive nuisance. It's not BS.
Wrong your just a fear monger er. Seriously just cause you have your gayrage doors on the internet does not mean nuclear power plants are. seriously stfu WITH THAT NONSENSE.

Triggered ^^^^^

That being said while I don't believe the hype that Russia is this all mighty crazy aggressor that is holding our country hostage....

I'm also not naive, years of rhetoric typically do have something behind them. They have some cards to play if this already bad situation deteriorates further.

So yes, they can probably do some cyber damage if shtf
Triggered? Whatever. You are also just spewing nonsense.

No, I'm providing information concerning this whole situation and have provided instances and evidence to back up my claims.

Personal attacks aren't effective as I don't care what face is on the other side of a screen who knows where.

Follow suit and prove your point.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Just more fear mongering by our government. They will continues to ratchet this up until Trump become president.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Naturallywired

Grid doesn't have to be online to be hacked , or otherwise damaged . I agree .

The whole story is even dumber ( esp. if there is a problem that is blamed on someone ) when you take into account the system characteristics you mention .

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
So the US claims Russia hacked the election system, Obama sanctions and warns that they'll cyber attack Russia in some way, so now we have retaliation for retaliation for a supposed hack.
So does this mean they'll be retaliation for the retaliation of the retaliation?

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Echo007

As I've said, I'm not all in that Russia is the boogie man people have hyped it up to be, but there have been discrepancies to say the least as far as our cyber security (not even implying the election).

Dismissing a system was compromised right now is just a partisan decision. And any implication we are impenetrable is Titanic type thinking that can lead to a similar outcome.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: goou111

Do you really think that the United States has not already hacked other countries? We are and have been in a cyber war for some time...

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

Do you really think that the United States has not already hacked other countries? We are and have been in a cyber war for some time...

I dont know what I said that would make you think I think that lol? But if you have a story about the USA hacking a Russian power grid I am all ears.

And I am not saying it has never happened.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   

I already replied with one

ATS

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   

I call BS. Power plants are not online. It's intranet not internet.

Well, but they are. Good Lord, even my garage doors are on the Internet. The issue here is what? that the Russkies hacked the power grid? What is a proper reaction to this? In my view it's to do better security on the power grid. This is a wake up call! The call is to "Get your act together!" It's like an attractive nuisance. It's not BS.
Wrong your just a fear monger er. Seriously just cause you have your gayrage doors on the internet does not mean nuclear power plants are. seriously stfu WITH THAT NONSENSE.

Oh, please! What emotional nonsense. Get a grip! The power grids ARE ON THE INTERNET. If you think they aren't, you are completely delusional.
Believe what you want, it does not make it so. Hug your doggie.

The dog is as dead as your argument.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   

A code associated with the Russian hacking operation dubbed Grizzly Steppe by the Obama administration has been detected within the system of a Vermont utility, according to U.S. officials.

"A code".... What the hell does that even mean?

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

They don't connect command and control systems directly to the internet. However that doesn't mean a program cant get on the system either so there very well could be a Russian program on the internal network its happened before.

www.reuters.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

A code associated with the Russian hacking operation dubbed Grizzly Steppe by the Obama administration has been detected within the system of a Vermont utility, according to U.S. officials.

"A code".... What the hell does that even mean?

Code : Program . "Grizzly Steppe" = US's codename for the malicious code used to access (evidently)

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   
They can turn my power off or put it on remotely through the power lines, they even read my electric meter online. Now this information enters a computer at the plant somewhere so they can utilize the service. You could shut down every meter on that grid if you hacked into the system that way. What else does that computer control. People only punch things into the computer to make them happen, the computer actually does the task of shutting down the circuit.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
a reply to: schuyler

They don't connect command and control systems directly to the internet. However that doesn't mean a program cant get on the system either so there very well could be a Russian program on the internal network its happened before.

www.reuters.com...

Everything has to connect using the internet. They use a separate network called an intranet . These intranets use their own infrastructure (DNS , DHCP , servers , etc.) . They are basically "isolated" within the internet as they are their own ISP.
edit on 12/30/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I'd like any shred of evidence they did it

And really this is nothing new stuxnet ring a bell

Google power plant virus you will find a lot

This case they clame it was a different computer so I'd guess there email computer or the one they use to clock in ether one is online

Unless they can show the Russian government did it and not a Russian hacker this means little

Hackers all over the world hack in to anything interesting

Propaganda is all I see why go public with accusations like this with no proof

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Most likely an NSA/CIA operation to plant a marker leading to a suspect they wish to be implicated.

Just like a terrorist's passport being found at ground zero when everything else is disintegrated into powder and ash....

More fakery by the Obama gangland crowd.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   
WaPO Brennans mouthpiece...

yah... more FAKE NEWS.....

Too bad WaPO has Bezos' money to keep it floating.... they would have been buried by now all the propaganda they keep spewing...

Are we tired of this YET?!

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
This is another story to press the "Russian" meme.

according to officials who spoke on condition of anonymity in order to discuss a security matter

People keep reading enough stories and it triggers the uncontrollable urge to automatically believe the Russian election hacking theories are all true.

Somebody is really pushing this hard.

Right, and people keep talking about "fake news"....shouldn't "news" without any evidence or proof be construed as fake?

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
This is another story to press the "Russian" meme.

according to officials who spoke on condition of anonymity in order to discuss a security matter

People keep reading enough stories and it triggers the uncontrollable urge to automatically believe the Russian election hacking theories are all true.

Somebody is really pushing this hard.

Yes they are, aren't they. No proof proof. As prevalent here as the main stream news.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join