It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian hackers penetrated U.S. electricity grid through a utility in Vermont, U.S. officials say

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I am on the fence about the whole Russian hacking thing but if this is true it's a little scary. Officials are saying a code associated with "Grizzly Steppe"was found in a vermont utility.

They say it was not used but the fact that it was there at all is very concerning.

Going to be interesting to see where this goes.

A code associated with the Russian hacking operation dubbed Grizzly Steppe by the Obama administration has been detected within the system of a Vermont utility, according to U.S. officials.

While the Russians did not actively use the code to disrupt operations of the utility, according to officials who spoke on condition of anonymity in order to discuss a security matter, the penetration of the nation’s electrical grid is significant because it represents a potentially serious vulnerability. Government and utility industry officials regularly monitor the nation’s electrical grid because it is highly computerized and any disruptions can have disastrous implications for the function of medical and emergency services.

www.washingtonpost.com... -ceec-11e6-b8a2-8c2a61b0436f_story.html?utm_term=.8e83d779ec7d

ETA
Sry I cant get the link to work but you can click the link from breaking news here
www.breakingnews.com...
edit on 30-12-2016 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: goou111

Thanks , S&F . Scary ww3 SH*T !

Never have I thought disaster might strike , as I do right now . The bogeyman has been selected ...

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I call BS. Power plants are not online. It's intranet not internet. Infrastructure as this is not "Online", they are a closed intranet. Separate.
edit on 12 30 2016 by Naturallywired because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Naturallywired
I call BS. Power plants are not online. It's intranet not internet.

BS can start wars . OP mentions WMDs/Iraq . BS is dangerous stuff . IMO

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
This is another story to press the "Russian" meme.

according to officials who spoke on condition of anonymity in order to discuss a security matter

People keep reading enough stories and it triggers the uncontrollable urge to automatically believe the Russian election hacking theories are all true.

Somebody is really pushing this hard.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Expect there to be a lot of xenophobic warmongering propaganda against Russia for the next 3 weeks. This hacking drivel was just the beginning.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Slakecontagia

Still a closed system and can only be hacked from the inside, and that means trails. But hey you can believe in boogiemen all you want. Make sure you pull them covers over your head real tight tonight. That's IMHO.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
This is another story to press the "Russian" meme.

according to officials who spoke on condition of anonymity in order to discuss a security matter

People keep reading enough stories and it triggers the uncontrollable urge to automatically believe the Russian election hacking theories are all true.

Somebody is really pushing this hard.

On the other we have to control the urge to automatically not believe it just because Trump.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Well, but they are. Good Lord, even my garage doors are on the Internet. The issue here is what? that the Russkies hacked the power grid? What is a proper reaction to this? In my view it's to do better security on the power grid. This is a wake up call! The call is to "Get your act together!" It's like an attractive nuisance. It's not BS.

(post by Naturallywired removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: goou111

Almost like it is retaliation from this in November.

U.S. military hackers have penetrated Russia's electric grid, telecommunications networks and the Kremlin's command systems, making them vulnerable to attack by secret American cyber weapons should the U.S. deem it necessary, according to a senior intelligence official and top-secret documents reviewed by NBC News.

NBC

This is how things escalate. People from both sides act like they are completely innocent and refuse to look at a conflict from a third person point of view.

It takes two to tango, I love the narrative that a Russia that just took their biggest economic hit since the nineties is just out to take on the world.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Still a closed system and can only be hacked from the inside, and that means trails. But hey you can believe in boogiemen all you want. Make sure you pull them covers over your head real tight tonight. That's IMHO.

A closed system ? Dang , how could anybody get in there ? I guess we're safe , thanks - I'm putting my security blanket and teddy bear back in the closet...

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: goou111
I am on the fence about the whole Russian hacking thing but if this is true it's a little scary.

Since when is this news? We've know about this threat for a decade now.

So now the government wants to start taking cyber security seriously .... or is it just political theater?

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   
The old "electric grid in Vermont" story. Wow.

Not even an ounce of originality.

..Sharks with frickin lasers on their heads and stuff....

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   

A closed system ? Dang , how could anybody get in there ? I guess we're safe , thanks - I'm putting my security blanket and teddy bear back in the closet...
Yep, that's why there has never been a hacking incident. It's foolish to think infustructor grids are online. just damn plain stupid to think so.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

Well, but they are. Good Lord, even my garage doors are on the Internet. The issue here is what? that the Russkies hacked the power grid? What is a proper reaction to this? In my view it's to do better security on the power grid. This is a wake up call! The call is to "Get your act together!" It's like an attractive nuisance. It's not BS.
Wrong your just a fear monger er. Seriously just cause you have your gayrage doors on the internet does not mean nuclear power plants are. seriously stfu WITH THAT NONSENSE.

Oh, please! What emotional nonsense. Get a grip! The power grids ARE ON THE INTERNET. If you think they aren't, you are completely delusional.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Wrong your just a fear monger er. Seriously just cause you have your gayrage doors on the internet does not mean nuclear power plants are. seriously stfu WITH THAT NONSENSE.

Oh, please! What emotional nonsense. Get a grip! The power grids ARE ON THE INTERNET. If you think they aren't, you are completely delusional.
Believe what you want, it does not make it so. Hug your doggie.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Triggered ^^^^^

That being said while I don't believe the hype that Russia is this all mighty crazy aggressor that is holding our country hostage....

I'm also not naive, years of rhetoric typically do have something behind them. They have some cards to play if this already bad situation deteriorates further.

So yes, they can probably do some cyber damage if shtf

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Triggered ^^^^^

That being said while I don't believe the hype that Russia is this all mighty crazy aggressor that is holding our country hostage....

I'm also not naive, years of rhetoric typically do have something behind them. They have some cards to play if this already bad situation deteriorates further.

So yes, they can probably do some cyber damage if shtf
Triggered? Whatever. You are also just spewing nonsense.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   

NO THEY ARE NOT AND YOU KNOW THAT! All you are doing is fear mongering. They are on closed systems and you know that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join