It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Lost Art of the Music Album: What are some of your favorite albums?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Thanks for that great post. I agree that cover art, insets, etc also add to the composition of an excellent album! Nice examples of artists who are inspired to create rather than manipulate (us for money)

Interesting quote by Trent Rezner, as well.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Thanks.

I finally found the actual Trent quotation from which I paraphrased in the previous post:

"Digital formats and streaming are great and certainly convenient, but the ideal way I’d hope a listener experience my music is to grab a great set of headphones, sit with the vinyl, drop the needle, hold the jacket in your hands looking at the artwork (with your [#N] phone turned off) and go on a journey with me."

Quite relevant, I must agree as an artist/musician.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   

"Some of the best albums told a story" When I looked at that, I immediately thought of Rush 2112.... And actually that is one of My favorite Albums! That along with KISS first double live Album Set are My Favs. Well then there is old school AC/DC, Molly Hatchet, YES, and countless others. My Musical tastes vary considerably. Listening to TOOl right now as a matter of fact! No, Sorry, not on an album. You tube....

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Very relevant quote, and that coming from a guy who put out incredible art--movies, videos, cover art, song progression, also experimental music. True that Pink Floyd did all of the above as well (and both really did it so gorgeously- though Trent's were sometimes disturbing beyond my comfort zone- you saw the broken video? Crazy!)

Listening right now to another amazing classic album- Pat Garret and Billy the Kid soundtrack by Dylan. Amazing!

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

Love Tool. Thanks for the post! True that albums that tell a story are something amazing to experience. (See above post for a great one!)

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Alright! Another Tool Head! and Your Welcome! Thank You for Your reply also!!
This:" Pat Garret and Billy the Kid soundtrack by Dylan" I have not heard yet.I'll have to check it out!
Thought I'd post this one here for You!

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: SyxPak

Alright! Another Tool Head! and Your Welcome! Thank You for Your reply also!!
This:" Pat Garret and Billy the Kid soundtrack by Dylan" I have not heard yet.I'll have to check it out!
Thought I'd post this one here for You!

That was awesome. Loved the Pan's Labyrinth music vid, too.

Tool had some creepy vids back in the day. (Prison Sex, Sober)

Happy New Years! Enjoy life in 2017, strive for living in the best way for yourself and others, learn more, appreciate the beauty/horror/pathos, etc of art, be happy!

-zosimov

edit on 31-12-2016 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Glad You could appreciate that video! It truly is Awesome!!!
Thank You for The New Year wishes. I do appreciate them!

I do hope You and Yours have a prosperous New Year.
Prospering in Knowledge, Generosity, being Thankful for the little things, and to be Caring helpful Souls!

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I'm Rockin' on Tool again.
If anyone wants to listen here's a Music video for You!

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Red Rocks is an amazing natural ampitheater in Colorado.. some of the best sound in the world, the greatest artists, light shows, all in a gorgeous outdoor setting surrounded by natural red rock walls, starry sky, view of Denver..

I've talked to several people who say that Tool put on the best concert they have ever seen there. I never got to see it, so a Youtube vid will have to do.

edit on 1-1-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Hey Thanx for posting those Vidz for Me! I'll give em a listen, soon as this is posted!! I have a Cousin in Colorado. Not sure exactly where He is at though right at the moment. Recovering from last Night!! LOL!!

He has traveled to other Countries just to see some bands. His music taste is like Mine, in that it varies considerably, so I wouldn't even be able to guess which bands He saw at some of those concerts. I'll have to get a hold of Him to find out sometime. Thanx again for the Videos!!

edit on 1-1-2017 by SyxPak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Those videos were very Cool! Thanx again!!

I went to Youtube and found the whole concert! I also found a cool short vid showing the ampitheater and surrounding area! Check it out, it is also very cool!!
Have a Good One! Syx....
Tool warmup at Red Rocks ampitheater....

edit on 1-1-2017 by SyxPak because: fixed a boo boo....

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Hey! Really glad you enjoyed the vids enough to send you on a search for more. Red Rocks is such a phenonemal place for concerts.

Loved the vid you posted, thanks Syx!!

Enjoy the first day of a new year

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Hey You are welcome! That place looks like an awesome way to watch a concert! I'd love to go there. Perhaps some day. Someday....
I too hope You will be able to enjoy this first day of the New Year! Cheers!!

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
When it comes to the well crafted album experience I've been hooked on the latest AJJ (formerly Andrew Jackson Jihad) album The Bible 2. Don't worry, it has nothing to do with religion. I didn't know there was a story to be told until towards the end when it all comes together then, wow. I had to stop to think about it for a little while then immediately listened again from the start.

In a nutshell it's a story about a very depressed person with social issues coming to terms with their problems and powerful would be an understatement. Give it a listen from the start. Not every song's a winner but they all add a little bit to the point of the entire album.

I love bands that craft albums with stories to tell, GWAR, King Diamond / Mercyful Fate, any time.

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Noncents

Hey, thanks for the post! AAJ is a new one to me.. am planning to check it out once the kids get to bed.

As for the other bands you mentioned.. Mercyful Fate is such a talented band. Ever heard of Godsend (Dan Swano)? Check it out, some great heavy metal there!

Here's from the album A Wayfarer's Tears:

edit on 1-1-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Good stuff there. I know of Swanö from Edge of Sanity and the ridiculous amount of work he's done with other Scandinavian bands but hadn't heard Godsend before. I'll definitely be checking out more of their stuff.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Noncents

Hey, thanks for checking it out! Swano's discography is so prolific and impressive. Glad you liked it.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Prince, Purple Rain.

Talk about the music, look and movie capturing a moment in time. Great album from beginning to end. It also showcased what an amazing guitar player Prince was. His passing was extremely sad, he will be sorely missed.

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ZenTam

He was such a fabulous musician. I have nothing but respect for Prince. Thanks for the post!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join