It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia announces ceasefire in Syria.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Russia announces ceasefire in Syria from midnight.

MOSCOW/ANKARA (Reuters) - Russian President Vladimir Putin announced a ceasefire between Syrian opposition groups and the Syrian government starting at midnight on Thursday.

It was the third nationwide ceasefire agreed in Syria this year.

Was optimistic at first until the article said that this was the 3rd cease fire... who knew?

I found it interesting that representatives from the "Free Syrian Army" will be involved in future talks.

Does anyone else find it strange that the "rebel groups" (FSA, ISUS etc) are being taken seriously?

In a normal world, these terrorists and their Western backers would be put on trial for war crimes and crimes against humanity.

But in upside down world, you can try to overthrow a nation, killing hundreds of thousands in the process, displacing millions of others and then be invited to "future talks"...

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
All without Obama's and Kerry's help ?

My God !!

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

Was optimistic at first until the article said that this was the 3rd cease fire... who knew?

Anyone who was, even loosely, following this story. The first fell through when busses sent to evacuate people were fired upon. A second ceasefire saw the first wave of people evacuated from the area. I hope the civilians get out and I hope they keep their word and allow any opposition fighters who want out to go to allied areas.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

"But in upside down world, you can try to overthrow a nation, killing hundreds of thousands in the process, displacing millions of others and then be invited to "future talks"..."

Oh well, some memory loss going on here i can see. Initially it started as a peaceful protest and not the attempted overthrow of a nation. Let me take you back to 2011 if i may ................

The trouble began in 2011 in the Syrian city of Deraa. It began because local people decided to protest after 15 schoolchildren were arrested - and reportedly tortured - for writing anti-government graffiti on a wall. The protests were peaceful to begin with, calling for the release of the children, democracy and greater freedom for people in the country.

The government responded angrily and, on 18 March 2011, the army opened fire on protesters, killing four people.
The following day, they shot at mourners at the victims' funerals, killing another person. People were shocked and angry at what had happened and soon the unrest spread to other parts of the country.

Remember? or are you going to brush that under the carpet and still pronounce it started as a coup?

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro
Yes, Regarding those Buses. They were brand New (looking anyway) who owns them and carried out the operation?
I find very bit of News I get about Syria Confusing, Propaganda, Political, or BS, maybe all of the above.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: corblimeyguvnor
a reply to: gladtobehere

Oh well, some memory loss going on here i can see. Initially it started as a peaceful protest and not the attempted overthrow of a nation. Let me take you back to 2011 if i may ................

The trouble began in 2011 in the Syrian city of Deraa. It began because local people decided to protest after 15 schoolchildren were arrested - and reportedly tortured - for writing anti-government graffiti on a wall. The protests were peaceful to begin with, calling for the release of the children, democracy and greater freedom for people in the country.

The government responded angrily and, on 18 March 2011, the army opened fire on protesters, killing four people.
The following day, they shot at mourners at the victims' funerals, killing another person. People were shocked and angry at what had happened and soon the unrest spread to other parts of the country.

Remember? or are you going to brush that under the carpet and still pronounce it started as a coup?

Your own recitation is deceptive

In April 2011, Syrian state television aired testimony of three men arrested on suspicion of being involved in attacks on civilians and Syrian security forces. Anas al-Kanj, who presented himself as the head of an "armed terrorist group" is heard saying in a taped broadcast that he received "arms and money" from Lebanese MP Jamal Jarrah through an intermediary, Ahmad al-Uda, who identified himself as a member of Syria's banned Muslim Brotherhood.

Kanj said he was instructed "to incite people to protest, particularly outside the Ummayad Mosque in Damascus" and in the flashpoint protest towns of Daraa, Latakia and Banias, to "incite protests to topple the regime and to carry out acts of sabotage".

Agence France-Presse, citing Syria's Ath-Thawra newspaper, said that Kanj was instructed "to open fire on protesters in order to sow disarray and lead people to believe that the security forces was shooting on the demonstrators."

The Podesta emails reveal that Hillary Clinton was deeply involved in the armed insurgency of Syria. One email refers to Qatar & Saudi Arabia arming & funding the rebels.

Then we have the slightly embarrassing revelation when east Aleppo fell, Syrian Government forces overran and captured an underground command bunker and interrogation centre. Inside that bunker they captured the following foreign military personnel:

American 22
British 16
French 21
Israeli 7
Turkish 62

Some from other nations were named as:

Muhamad Tamimi – Qatar
Muhamad Ahmad Assabian – Saudi
Abd-el-Menham Fahd al Harij – Saudi
Islam Salam Ezzahran Al Hajlan – Saudi
Ahmed Ben Naoufel Al Darij – Saudi
Muhamad Hassan Al Sabihi – Saudi
Hamad Fahad Al Dousri – Saudi
Amjad Qassem Al Tiraoui – Jordan
Qassem Saad Al Shamry – Saudi
Ayman Qassem Al Thahalbi – Saudi
Mohamed Ech-Chafihi El Idrissi – Moroccan

This was a dirty proxy war. Not a spontaneous popular uprising.

edit on 29-12-2016 by sy.gunson because: rearranging comments

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Wonder how long this one will last?

3 days is my bet.

Of course the group they name, the "Free Syrian Army" does not exist, so it's a ceasefire between the state and a non-existent terrorist group. Maybe it'll actually stand up

edit on -060004pm12kpm by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold
a reply to: djz3ro
Yes, Regarding those Buses. They were brand New (looking anyway) who owns them and carried out the operation?
I find very bit of News I get about Syria Confusing, Propaganda, Political, or BS, maybe all of the above.

After we were told in mainstream media that Assad was bloodthirsty & determined to massacre everyone inside east Aleppo they provided a fleet of buses to evacuate 40,000 people without retribution.

Don't you think it is about time you woke up and smelled the coffee?

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
attendre Obama/CIA faux drapeu

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Sadly your bet is already off. the cease fire was just three hours old when the Free Syrian Army attacked Govt forces in Homs. These rebels are just puppets on a long bit of string from the oval office.

Russian Ceasefire Broken by Rebels

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: sy.gunson

Wahhabi savages.

I've said before, I'll say it again. All anti-Government Wahhabi terrorists should be given 72 hours to lay down their arms and surrender to the State, after that no surrenders should be accepted or prisoners taken.

There is no reasoning with these people, and they do not deserve any shred of mercy given the horrific crimes they have committed.

Any Western Official who has helped aid these monsters in any way should be arrested and tried as a war criminal.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Thus American diplomacy is ostentatiously pushed to one side.
That strikes me as more effective "retaliation" than anything Obama is doing.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

Wahhabi savages.

I've said before, I'll say it again. All anti-Government Wahhabi terrorists should be given 72 hours to lay down their arms and surrender to the State, after that no surrenders should be accepted or prisoners taken.

There is no reasoning with these people, and they do not deserve any shred of mercy given the horrific crimes they have committed.

Any Western Official who has helped aid these monsters in any way should be arrested and tried as a war criminal.

With respect, I get where you are coming from, but I have friends in Syria who have family members trapped inside Rebel held areas as captives. What Assad & Putin are doing is herding rebels into kill zones and i support that.

90% of the population are in Government held municipalities. On paper the rebels control huge swathes of territory but they are scattered too thinly to defend these areas. With rebels spread out like this they are easier to target.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Well that's a horrible situation for your friends to be in. I hope they stay safe.

I know a few people in Syria (well, 3 exactly), fortunately they are safe in Damascus and Latakia.
edit on -060007pm12kpm by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

top topics

join