It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

King Donald's Anti-Labor Secretary Begrudges "Overprotected" Workers' Breaks

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I never get tired of your baby tears, OP.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

yes, I noticed the part about you giving them a raise.... after they proved themselves...
guess it depends on how much of a raise you give them, and how often...
compare that minimum wage check or even a little higher to what is needed to live independently.... and... the amount of your raises and how often they come...
then consider the real inflation of the cost to live....
will any of your employees ever make enough to live independently?
as a waitress in TX I was paid below minimum wage... and ya, sometimes I made out well with the tips, other times I didn't... it was debatable if what I earned was above minimum wage...
I was a lousy waitress really, so I started looking for another job, this time fast food.... minimum wage, with an occasional .25 raise.... back then though, that mininum wage job probably could have supported me though. at least I knew quite a few who seemed to be doing okay on only that...
then, well, a nice long break as a mother... till the kids were old enough to be in school.
then back out into the workforce.. in NY, this time I went for the manufacturing, I had enough of the food industry.
again, minimum wage, with an occasional .25 raise. eventually I settled into screen printing.. starting off again at minimum wage. at that time, reader's digest put out an article that put a amount on all those handouts that the gov't was handing out... that amount for most of the country put is as the being about the same as someone making $10 an hour.. for a family of four. I had three kids, so in order to live independently, I would have to earn around $10 an hour.
I was in the screen printing industry for over ten years.... never made it to that $10 an hour although I sat and watched companies bring in guys with absolutely no screen printing experience and pay them more than I was making. actually had to train them on some of the machines that I was quite adept at operating..
those .25 cent occasional raised never did overtake those cost of living increases.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Dear Leader Donald, GOP-annointed King of America (may his glow irradiate the faithful, rendering them infertile), has selected for his subjects an anti-Labor Secretary with a history of candidly expressing his anti-worker views

Did people miss what the current anti labor king has done with coal and oil bans during the last eight years?

I can't be the only one.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I live in coal country, haven't noticed a decrease in those train cars carrying out the coal...

I've noticed what he hasn't done when it comes to swiping native sacred lands and a pipeline to be built through them...

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I live in coal country, haven't noticed a decrease in those train cars carrying out the coal...

Others haven't been so lucky.

www.onenewsnow.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   

edit on 30-12-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
umm... okay, maybe something the gov't has done along the way has harmed the coal industry...

but it seems that the need for coal has been decreasing as the production of natural gas has increased...
and the increase in fracking is the main contributor of the increase in natural gas.

and can we guess who it was that passed the law exempting fracking from most of the EPA regulations??
give you a clue, it wasn't obama...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.eenews.net...

both the coal industry and the natural gas industry with it's fracking come with some issues that adversely affect our environment..

but both, in my opinion would be better than generating our electricity from oil imported from the middle east. probably even environmentally since they have to use some form of power generation to transport the fuel to the states.

but, NY and Vermont, along with many countries have banned fracking, and many more are starting to look more closely at the process wondering about flaming rivers and earthquakes...
so, I wouldn't write the coal miners off just yet. much of our electricty is still generated from coal and in the end we might find that adding a tad bit more to our efforts to clean the pollution from those coal plants is much cheaper than dealing with the damage that fracking might be found to be causing...
but, then you are probably against any regulations and would prefer to be living in a smog fill country anyways...

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

When I was an hourly wage worker before joining the Coast Guard the law required 15 minutes for under 6 hours, and a 30 minute break for over 6 hours.

What are they getting now that irks the Trump Labor dude?

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
If you really want work rules move to Europe. I have to deal with Poland on a daily basis and they get way more time off them people in the US. If you don't take the time off the company can be fined so you HAVE to stay home 30 days a year or more. You don't start a minute and never work over. No call;s at night or anything but they call me at 4AM on a regular basis

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Big Thanks for continuing to post your threads.

You are the Light in a long dark tunnel.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar
First of all, it's not me giving them a raise, it's the guy who owns the lawn service. He runs his own business. His employees are mostly teens and college kids who want a job while they're preparing themselves to support themselves. I don't think any of them envision supporting themselves on the wages of a lawn-mowing job. People with any hint of intelligence know that minimum wage jobs aren't careers. People who have worked for him over the years usually go on to their chosen careers; law enforcement, EMTs, and even one attorney that I can think of just offhand.

It's pretty obvious that you've never run a business so have no basic knowledge of what that endeavor entails. Believe me, it's not just sitting back raking in money to pile up in the bank. I got out of the owner/manager job because it took too much time from my family and caused too many headaches. It just wasn't for me because I ended up working sixteen hour days because those minimum wage workers didn't bother to show up for work or showed up when their shift was half done. That's not to say that I didn't have some wonderful employees. But those wonderful employees were the ones who started at minimum but didn't stay at minimum long because they proved their worth to the business by being trustworthy and dependable.

I'm still puzzling over the idea that people somehow have come to believe that a minimum wage job should support a family. Who put that idea out there? The same folks who give out trophies for participation? If the only job you can find is a minimum wage job, then I'd suggest you find a way to acquire some skill that is worth more than minimum wage and learn negotiation skills when it comes to wages. Life is hard without skill at something.

Living independently means you make your goals and carry through with them. How is it some business owner's responsibility to assure you can live independently? Can the business owner determine the number of children you have or the car you drive or the money you chose to spend?

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
i live in north carolina home to the hardees chain he bought. at one time hardees was a good quality restaurant chain. it sold better quality burgers than mcdonalds for cheaper prices and they also had decent fried chicken to boot. this guy bought the chain and left it as hardees but started slowly changing it to carl jr. style food cereal burgers that taste like crap and he suckered so many people by saying our burgers take a little more time because they better no they take longer because your employees don't want do crap. try our 6 dollar burger its the best uh no its not. he removed hardees friend chicken and replaced it with his offbrand red burrito faux mexican crap a fish taco made with a large frozen fish stick wth.
one day i was coming back from beach and my mom decided to stop at hardees instead of mcdonalds it was 2 pm and nobody else was in line i stood there for 20 minutes while the 2 counter girls talked about who they were screwing and what happened at the party not once did they ask us if we would like to place an order. i am standing right in front of the register they both standing right behind the register. so after 20 minutes i was timing it i spoke as loud as as i could don't mind us tour blank conversation must be much more important than waiting on us so i am taking my business to mcdonalds i made a point that their manager could hear it and i left

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: proteus33

I would have just said "excuse me..." after 2 or 3 seconds with a smile.
20 minutes timing it? Really?

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
From utopia to dystopia in one generation. Quite a coup for the oligarchy! Trump to the working person, "Let them eat cake, and not on any break!"

Robert Reich: In the New Economy, Workers Take on All the Risk

On demand and on call – in the “share” economy, the “gig” economy, or, more prosaically, the “irregular” economy – the result is the same: no predictable earnings or hours.

It’s the biggest change in the American workforce in over a century, and it’s happening at lightning speed. It’s estimated that in five years over 40 percent of the American labor force will have uncertain work; in a decade, most of us.
Whether we’re software programmers, journalists, Uber drivers, stenographers, child care workers, TaskRabbits, beauticians, plumbers, Airbnb’rs, adjunct professors, or contract nurses – increasingly, we’re on our own.

And what we’re paid, here and now, depends on what we’re worth here and now – in a spot-auction market that’s rapidly substituting for the old labor market where people held jobs that paid regular salaries and wages.
Which partly explains why Americans are putting in such long work hours – longer than in any other advanced economy.
It also renders irrelevant many labor protections such as the minimum wage, worker safety, family and medical leave, and overtime – because there’s no clear “employer.”
And for the same reason eliminates employer-financed insurance – Social Security, workers compensation, unemployment benefits, and employer-provided health insurance under the Affordable Care Act.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: proteus33

I eat my hamburger's plain with only the bottom of the bun.

Maybe franchises are different, but Carl's Jr is my favorite burger.

Can't stomach MCD, mostly because of the salt, and the buns are very sweet.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Yes, we're in dire need of more anti Trump blah blah blah post by clueless whiny babies. Just one of the many lefty posters that seem hell bent on lowering the bar around here. I can only imagine that the first thing they think about when they open their eyes in the morning is "must find anti Trump material to post on ATS" rinse and repeat. What's your next anti right/Trump blah blah post going to be about tomorrow theantediluvian? Frick'n pathetic.

You see a light Annee I see an oncoming train.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: mtnshredder

Yes, we're in dire need of more anti Trump blah blah blah post by clueless whiny babies.

Clueless? Hardly.

What are you afraid of?

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   

In Capitalism that Puzder agrees with, all parties have negotiating power, and it was that power that brought those people their breaks. Puzder would like to do away with that.

Puzder is Pro Immigration Reform and would like nothing better than opening the flood gates even more.
Legal Immigrants like H1B and Illegal Immigrants have no rights and are threatened with deportation if they fight for rights as they are entitled under capitalism.

Puzder is actually Pro Fascism

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: mtnshredder

Yes, we're in dire need of more anti Trump blah blah blah post by clueless whiny babies.

Clueless? Hardly.

What are you afraid of?

Yes CLUELESS and I'm not afraid of anything around here. I just wish the circus would fold tent and leave town, enough already.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

This isn't about Trump though. It's about the new Labor Sec.

Just because he was picked by Trump doesn't mean it has to be about Trump.

Using Trump defense as the reason not to discuss this topic isn't going to do any good for anyone. Why shy away from important issues simply because Trumps name is attached somewhere??

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join