It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

King Donald's Anti-Labor Secretary Begrudges "Overprotected" Workers' Breaks

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Now you speak like a welfare recipient. Working is a choice?

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Yep, you choose your employment, unless you are talking about trafficked people and slave labour which this thread isn't.
Don't like the job then leave.

*edit*
I choose to be self employed and you won't ever hear me whining when I mess a quote up on a contract and end up working for less than minimum wage lol, done it loads of times.

Employees whine much more than self employed people...entitled whinge bags, choose another job if you don't like it.

edit on 29.12.2016 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
Don't choose the job then, I support market forces, but then I'm self employed...We tend not to whine like employees.

I am the same. The only person I whine to and whines to me is my wife because we have a business together as well as my consulting outside of that.

People don't seem to understand they have a choice. If you don't like your job then do something else. If you have put yourself into a position that you HAVE to work that job then maybe look at yourself to figure out a way to get out of that position. The majority always expect someone else to figure out an answer to their problem.

I hear the cries of school debt, living expenses, having kids, etc...well...these are all things that the person themselves brought on themselves. These are not decision I, or anyone else made them make.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I miss doing piece work. I used to have a job where I had to build six units in an eight hour shift. I got it down to where I could build six units in five hours. As long as they passed Quality Control I was good. I got it down to where I worked efficiently with no wasted effort. I had one of the top quality ratings in the company. As soon as QC passed my units I was out the door.

Mandatory unpaid breaks rob me of MY time. The only reason that California has them is because of their being in the back pocket of the unions. The mandatory breaks mean that extra people need to be hired to cover the breaks, hence more dues paying members.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
I did some research on other democracies. Like Israel. Breaks ar set for employees through regulations there also.

It's the opposite in Israel though.

The breaks there are mandatory "standing" breaks because the jobs there are all sit down.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   

You don't sound like a contented business owner.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Haha why on earth do you imagine that?!
I'm really happy and contented thanks, lazy even, I haven't thought about when I'm starting back in January yet, and finished last Friday.
Oh yes, I like my life choices, and always have.
That's how it is when you take responsibility for your own life.

*edit*
I slept the streets January to May as a 16 year old runaway a couple of decades ago, that was a choice.
A very good choice as well, but people make their own choices, and whine.
Lame

edit on 29.12.2016 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I'm failing to see the problem with the things that you quoted in the OP (other than the ideologically driven dribble about kings and infertility and a few other childish comments).

If you don't want the menial-labor workforce to be replaced by the noted kiosks (whose benefits are exactly what he describes over human labor), there should not be a concerted effort to overprice such unskilled jobs.

I'll tell ya, from the ages of 15-17, I worked at two different Carl's Jr. restaurants in the same city in California, and while I liked the company and the quality of their product (and the focus on cleanliness, although that may have been because we had a great manager for our area), I really did feel like I was underpaid and overworked at the time (I worked at a restaurant that was the first major stop off of Highway 99 in my town--we saw a LOT of bus loads of people). I realize now, since I'm a seasoned adult, that I was paid exactly what my "skills" were worth, and that was when the starting min. wage was $4.25/hr. Having a basic understanding of supply and demand allows me to realize and accept this truth.

The people fighting for $15/hr, or the states that mandate a minimum wage above the federal level (like California, who will be at $10.50/hr starting in 3 days), are causing this kiosk issue. The rhetoric about how such a menial job should provide a "living wage" (which is subjective and changes as you move across the country) are causing this issue. The propensity of our collective society to sue employers for anything and everything is causing this issue. The amount of product waste because a human can't take an order correctly is causing this issue. Basically, everything that is a more expensive cost because of humans versus a kiosk is what is causing this, and there are plenty of examples.

There are many things that are causing the business owner to look at automated options, and it's all because the cost of employing people in unskilled jobs is outpacing the rate at which businesses can keep the prices of their products acceptable to the public. In the 20 years since I worked at Carl's Jr., the employee doing the same job as I did (albeit slightly easier because of better computer systems and whatnot) should not be making 247% more than I did at the time. The rate of inflation for the wage of these jobs is outpacing their affordability, plain and simple.

It'd be nice to have a Sec. of Labor who understands this and doesn't fight the inevitable. We have computers that can drive cars without human beings inside of them--we should be able to order our food at kiosks and it not be such a "big f**king deal," to quote our current Veep.

ETA: Also, I like the option of mandatory breaks when working, but sometimes I was forced to take a break because of federal mandates when I really didn't need one, and it wasn't a good time for the restaurant or the customers for me to take one. Mandatory breaks, to me, are a point of contention, but I do think that it's best to err on the side of caution in regard to them.
edit on 29-12-2016 by SlapMonkey because: discussed mandatory breaks

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

and then there are other jobs where you actually work in those jobs, ya know, with heavy lifting and you're on your feet and moving every minute... and those breaks are more beneficial..

and when he's complaining about mandatory breaks, he's not saying they are mandatory in that the employee has to take them, he is saying that they are mandatory that the company has to give them.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I think what's more disconcerting than his views on mandatory breaks is his views on automation. We are rapidly approaching a point where most jobs will be able to be performed by machines.

The manufacturing industry has had to deal with this for years now. We're now starting to see it not only with unskilled jobs like fast food workers but even specialized jobs like healthcare at becoming more and more automated.

So what good will it do to bring back businesses to the US if all the jobs will be taken by robots? Trump is supposed to be for the middle class but the views of his Labor Secretary are highly opposed to that claim.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   

That sounds like a very strong person. I was born in Big Creek Mississippi in 1951. My dad had PTSD from WW2 and committed suicide. There were no food stamps and white women did not take welfare. My brothers and I were homeless for most of our childhood. But, here I am, almost 66. I sent three kids to college, my home is paid for, paid into social security and a private pension. All on jobs. Sometimes, I was so bone tired, I just needed a few minutes for recoup. I just can't be angry about it and lose fact that lots of people try.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I'm all for automating fast food...this is unfortunately a side effect advancements in technology. I'm also for the assistance of machines in operating rooms to preform certain surgeries..

I'm also for machines working in fields to tend to crops and processing our fruits, grains and vegetables..maybe we would have fewer e coli outbreaks.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Haha why on earth do you imagine that?!
I'm really happy and contented thanks, lazy even, I haven't thought about when I'm starting back in January yet, and finished last Friday.
Oh yes, I like my life choices, and always have.
That's how it is when you take responsibility for your own life.

*edit*
I slept the streets January to May as a 16 year old runaway a couple of decades ago, that was a choice.
A very good choice as well, but people make their own choices, and whine.
Lame

And you and I yet again have more in common. I have been hanging out with my 3 kids and wife and will continue to do so until they go back to school starting the 9th.

And I too slept on the street/in a car for about 6 months in Miami. Showered in gas station bathroom sinks, whatever I could do to get by. This was roughly 20+ years ago, but choices I made led me to that point, and choices I made after that led me to where I am now. I wouldn't change it either because without hardships I would not be who I am now or have what I have as far as relationships and family.

But I guess plenty can just look at the negative. Had I kept on just seeing the negative in life I would likely still be there.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Very well put

As a side note when I was 17 there was no minimum wage in Britain and I desperately needed quick work.
I nailed some crap hotel kitchen job by offering to work for less than they were paying and getting daily in cash.
I was happy, I negotiated my own deal.

Government regulations harm our own bargaining deals as employees in my opinion.
Probably why I'm self employed these days.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
I think what's more disconcerting than his views on mandatory breaks is his views on automation. We are rapidly approaching a point where most jobs will be able to be performed by machines.

The manufacturing industry has had to deal with this for years now. We're now starting to see it not only with unskilled jobs like fast food workers but even specialized jobs like healthcare at becoming more and more automated.

So what good will it do to bring back businesses to the US if all the jobs will be taken by robots? Trump is supposed to be for the middle class but the views of his Labor Secretary are highly opposed to that claim.

Personally I would like to see Healthcare go the way of automation. Because of frivolous law suits, doctors have outrageous insurance payments, hospitals have taken plenty of hits from these as well. Cut out the possibility of an accident by a doctor that is forced to work 20+ hours straight and sometimes standing for 7+ hour surgeries. Doctors and nurses will always be needed as a robot can't make a split second decision on something if another part of the body fails while in surgery.

Automation of Healthcare services would likely drive costs of actual Healthcare down drastically.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Personally I would like to see Healthcare go the way of automation. Because of frivolous law suits, doctors have outrageous insurance payments, hospitals have taken plenty of hits from these as well. Cut out the possibility of an accident by a doctor that is forced to work 20+ hours straight and sometimes standing for 7+ hour surgeries. Doctors and nurses will always be needed as a robot can't make a split second decision on something if another part of the body fails while in surgery.

Automation of Healthcare services would likely drive costs of actual Healthcare down drastically.

OKAAy. ANd the Robots will be built in China or India. What about people who need to work??

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tiger5

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

OKAAy. ANd the Robots will be built in China or India. What about people who need to work??

Why would they build them? I worked with Google's Bot & Dolly on their systems and they were some of the most advanced robotics in the world....built right here in the US.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Sounds like you have plenty to be proud about yourself

Only one young adult son for me, and he works with me.
Note 'with' not for, he's self employed and contracts doing his own accounts.

I can't imagine anything worse than employing him with all the legal bull that would involve, and paperwork, and extra expenses.

I only deal and work with fellow contractors.
Never hear any whining either lol

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

And what about every other job out there? There's very few jobs out there that couldn't be done more efficiently by a machine. Especially as time passes and technology advances. The greatest threat to the the middle class is the future of automation and our soon to be Secretary of Labor seems to have no issue with that because it's better for his bottom line. You don't have any kind of issue with that?

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I completely agree

...I suspect I'm a bit lazier than you though, the no wife thing could explain much for that.

All my mates with wives work harder than I do....I'd probably be a cash millionaire £GBP if I had a wife

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join