It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I a racist bigoted xenophobic gamer?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I'm a big fan of RPGs and MMORPGs. Knights and wizards, warriors and rogues. Will people or solo I can generally have a decent time.

A new MMO came out this year and it's got some really interesting features and great graphics. I'm talking about Blade and Soul. The drawback? It's Eastern themed. Big turnoff for me and I'm not sure why.

Having played plenty Final Fantasy games in my life I'm no stranger to it but it's not quite the same. When World of Warcraft announced the Mists of Pandaria expansion (heavily Eastern themed), I knew that was the end for me.

Give me Nordic or Mideval fantasy any day, I just can't come around to the other stuff for some reason.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

There are very different philosophies between Eastern and Western game development. Westerners prefer open-ended gaming with a male protagonist while Eastern games are developed with a in a very linear way with a female, child or creature as the protagonist.

Personally, I prefer Western games and I won't play things that look like Anime / Cartoons or Eastern style.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I've been enjoying Chaos Rings 3 on Android. Incredible single player rpg by Square Enix. Takes a couple hours to really get into but imho best by Squeenix and that is saying alot.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   

edit on 28-12-2016 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

You have a cultural preference for fantasy games? Shame on you.

How do you sleep at night?

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I'm in the same boat. I guess it boils down to this. Would I be missing out on a great game simply because I can not get around the aesthetics and themed?

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I don't mind Eastern themed stories in my RPG, but I'm not into the long JRPG format games no matter what their theme.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku

Debate? No. Discussion? Absolutely. If it's pointless, why bother responding.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Am I a racist bigoted xenophobic gamer?

I sure hope so.

Here, try this:

Inquisitor

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Reminds me of Trekkies and Star Wars fans arguing about which is more realistic!

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   

I will never play another eastern based game after the Black Desert Online fiasco.

BTW, WOW Legion is Nordic.
edit on 28-12-2016 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   

When playing dota, i become a xenophobic racist psychotic asshole

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I tried hard with Blade, but I just couldn't do it. After EA destroyed SWTOR for me I have been adrift looking for a game of that quality, but I haven't found it. But racist? People should get out more.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I don't think I can do WoW again. That ship has sailed. I did try legion but got bored rather quickly.

MAybe I didn't give it enough of a chance.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

It's not a stretch for some folks to not understand the difference between preference and bigotry.

Looking forward to Chronicles of Elyria and Pantheon. Hopefully in 2017.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Tom Clancys the Division is poison for me right now

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   

lol, me too

That was so awesome JinMI !

edit on 11 21 2016 by LadyButterfly because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I was such a racist bigot in Fallout 4. I followed the Brotherhood of Steel storyline, so basically all muties, synths, and anyone that wasn't considered a "normie" was KOS... (spoilers) I even killed Danse and left my synth kid to die at the institute... FOR ELDER MAXIM!!!

I gave up on MMO's a while ago as well. Not because there hasn't been a really good one since vanilla WoW, but because they are such a huge timesink. It Sounds like Skyrim and Witcher are right up your alley, but you've probably already played them.

Right now I'm playing the new Age of Empires 2 expansion Rise of the Rajas... it's hard to believe that they are still putting out updates for a game that is 18 years old.

edit on 28-12-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

I've yet to play FO4, New Vegas, Witcher 2 or 3. They will get their due!

I like to cycle in and out of MMOs. May be time to just stick with SP for awhile. I miss the community however.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   

You should give Path of Exile a try, it's basically Diablo 2 on steroids and has a huge online community.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join