It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heavy Marijuana usage tied to newly diagnosed illness

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Let me start out by saying that for the past several years and up until the moment of writing this post, I've been and am "on the fence" when it comes to what to do about Marijuana. Make it straight-up legal? Decriminalize it?

Let me also say that the following has pretty much zero impact on my ever-forming opinion on the subject.

I did find this article interesting though, as many (certainly not all) proponents of marijuana use tend to gloss over even the possibility of any negative side affects of the drug.

From This Article...

For more than two years, Lance Crowder was having severe abdominal pain and vomiting, and no local doctor could figure out why. Finally, an emergency room physician in Indianapolis had an idea.

“The first question he asked was if I was taking hot showers to find relief. When he asked me that question, I basically fell into tears because I knew he had an answer,” Crowder said.

The answer was cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome, or CHS. It’s caused by heavy, long-term use of various forms of marijuana. For unclear reasons, the nausea and vomiting are relieved by hot showers or baths.

“They’ll often present to the emergency department three, four, five different times before we can sort this out,” said Dr. Kennon Heard, an emergency room physician in Aurora, Colorado.

CHS can lead to dehydration and kidney failure, but usually resolves within days of stopping drug use. That’s what happened with Crowder, who has been off all forms of marijuana for seven months.

“Now all kinds of ambition has come back. I desire so much more in life and, at 37 years old, it’s a little late to do it, but better now than never,”he said.

The article indicates that in states where the drug has been legalized, there have been increased diagnosis of the ailment.

edit on 28-12-2016 by eluryh22 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-12-2016 by eluryh22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: powertec120

They didn't say it was just smoking weed. They said heavy usage. For one thing, "heavy usage" is going to change from one person to another. For another, you can drink a beer or two every day and not be a "heavy" user, but we may be talking a six pack or more every day. How much weed do you smoke? What is a "heavy" user?
edit on 28-12-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Considering that everyone reacts differently to herbs I can see this being somewhat plausible.

Do we know if it is from flower or concentrates?

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   

+20 more 
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

Greetings-

I'd opine that the sufferer also used "Synthetic Marihuana" and that is what caused any issues.. I base this on the usage of the words/terms used by the propagandist...uh....er.... author. This is cemented when it is used again "who has been off all forms of marijuana..."

Heck, I'd even bet $$$ if Ladbrokes™ or similar dropped a line on the betting...

Cannabis has been used for a couple years evidently and nobody got sick before, now all of a sudden...

Wait, did the alleged sufferer use the Monsanto™ brand? Then I'll believe it and when Monsanto™ does get the contract for GMO herbs is when I quit..

Proud Member of LEAP• Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

link   

Rather surprised that the remedy is a hot shower and not another drug.

If this is the extreme end of the side effects from using marijuana then it's still fine by me!

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Is personal use talk allowed?
I only ask because we can never have a good topic on this before people cross the t&c line and get the thread shut down.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
This looks like more fake news to me.

link   

Cannabis has been used by humans for thousands of years, I've never heard anything of this sort. You'd think it'd be common knowledge, given how many people enjoy the stuff. Convenient it comes around when the entire country is tipping toward legalizing it. Quick - someone design a pharmaceutical to ease the suffering of all the poor stoners. Better build more treatment centers, too.
edit on 28-12-2016 by MiddleInitial because: Spelling

link   

Sounds like something supported by Big Pharm!

I wish I could have a toke or two to mellow out without destroying my mind and body, but NOPE, I have to resort to alcohol which does WAY more damage physically and mentally!

YEA CORRUPT GOVERNMENT!

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Every drug can have a paradoxical effect. This isn't a breakthrough in my opinion. Seems more like an agenda targeting states with relaxed laws on marijauna. Borderline fake news....

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: flyingdutchman2112
This looks like more fake news to me.

Nope it's as real as it gets.

High times even did an article about this a couple of years ago.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   
hightimes.com...

High times article.

I'd never heard of this before. It seems to need extremely heavy use...

CHS develops in heavy, longtime consumers of cannabis; there is generally daily use in excess of three to five times a day for many years before the appearance of symptoms.

CHS is a very rare syndrome and is easily cured by stopping the consumption of cannabis. This should not, by any means, hurt marijuana’s reputation for being the safest recreational drug around, but people need to be aware of the syndrome’s existence. If you know anyone with these symptoms tell him or her go to a doctor and stop smoking.

edit on 28-12-2016 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

I speculate that this has more to do with how (some types) of cannabis are produced, than anything else. Some strains and "dab" products contain ludicrous amounts of THC - far more than occur naturally. To that I say: why ya gotta go messing around with something that's already good?

Hubris.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

nice try Al Gore.

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: eluryh22
“Now all kinds of ambition has come back. I desire so much more in life and, at 37 years old, it’s a little late to do it, but better now than never,”he said.

This part really screams 'propaganda' to me.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Sounds psychological, which wouldn't be surprising.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   
*** REMINDER ***

No discussion of personal use.

Thanks.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join