It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Build A House In 1 Day!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Houses in the (near) future maybe printed, just like how your inkjet printer prints your pics. This would make house prices drastically fall, you would basically choose a design or spend some extra for a custom one-off design, and a giant print would be set-up over where your house will be and it will staret printing and a smaller 2,000 sq. ft. house could be erected in under a day!(and that includes all the plumbing, electricity, conduits)

Engineer Behrokh Khoshnevis of the University of California is the brain child behind this. He calls it "Contour Crafting", and he basically built a giant printer that goes back and forth, front to back, and down to up.

Later this year he plans on demonstrating this technology by building a 500 sq. ft. prototype which he says would be good for as emergency shelters. For instance: A tornado wipes out hundreds of houses, with in a couple days you would have a few of these machines there and they would be completely automated and they would start printing new houses for everyone who lost there home.
It can also put concrete in your walls so your house is a lot stronger, or just put concrete around one room in the middle of your house so you can have a safe room.

This is what I like to see, since building houses hasn't changed much in the past century.

Heres the main Contour Crafting website, it has animations as well as pics so you can fully understand the concept.
Contour Crafting

Heres 10 pages w/ pics, that explain the process in detail.
Automated Construction by Contour Crafting

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Forgive me for not actually going to the website, but does this thing print a house or actually build it?

EDIT:Oh wait, actually after I glimpsed the pdf file, I figured out it was really far fetched and propoganda at best.

[edit on 28-1-2005 by ben91069]

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069
EDIT:Oh wait, actually after I glimpsed the pdf file, I figured out it was really far fetched and propoganda at best.
[edit on 28-1-2005 by ben91069]

So you think its all a hoax?...In short...Wrong.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Well, I have left the carpenters union and joined the operating engineers, so this won't be hurting me directly. Unless of course my two brothers in carpentry need to borrow money as a result of being put out of work... which they almost certainly will... crap.

You know, they might want to hire somebody to guard those machines at night... just in case.

Of course... the cost of keeping me out of a place I want into probably exceeds the cost of hiring a crew of union carpenters, so maybe they should just can this idea all together, or restrict it to building homes. They can put the scabs out of work all they want, as long as they don't touch the big projects that keep Union men busy. You know what they say... idle sledge hammers and nail guns do the devil's work!

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   
It's not that hard to build a house i a short period of time.

When I was a kid my parents construction company built a 3 bedroom house completely finished (not just to 'lock-up' standards) in 1 week. Granted it took enourmous timing to get concreters and sparkies in the right times, but its possible.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Just what we need. Then, they can build all the "home-printers" in China and the last American job (construction) will be obsolete. Look out Canada, here I come...

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020
Just what we need. Then, they can build all the "home-printers" in China and the last American job (construction) will be obsolete. Look out Canada, here I come...

Its more of a house or office thing, not big builgings like a mall or a warehouse or skyscrapper.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

Its more of a house or office thing, not big builgings like a mall or a warehouse or skyscrapper.

soon enough my friend, soon enough....

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Become a fire fighter. We'll need lots of those when my friends down at the Carpenter's hall decide that something needs to be done about the scab-bots!

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   

soon enough my friend, soon enough....

Uh, it'll be a good 50 years before even a concept of a metal beam printer will be possible.. I mean, sure, the idea of depositing metals layer by layer is being looked at right now, but this is in its first stages. Why is that important? I can't think of a way to build a skyscraper without a steel and concrete superstructure.

Just like other things (robots in auto manufacture, etc) they will still need to be built and maintained, the structures inspected, etc.. It's not that big a deal so far as job loss goes, more like job re-location.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Can you imagine the problems with that thing?
Paper jams.
Toner running out.
I wonder what an ink cartage for that costs?

[edit on 1/28/2005 by defcon5]

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Here in Arizona, construction is NOT AN AMERICAN JOB.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder

Here in Arizona, construction is NOT AN AMERICAN JOB.

LOL. Well it's not so much different here in Southern California. Being a union man helps, but the truth is that if we can't get some serious cultural-assimilation or legal protection going on, immigrant labor is going to destroy unions in this part of the country.
I'm not a racist by any standard, but I see a serious need to instill AMERICAN values into Mexican-Americans, and that includes the demand for a solid American standard of living. People whos families are still across the border can afford to work for less and they can't afford to be out of work if they want to stay here, and that leads to crossing picket lines. God help us if our new citizens and visitors don't start to think of themselves as Americans and demand an American standard of living from their employers.

As for job relocation, there is still a danger. Replacing skilled trades with unskilled trades is only good for the top few percent. It cheapens labor and makes cattle out of the working class. Expendable citizens are exactly what the aristocracy likes. Look what happens to organized labor in unskilled trades, like the grocery store workers. You lose your insurance, you take a hit on pay, and your job security vanishes as a revolving door for part-time student workers is used to edge out the people who view the trade as their living and therefore would really defend it.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Oh, we can turn this into an immigration thread, but I know I'll loose gob points due to the warnings I'll get. Let's just say, I'm not a fan of our open door policy towards Mexico. Someone needs to bitch-slap Fox and remind him that, that country is about 300 pesos beyond a third world nation.

Personally, I'm all for a giant wall down there, and shoot to kill orders. Up here in Indiana, we USED to have things called unions to stop that. But hey, who wants all those crappy jobs like steel mills, cooks, labor and etc.

Learn our language? why? Just cram enough of em in the same job and we'll learn spanish instead. Our country is just swirling around in the giant toilet bowl. Only a matter of time, before the flush is complete.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
hmmmmm...Seems people care more about job losses then an amazing technical achievment.

Also...I think a wall on the US/Mex Border is just plain stupid, because we couldn't gaurd it all, all the time. Not to mention that they have being finding more tunnels then ever before, so all they would need to do is build a tunnel and the conquered your wall proposel.

My idea is much cheaper.

Put land mines all along the US/Mex border and have the line be 2 miles thick, and every here and there have some ground sensors, and get more helicopters and UAV's patroling the border and pack some of them with Ground Penatrating radar, so if they are trying to tunnel under the mines then the radar will see there path. Through out the border have signs that say "Illegals can be shot on site".

The only way so stop the huge flow of illegals into America is to get strict about it.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   

hmmmmm...Seems people care more about job losses then an amazing technical achievment.

Also...I think a wall on the US/Mex Border is just plain stupid, because we couldn't gaurd it all, all the time. Not to mention that they have being finding more tunnels then ever before, so all they would need to do is build a tunnel and the conquered your wall proposel.

My idea is much cheaper.

Put land mines all along the US/Mex border and have the line be 2 miles thick, and every here and there have some ground sensors, and get more helicopters and UAV's patroling the border and pack some of them with Ground Penatrating radar, so if they are trying to tunnel under the mines then the radar will see there path. Through out the border have signs that say "Illegals can be shot on site".

The only way so stop the huge flow of illegals into America is to get strict about it.

Amen brother. Plus the attitude of the Mexican government, who apparently thinks its their god given right to send all their people here. Canada better watch out, cuz soon our country will be like Mexico and we'll be sneakin in there. Plus, americans could go unnoticed there. Unlike Pedro here.

Anyrate, cool invention. Show me a video of it in action and Ill be impressed. Designs are one thing. Ive got a blue print of the death star in my closet. Doesnt mean it can ever be built tough

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   

My idea is much cheaper.

What they also should do is employ the same tatics area 51 does on a larger scale. 80 billion for Iraq? How bout some for here George? Noone can get anywhere near that place. Oh ya...dogs. lots of dogs. I love to see those videos on tv, where the german shepard is tearing up some guy...good tv right there....

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Well, Rapidprototyping is a rapidly advancing field so it was only a matter of time before the supersized it
This technology could in effect defeat homelessness
It may mean alot of people out of a job, but thats what Creative Destruction is all about. I may not like it, and neither will alot of people, but just imagine how many maintanance jobs machines like these will create.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Well, Rapidprototyping is a rapidly advancing field so it was only a matter of time before the supersized it
This technology could in effect defeat homelessness
It may mean alot of people out of a job, but thats what Creative Destruction is all about. I may not like it, and neither will alot of people, but just imagine how many maintanance jobs machines like these will create.

Thats a good point. For every window that closes, another opens....point taken...imagine the paper jam on that one though...

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Actually, the record for building a house was set back in the 80's 90's and it was under 3 hours. I have been doing a search on the web for info and a link but I am comming up dry.
I recently was watching a video on it. It took months of planning and a total of 750 people working in 2 separate teams building 2 homes to complete. I know that the Habitat for Humanity managed to do it in 4 hours.
Just a little bit of trivia for you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join