It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can I help you

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   
So the other day I noticed someone was going through my mail, I don't think anything is of Importance really just the regular bills to pay.. So I watched, and today I saw a person going through my mail, I wasn't shocked really cause people are curious about things they really don't know..
So instead I asked ;" can I help you? "

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

Last I heard it was a federal offense to play with mail that is not yours...but times have changed.....

ETA...in the USA...not sure elsewhere.
edit on 12/28/2016 by jappee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   

And their response was...

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I'm the mailman ?

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Person may be using your address for a number of reasons. To establish identity, avoid taxes, order illegal stuff.

Be warned. Mail fraud is still illegal. Have your mail delivered to a locked box or put a hold at the post office.

Make sure you confront the swindler, at least. Tell him its illegal so he hears it.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I opened the garage door one day to see a very nice looking man, in his forties, driving a nice new truck, going through my garbage when it was out by the curb. A man like that, obviously not poor, was only looking for one thing. Financial information. This was in the middle of the day.

I took a step forward with hands on hips and said "Is there something in particular you are looking for?". He dropped the garbage bag, looked a little embarrassed, and drove away.

I almost said "Can I help you", though. It was on the tip of my tongue.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   

We have letterbox's on our front door's but I understand in the US many of you have small pigeon hole mail box type thing's and such which is a potential problem.

Find out whom they person is, as much as you can, have a word with your postman (mail man) and see if there is any way he can deliver directly to you or have your mail diverted to the sorting office so you can pick it up there for just a month or something.

What you have to check for is financial transaction's on your address, not necessarily in your name but on your address.

It could be innocent but be careful this could also be criminal in nature and you could be potentially dealing with organized scum, identity theft, credit fraud, false transaction's etc which could cause your address to be black listed or even worse have you being prosecuted for transaction's which you have simply not made.

If you find anything go direct to your police and ask to speak to a fraud detective then follow his advice, if they have no time for you then challenge the institution you have found strange transaction's with and ask them to investigate, given tehm the detail's on the person you found rifling through your mail and most of all make certain you have home protection but don't try to solve this yourself unless the police prove useless on the matter, if you have to challenge that individual again make certain you have back up and some form of protection if they are up to something they could potentially get nasty, better to be ready to get nasty yourself if necessary but even better avoid it and call the police, film them going through your mail if possible.

Be careful.
edit on 28-12-2016 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Same problem over here in the UK identity fraud is a serious and growing crime even in spite of the fact that the government tried to create stricter punishment for the offence, it is simply too easy to commit.
A good idea shredder or tear into tiny pieces anything with your bank details or name and address on it before putting in the bin.
edit on 28-12-2016 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

After that I put a stop to paper mail. My bank gets my bills. Before they made the change, I tore off everything with identifying information, and flushed it. But thinking about how that guy paid for that beautiful cherry red truck makes me sick. And you know, he didn't look like a thug. He looked very dignified in Kaki's, a tailored shirt, and nice sweater.
Bought with other peoples money, apparently.

I wonder how he justifies it.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Mail yourself a box of poop and add some small metal chits, so when he shakes it the guy thinks he's found some treasure. Would love to see his face when he opens it!

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Do you have a mail box in front of your house that they are going through? What was their response when questioned?

Identity theft is the first thing that comes to my mind. (Either financial or medical) They may be using your name and address and needed to pick something up that was coming to them.

I would not let this drop...it could cost you a fortune and a million headaches down the road.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang
So the other day I noticed someone was going through my mail, I don't think anything is of Importance really just the regular bills to pay.. So I watched, and today I saw a person going through my mail, I wasn't shocked really cause people are curious about things they really don't know..
So instead I asked ;" can I help you? "

I think this is routine after you make contact with divine pedigree.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Person may be using your address for a number of reasons. To establish identity, avoid taxes, order illegal stuff.

Be warned. Mail fraud is still illegal. Have your mail delivered to a locked box or put a hold at the post office.

Make sure you confront the swindler, at least. Tell him its illegal so he hears it.

This kind of crap is why I decided to get a PO Box. I've had packages stolen off my front porch and my mail has been misdelivered and not passed on to me.

About 30 years ago, the neighbor's mail was stolen and, while mowing the lawn, I found a personal letter to them torn up and thrown in the bushes.

People are thieves and a**holes. Trust no one. Do what you can to protect you and yours.

I can't wait until someone tries to break into my home. I'm going to beat the living s**t out of them with my Louisville Slugger. They will be eternally sorry they messed with me and mine.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I'm the mailman ?

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Restricted

I can't wait until someone tries to break into my home. I'm going to beat the living s**t out of them with my Louisville Slugger. They will be eternally sorry they messed with me and mine.

You just admitted to premeditated assault with a deadly weapon, or, if they die, premeditated murder.

On Topic : Op, confront this person if they come back and get video. Have your camera running before you even say anything and walk up to them with it in your hand. Ask them their name and why they are going through your mail. Make sure you get clear shots of their face. Get any ID on their car too. Make/model/color and license number.
Do Not Let This Drop. You are potentially getting set up for a huge mess that can take years and loads of money and lawyers to clear up.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Shoulda said

"I wouldn't do that if I were you"

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   

That is exactly what I say to people who are all up in my goodies too. The ones in line at the checkout while you're trying to put in your card pin code irk me the most, but generally anyone who gets close enough to see what I'm typing on that keypad gets rewarded with that response...if I can feel your breath on the back of my neck, that's way too close.

But in the case of the mail, I'd likely be far less cordial. I've had my bank account emptied to the tune of $4000 once before when someone stole my debit card out of the mailbox. That's a federal crime in the US, and that person did go his happy thieving ass to prison for it.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Maybe, instead of being a nice polite guy, you could take a nice steak knife and hold it at his tire and say you might want to drop my mail-now who are you and what do you want? You might want to tape this with your cell phone and any aggressiveness respond first with a big tire cut and then protect yourself. Then, call the police.

You should know that when my son worked delivering mail in the summers during college he had to use is own car sometimes.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
In Portland, we have lots of homeless folks. Those folks go up and down streets digging through trash cans (looking for returnable bottles and cans) each collection day. I feel suspicious that some are also on the lookout for financial papers of any kind. Everyone seems to just let it happen, because you know it being Portland and all, nobody wants to seem uncool.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInitial

You Portlanders may not want to come south-we don't care about being "cool."

top topics

<<   2 >>

join