It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TWO 5.7 Quakes plus a 5.5 Near Hawthorne Nevada Just Hit

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 04:20 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Yep. Will prep the 3 day bags when I get home.

No worries man. We'll be alright.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep apprised of this thread.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

The next time you look at the Pine Nut Mountains, thank them. Because apparently they shielded you from most of the shock.

Update: faults still highly active, quakes still coming in one after the other.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Yep. The mountains are a good buffer for a lot of stuff up here.

That said, the fault lines run under them so there's no guarantee we won't get an EQ up here.

My mom is up right now. Earthquakes make her paranoid, especially after the Northridge quake in LA in the 90s scared the crap out of her. She lives in Vegas.

edit on 28 12 16 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 04:57 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I remember that massive swarm near Hawthorne. And for that reason, the chances are in this location that there might be another 4.0, 4.5 or so, but it is likely to just slowly die down the way it usually does. Note that seeing a felt report from Sacramento is curious, seeing as you in Reno are some 50 km CLOSER to the activity, and yet you didn't really feel it. So yeah, praise the mountains.

But another issue is that these are happening some 30-40 km from Mono Lake, and that whole volcanic area there. So far, so good; it does not appear to have affected anything there yet.

Update: seismicity just slightly less now, but still high.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Geeze, just saw this! Hubby & I both were having trouble sleeping. Whenever I wake up I look at the quake list. Just about shat myself when I scrolled & saw all the red, until my eyes focused better! Then I saw all the activity listed as Bridgeport, CA too.

Nobody had reported it on Quake Watch yet either. So glad you are our 'Keeper of the Night', 'Night Watchman'...!!! Haven't found anything on the news yet anywhere either.
Wide awake now. Only finally got to sleep about 3 hours ago. Going to be a long day. Don't know how you do it! But thanks for always being here!

WOQ

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Is this anywhere near a nuclear testing site?

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kentuckymama
You must never sleep. You are always here to let us know about the earthquakes. I appreciate that. Just wanted to say thanks and ask what you think the chance is for a sizeable earthquake anytime soon near me. I'm in western Kentucky.

Sorry for the late response, but had too much going on here. Well in western KY you would of course be affected, and possibly severely, if the New Madrid went off. And so would I, but not probably as bad as you. It is my personal belief though that because such tremendous energy was released in the 1800's big quakes, I feel like it's probably going to take at least another couple hundred years before there is enough strain built back up to really go off in a big way with a 7+ or worse. And it could be a thousand years.

I could be way wrong though, but I hope that helps. I don't believe you have much to worry about. And I don't worry about it anymore.

(gulp, my infamous last words? Never say never.)

But anyways, back to this Hawthorne thing- update: it died down for a bit there, but now it has cranked back up with small quakes. It's probably going to stay doing this for a few days. Overall though, it is lessening. And with that I'm out folks, gotta sleep sometime! You all keep an eye on it.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Here is a link to see a list of all the quakes

scedc.caltech.edu...

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Thank you for responding. I've only known about one earthquake here back in the 80's that rattled the house. We get ones that are not felt from time to time. I know we live in an area where bad ones can happen and I like to try to be prepared. Believe it or not, our home owners insurance keeps talking my husband out of buying earthquake insurance. Says he's never sold a policy for that.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Ok I admit it. I couldn't sleep much, wondering what the heck was gonna happen with this. And now it appears the quakes are inching closer and closer to the Mono Lake volcanic field:

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   

My friends felt it in Lake Tahoe

More to come? Hoping everyone is unharmed and more aren't on the way

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Im below Sacramento and didn't wake up until 230 am. I couldn't sleep and looked on face book and people were checking in over a vast area. That's amazing. !m sure my house swayed. Bedrooms are upstairs. I will have to check with my daughter she lives in Gardenerville Nevada.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican
Ok I admit it. I couldn't sleep much, wondering what the heck was gonna happen with this. And now it appears the quakes are inching closer and closer to the Mono Lake volcanic field:

For a little reference, these pics are likely from the fault involved. These were taken about 30 miles sw of hawthorne, maybe even closer.

edit on p00000012k021232016Wed, 28 Dec 2016 12:02:33 -0600k by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Dreamland is expanding the underground city ?

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Hey TA, just a shot in the dark, but the old YS VS Calderas appear to have moved west from the source of the hot spot. Could the same have happened with the Long Valley caldera and the quakes further east could be from the hot spot that originally fed the LV Caldera?

I recall reading about the magma plume under the YS system possibly being all the way to the Oregon/Washington volcanic systems. Could we see new volcanoes develop east of the source that created the LV system? I know a section of Rocky Mountain chain approximately 80 miles subsided into the earth a long time ago associated with a Yellowstone eruption. Just wondering what your opinion on the matter was?

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican
estimated 5+, possibly 6+

waiting on USGS reports

More in a minute....

5.8, but real, real, shallow- showing 0 km depth, will likely get revised. Nice, that ought to send some shockwaves right into Long Valley supervolcano. That's always nice...

. That is SO not good...

The magnitude doesn't concern me as much as the depth. O.O

I typically don't worry, but this one is a bit unnerving brother.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: spirit_horse

Hey TA, just a shot in the dark, but the old YS VS Calderas appear to have moved west from the source of the hot spot. Could the same have happened with the Long Valley caldera and the quakes further east could be from the hot spot that originally fed the LV Caldera?

I recall reading about the magma plume under the YS system possibly being all the way to the Oregon/Washington volcanic systems. Could we see new volcanoes develop east of the source that created the LV system? I know a section of Rocky Mountain chain approximately 80 miles subsided into the earth a long time ago associated with a Yellowstone eruption. Just wondering what your opinion on the matter was?

Yellowstone is not a fault. It's a hot spot, like an open wound in the Earth. It was once west, it created Idaho's Snake River valley, but it moves due to continental drift.

The Cascades and Sierra mountain ranges along with their volcanoes are created by two plates colliding and causing uplift of crust (creates mountains and quakes) and friction from the two plates grinding (creating magma).
It is possible that the Juan de Fuca and North American plate could be creating magma that feeds Yellowstone, but I thought that the hypothesis wasn't confirmed.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I would tend to follow this site, they feed USGS anyway
www.seismo.unr.edu...

the 5.7's were 8.2 and 12km deep, not 0km

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzy
I would tend to follow this site, they feed USGS anyway
www.seismo.unr.edu...

the 5.7's were 8.2 and 12km deep, not 0km

That is still really shallow in my book, and not good at all

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
My friends in Modesto, CA felt at least one of them.

There have been a few moderate quakes moving from south to north along the California coast in the last week or so, and now these. I'm not an alarmist, but having lived through the '89 quake in the Bay Area, my ears always do perk up during these episodes.

Peace.
edit on 12/28/2016 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join