It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US government starts asking foreign travelers to disclose their social media accounts

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I don't have Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn.

The only "social media" account I have is "ATS".

Since "ATS" takes up all my "free time", I don't have time for all those other social media sites.

I wonder if they'll require people to give up their ATS account info too, so they can read all our posts !

Does that mean they'll require the visitors to reveal their passwords? That's the only way to be sure, the visitor has control over that account. But, once the US Gov has your password, they can see everything.

They already require passwords for cell phones and laptops in many countries, or they seize these tools.

So, even our secret identities, and private passworded information, is no longer off limits.

Soon, they will install "thought reading machines" at the ports of entry, and scan our brains for our intentions, past thinking, and future plans.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

Me neither..we wouldn't get in..because we are not good sheep.

In any case you can change your password after but I'm guessing they will DL whatever is in your account at the time.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

a government official confirmed Thursday

Does that government official have a name?

edit on 27-12-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: RedDragon
This is a fantastic policy and is long over-due.

If you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear. Why would anyone want people with anything to hide in our country?

“Arguing that you don’t care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don’t care about free speech because you have nothing to say.” — Edward Snowden

Source

Asking for social media may add suspicion as well, discussed earlier. One can be innocent as heck but can still be put under suspicion. Meanwhile, the terrorist display their fake social media accounts to officials. Fret not you'll likely get what you ask for/agree with here.

edit on 27-12-2016 by dreamingawake because: likely*

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Alot of people that know will be in trouble if they try go there then as they dont use social media .

Hell would probably be in trouble if went back there as dont use social media .

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I only use ATS and LinkedIn for social media.

Facebook will never be my friend, and twitter will never tweet in my freakin ear. Their high risk (intentional or unintentional) damage index is just to high to justify the benefits they certainly have. IMO

edit on 27-12-2016 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   
It's not my thoughts I'm worried about.

It's their thoughts interpreting what my thoughts mean, that's the problem.

That's the whole reason for the 5th amendment. The right to keep silent. For whatever thoughts you may have that you reveal will be "twisted" around to be used against you.

Some over zealous immigration officer, trying to impress his boss, will certainly find things in your thoughts that prove to be grounds for denial.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Well not problem.... just wont travel to the states... ever. It's not like we need to go to the US, much less contribute to it by spending our vacation there and buying American stuff. I'm sure the average American don't care about tourism either.... right. You have enough in yourselves.

Good luck with that.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy
Wrong Sony Twitter was just taken a day ago, nobody's account is sacred.

Sony owns the account, they can get it back and correct the damage. If someone makes a social media account in your name, and posts stuff that makes you look bad there's no recourse.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

what about all the illegals and refugees? Are they being kicked out because they either not not cough up or because they have none to cough up??

I dont have any such accounts so does that mean I wont get into the US?

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Well it does have the words government and official so it must be real

This board really needs a sarcasm meter...

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 02:18 AM
link   

ESTA is a joke anyway, more than a few mates of mine have entered the US and simply lied about previous criminal convictions, US customs don't have access to the UK database lol, so just lie about social media accounts, pretty simple.
Unless you are stupid and use your real name on social media.

*edit*
The US border is as leaky as the EU's when it comes to ESTA lol, just lie, border force have no way of checking unless they make a specific formal request to the home nation.

edit on 28.12.2016 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 02:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: Annee

Well it does have the words government and official so it must be real

This board really needs a sarcasm meter...

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Lol @ government and official!

Again people, just lie to the border force if entering the US under ESTA, they have no way of checking anything unless they make a specific formal request to the home nation.

I so hope a US border force official is reading this and rocking in their chair with angry crazed eyes haha!

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 04:23 AM
link   
This has already happened in other countries when applying for and renewing visas. Some are even asking for passwords optional.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: isaanbkk

Just lie, it ain't difficult, and if you are stupid enough to use your full real name on social media then no sympathy from me.

Grumpy US border force officials only have the information you choose to provide them lol

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I would have to give them my ats account..not on any other sites.
I would tell em I was Ewok lol....but I may end up on a no fly list.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

Hahaha I reckon Ewok is on a no fly list, he'd definitely have to keep his ATS account secret lol!

The funniest thing is that US border force know # all unless you tell them when travelling under ESTA, they can pretend and be as aggressively miserable as they like but they know # all...no access to home nation crime databases...even if they lamely make out they do it's just ego boosting bravado lol

US border is leaky as #.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

However... I suppose this could be used as a tool because if someone does qualify as a "suspicious" person after entering... and after a cursory review it becomes apparent that they lied... then perhaps Uncle Sam can kick them out... or detain them... or worse.

Exactly. When entering the United States, even citizens sign a form that used to include the fine print: "I am not now nor ever have been a member of a group dedicated to the destruction of the United States," or words to that effect. Pretty sure that Nazi and Communist spies signed off on that clause. Nevertheless, it would amount to perjury, and they could be sentenced or exiled even if there was no proof of espionage or other nefarious activities.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 06:01 AM
link   

I suppose there is a difference between asking and demanding, then again should you fail to comply with this overtly intrusive draconian policy the result may be the same.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join