It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice sought for ingrowing facial (beard) hairs.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Hi everyone.

The correct term is Folliculitis barbae. I have used facial clippers for nearly 20 years as I am unable to wet shave or electric shave. I also have the problem with many hairs growing in a 'n' shape rather than straight. Sometimes the hairs do not break the skin before doing a u-turn which leaves me with only one option, this being pointed tweezers and plenty of blood.

I usually have 1 or 2 minor ones a month and maybe a major one every 18 months. When I say major I get a type of hallowed out ulcer which when pressed oozes serous (watery fluid). The stinging itch drives me crazy and I get to the point some times of plunging a sterile needle in with the hope of hooking the blighter and pulling it out. The longest hair to date being plucked out in the is way was just under 14cm in 1995.

Something odd has occurred in the last 6 months. Both my beard and head hair are growing at approximately twice their normal rate. This is making the beard problem even worse. I have a small patch 5cm x 5cm (on my left cheek) which sits on the jaw line. Over the last 3 months I think I plucked every hair out as it is not has no hair growing. Despite this the whole area is red with several weeping ulcers.

I think the problem maybe with me plucking hairs which makes the surrounding inflamed and as a consequence, more adjacent hairs go back into the skin. To compound this I am acutely aware that I scan my face subconsciously by feeling along my check with my left forefinger and grasping anything eg adjacent hairs and even scabs on occasions. Like an obsession. I did have cellulitis last week so cut my fingernails to the quick and smothering the area with sudocrem. I have taken a course of flucloxacillin.

I have suffered with this for 5 months now and its getting worse. Yesterday a family member suggested a special type of face pack which will grab all the hairs and pull them out. I wonder if the product box has strong analgesia as well lol. I did read something about salicylic acid helping but I can only find it in woman's very expensive creams.

Phot is not me but the problem in same place although twice as big.

Multiple itchy stings are driving me to despair.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   
What does your doctor say?

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Morrad

Man up and grow a beard

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I get ingrown hairs on my sides. The hair wears down from work clothes rubbing my skin. To fight them is a balancing act.

The hairs get ingrow from being trapped under dry skin.

If they seem ingrown, using a bath brush buffs them out. But can further dry the skin.

A good moisturizing and healing lotion prevents the problem.

Long story shot, maybe a good moisturizing after shave or lotion. Something to prevent small nicks developing dry scabs?

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
For my face, I cannot shave everyday. It gets raw. Even though my job requires daily shaving, shaving every other day keeps my face healthy and me out of trouble at work.

I am supposed to be clean shaven for respirator work.
edit on 27-12-2016 by neutronflux because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Yo if youare not careful you can spread staph infection into those sores unless you haven't already. I had a similar situation where i thought they were ingrown hairs, but it was staph infection and it ended up causing something similar to that, and really inflamed skin.

Might want to visit a dermatologist, eventually I had to because I couldn't figure out what the problem was. The more you pick at it, the higher the chance of spreading infection. You need topical and pill form antibiotics.

Also start shaving with disposable razors to minimize the risk of spreading infection.

edit on 12/27/2016 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Apple cider vinegar. Search it up on google.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
best advice was somewhere near the start[as usual], ask your doctor.

edit on 27-12-2016 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Grow a beard.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: tikbalang

Some folks (myself included) don't like how they look with facial hair, or it grows in too patchy.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInitial
a reply to: tikbalang

Some folks (myself included) don't like how they look with facial hair, or it grows in too patchy.

Persevere.

And to the OP maybe it is your bodies way of saying stop shaving, millenia of evolution may not be wrong no matter what society says.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

I am a licensed medical aesthetician, and I am telling you, go see a dermatologist. Folliculitis is an infection, and needs antibiotics and a regular antiseptic regimen to cure it. Get off the internet, don't listen to anything any of these people are suggesting other than go see a licensed physician who specializes in skin disorders. There are things already suggested that can and will make your problem even worse. Doctor=good. Internet=not good. That is all.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   
The simple solution is to comb them let it grow a quarter inch or so and comb against the grain or from your neck to your chin the other hairs will follow the ingrown once you start doing this will still be ingrown

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Perseverance is for something one wants. I have a strange mix of racial background that really doesn't make for flattering facial hair. It takes me 6 months to grow a pathetic looking beard. I have experimented a good deal with it - doesn't work.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

Also listen to this guy

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I was terrified that I had contracted herpes.
I had this irritated blister in my pubic region.
I paid a doctor $250 to look at it for about 10 seconds and tell me it was an ingrown hair.
He recommended I wash my hairy balls more often.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I was terrified that I had contracted herpes.
I had this irritated blister in my pubic region.
I paid a doctor $250 to look at it for about 10 seconds and tell me it was an ingrown hair.
He recommended I wash my hairy balls more often.

Yeah...see the thing is, typically, the skin on your scrotum is completely different from the skin on your face. Unless that's not the case with the OP, he really needs to see a doctor so he doesn't end up with a raging staph infection and permanent scarring. Thanks for sharing about your balls, though. Always nice to hear hygiene success stories. Gives us hope for humanity.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Sound advice, probably best dispensed more freely among young men.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 12:58 AM
link   
The last thing you want to do to your face is pluck or wax your facial hair. The roots are very thick and deep-rooted. Tearing them out will leave divet scars.

The pic used as an example in the OP is indicative of poor hygiene and nutrition that has lead to an infection.

Warm water, soap, not touching it and visiting a Doctor for proper antibiotics will clear the infection.

A daily dose of Vitamins C, E and B, along with Zinc and Folic Acid, will help in preventing future infections.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Thanks for all the responses. I will make an appointment with my GP and ask for a dermatology referral. I held off doing this as I have seen him numerous times in the last year for various things and felt it would be trivial to him, especially with it being winter with overstretched services.

a reply to: HAARPO

the pic used as an example in the OP is indicative of poor hygiene and nutrition that has lead to an infection

I wash my face every day. I also take all the supplements you mention. Since this started I have also being using chlorhexidine 2% wipes to reduce the bacterial count on the affected area.

a reply to: tigertatzen

Thank you, much appreciated and I will do as you advise. I woke up to what looks like an angry looking boil forming.

a reply to: nonspecific

Persevere.

I never get past 2 weeks due to itching and being told its an unsightly mess

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join