It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.5 Gen. F-35 ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
An interesting thread on the F-16 Net proposes a variant of the F-35 with canards. Apparently this was part of LM's original proposals for the F-35.

The basic premise is for better super-sonic/super-cruise capability to assist the short number F-22s and allow a longer and less expensive runway to a 6th gen. Numerous upgrades including three stream ADVENT/Ace engines, slimmed down, etc.

As the canard portion was already planned for, the thread implies it would be a fairly inexpensive variant to develop and therefore supplement the F-22s numbers.

Thoughts?

www.f-16.net...

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

He is suggesting a considerable redesign. Also I don't see what would make it inexpensive.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Isn't this the one the Chinese stole?

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
that is a completely different plane. good luck with building that cheaply, great for the military industrial complex though.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 04:23 AM
link   
And those canards would degrade what is already questionable RCS from some quarters and probably hamper its much vaunted frontal RCS. Much better to fit it with a three stream motor and maybe stretch and re-wing for more internal bay length, lower wing loading and increases in bay volume for fuel and avionics.

LEE.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=21691793]thebozeian[/
What is this the fake news? The f-35 by all accounts has an excellent rcs

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: bra1nwash

The F-35 is optimized for frontal aspect stealth. It's got a VLO signature from the other angles, but it's best RCS is head on.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
Do you think the F-35 will have a better kinematic performance in speed and range with a new engine after 2020, like the AETP engine program ? the mach 1.6 limit is for the structure of the airplane or do you think it's possible to push it over mach 1.6 with out damage ?

edit on 28-12-2016 by darksidius because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: darksidius

The structure is the ultimate limit in top speed. They might be able to get a little more out of it, but not much. It will have much better range, and acceleration with a new engine installed.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I think with the time and upgrade like a variable cycle engine, the F-35 will surely become one of the better fighter in the world.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: darksidius
I think with the time and upgrade like a variable cycle engine, the F-35 will surely become one of the better fighter in the world.

It's not a fighter, but I think it will be a truly world leading platform.

RAB

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Hi Guys,

Not convinced that canards will help but 3D thrust vectoring aka the McDonald Douglas idea for the JSF maybe with looking at. Why bank when you and drift.

RAB

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: RAB

The question is whether the weight penalties are worth the cost.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: moebius

He is suggesting a considerable redesign. Also I don't see what would make it inexpensive.

Perhaps he means inexpensive compared to a full out 6th Gen. or an F-22 re-run.?

RAB

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I have no clue if the weight penalties would kill the idea. But aggressive moves aremore fuel wastefull then a gentle turn.

Or easier aim9x and nice long bvraams. With the helmet cueing you win. Only issue is people are sam and someone get off a S400 after you got past.

RAB

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: RAB

They are, but the current F-35, without vectoring is capable of some pretty impressive nose pointing on its own. It would be interesting to see, but I'm not entirely sure it would be worth it. They already had issues getting the weight down to where it should be.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Can I ask an opinion of you ?

Why, if, the F35 is the next generation airplane and why would they sell it (almost) immediately after creation to allies ?

It just don't make sense if you don't own already something better, or you are able to disable them instantly on command.

The F117 was kept secret a long time... i understand that!

Whats the ( international) hype about the F35 ?
edit on 28-12-2016 by EartOccupant because: Details

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: EartOccupant

When the F-117 rolled out, it was the only stealth aircraft in the world, and the aircraft flying had at least parity, if not the advantage over missiles. Now, Russia, China, and India are all getting their own stealth fighters, and the advantage has swung to the missile side again, both air to air and surface to air.

By selling the F-35 to our allies, right off the bat, the playing field is at least leveled. With the F-35, they have an aircraft that has an advantage over older aircraft they might go up against, as well as against missiles. The advantage hasn't totally swung to the aircraft side again, but the gap between the two is much smaller than it was.

RAB

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   

When production versions of advent or leap are about by then "maybe" the vectoring system will not be that heavy.

Maybe worth testing at that point.

RAB

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Thanks! That makes sense !

I guess the general rule is today: If you see it, you can kill it.

I admit... a missile hit is still effective

But are missiles still the enemy ? Isn't the laser/energy beam/directed radiation or other electronic interference stuff grown up by now?

( Although i do think the US is smart enough to not sell something before they have a new/or existing toy )

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join