It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone use coinbase and had problems with the new authy? I am having some problems with authy code!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
So this is so frustrating!

I just tried to access my coin base account and they have changed security authentication.
I said to download authy app and it would automaticly generate a code for me to use at coin base, the only problem is it didn't.
So what I think I need is the coinbase code to add it to the authy account but there is no code on coinbase. coinbase said it should automatically pop up on the authy account but it doesn't!

has anyone had this happen? whats the fix?

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: bananashooter
So this is so frustrating!

I just tried to access my coin base account and they have changed security authentication.
I said to download authy app and it would automaticly generate a code for me to use at coin base, the only problem is it didn't.
So what I think I need is the coinbase code to add it to the authy account but there is no code on coinbase. coinbase said it should automatically pop up on the authy account but it doesn't!

has anyone had this happen? whats the fix?

I don't use these apps, if it is browser based have you got pop up blocker on. Or are there settings in the app itself

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

I have read this page like 30 times, its not helping.
It says coinbase will automatically pop up on authy accounts list but list is empty!
It says you can manually add accounts such as coinbase but need a code provided by coin base and coin base doesn't provide that code.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter

did you do this part?

- Download the Authy app onto your mobile device
- In the top right corner, select 'Settings'
- In the phone number section, enter the phone number which you have verified on Coinbase (www.coinbase.com...)

Once you have connected your verified phone number with Authy, the Coinbase token will automatically appear in your list of tokens.

(credit to some person on some chat board)

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

yep did all that and the coinbase token did not automatically appear!
This sucks, also i went on the reviews of authy and everyone is calling them criminals for locking them out of their coinbase accounts.

I guess i lost my money, YAY!

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I have used Authy with Coinbase, Google Authenticator is much better but I do have Authy for my Coinbase account. I am confused about this issue the way you describe it, had you previously set up 2FA with Authy on your Coinbase account?

If so, yes Authy should have saved the account and be providing you the ever changing 2FA code.
If not, there is no way 2FA and Authy should even be active on your account.

When you first set up a new account with Authy, Coinbase will give you a starting key. You then use this key to set up the account with Authy, after that, Authy will give you a one time code which you will enter on the Coinbase page that is displaying the one time key. You have to enter that code on that page or 2FA will never be activated in the first place.

After that - with Authy the account should indeed be linked to your phone number for good.

This is also why it is important to always write down the initial key given when setting up a 2FA account. I must be missing something care to explain more?

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
So i had a coinbase account for a few years. I had no problem getting on my account, using a landline.
I tried to access my account but I saw that it has a new way of authenticating via authy.

I downloaded authy and ity asked for my coinbase email associated with the account which i did, it then sent me a text activation pin which it put in the authy app.

I then had to merge my two phone numbers through authy because they cant send the code to land lines anymore.
Coinbase the states that the coinbase account will show up on the authy account list, it didnt.
It says you can scan a qr code to add it to the list or get a code from coin base to manually add it but coin base doesn't give and code.

So now I am doing a phone number reset which will happen in a few days, I don't know if its going to help or not.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I have no idea what your talking about but from my position of complete ignorance it sounds like youve become the victim of a phishing scam.

Hope Im wrong and I likely am as I have no idea what coinbase is but it sounds like a bitcoin type thing so its probably something hackers would like to get their hands on

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter

I see, ive used Authy with them for years so i had no idea that they ever did authentication with a code provided via phone call. I would give Coinbase a call or submit a support ticket.

You should not be locked out of your account without ever being presented a page with a QR code and the same code in alphanumeric form. That whole way of setting up the Authy through text activation is strange and probably just did not work. Regardless, it never should have made that method of 2FA active without your first verifying that it works by submitting a code provided through Authy. It is an issue with Authy but also with Coinbase as they never shouldve let you get locked out without the new method being proven to work. Coinbase support should be able to provide you with the key and add the account that way as long as you can provide proof if your ID, etc.

Itll take some days time I am sure but Coinbase wont screw you out of your funds if you contact support and can prove you are the account holder. Sorr about the issue that sucks. But i think your money will be intact and BTC is only rising in the meantime.

And dont worry to the poster above I dont think you got phished in anyway.
edit on 27-12-2016 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Too bad you can't control your own addresses with coinbase, otherwise i would have just suggested to sweep them into another wallet that is 100% in your own control.

I have never used coinbase, but as far as I know (and read about it),as long as you didn't break their T&Cs (as in like gambling or dnm purchases) there is not much to worry about.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Dumbass

Yea all should be alright just a hassle. My suggestion is next time only ever send coins to your Coinbase account for a sale and immediately transfer to a personal core wallet after a purchase. Backup and keep personal keys on a usb stick.

new topics

top topics

join