It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iconic Star Wars Actress Carrie Fisher Dies at 60

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

originally posted by: Greggers

originally posted by: opethPA
Why is anyone responding to the GCoot? Some people are just the way they are and you can't discuss things with them so just walk away.

I personally didnt know Carrie Fisher, I have no personal feeling of sadness that she passed. It's of no more significance to me then if someone else I didnt know died. I do however know that lots of people liked watching her portrayal of a character in the Star Wars films and so her fans along with her family are sad because of it so like I said earlier , I hope they find some peace from it soon.

Im not sure why people think this year is any different then any other year though with deaths..10 years ago , and every subsequent Dec 27, celebrities and unknown people died. 10 years from now celebrities and unknown people will die on this day. It's no different then any other day since the dawn of time...someone , some place died.

I can't say for sure since I don't have any hard data, but I think it's because 2016 saw the passing of several icon level stars who had a much larger than typical impact on a common demographic (80s kids, in particular).

Prince, Glenn Frey, David Bowie, George Michael: That's almost HALF A BILLION albums right there. I can't think of another year like it, although losing a Beatle or someone like MJ might make it close.

To me that is just the normal flow of life..
Last year people died, next year people will die. Some will be famous but many more will not.
It's no more acute this year then any other year it's just the grim reaper doing what the grim reaper does, being repetitious.

All the same not trying to hijack a sympathy thread with esoteric debates on the statistics of death.

Of course it's the normal flow of life. And some years feel heavier than others from a pop culture perspective, for many reasons. I gave my speculation on the reasons for this year.

Just because people die all the time doesn't mean the impact will FEEL the same every year from a pop culture perspective. It's not like the Grim Reaper runs a magic equation to make sure the impact is always felt the same, by the same number of people, every single year.
edit on 27-12-2016 by Greggers because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Wow, George Michael and now Carrie Fisher is dead too. Feels like the end of the World

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagicCow
a reply to: Martin75

Big hugs love!!

We'll I'll be damned!

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInitial

Not any more.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   
To this day, I remember sitting in the old Liberty theatre in downtown Walla Walla, after having waited in line for almost three hours--Me, two sisters, two of their friends, and three of my friends--sitting down with our drinks and popcorn...

Then...

The lights went out, and the place went **silent**...no whispering, no one coughing or giggling. Nothing.

Then that spaceship flew onto the screen from god only knew where...

Then an even bigger one...

I was hooked. Completely and totally. Carrie Fisher was my first, nearly only, on screen crush. Without going into detail, she featured prominently in many an adolescent fantasy.

I saw that movie that summer dozens of times, I think. I shudder to guess how much of my paper route profits went down the tubes that summer... Several hundred, at the least.

Later comic books, some of which I still have... The books, very few of which I haven't read.

Great times. So, at the risk of sounding maudlin, thank you so very much from this still 13-14 year old boy who will forever remember his Princess.

Rest in Peace, Carrie Fisher.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Damn, awful news

RIP

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf>>>> 2016 was bad but here's hoping 2017 turns it around.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake

originally posted by: pirhanna
What the hell is wrong with you people that are happy someone died because they didnt share your political opinions. Jesus. That is some repugnant bs.

Exactly why I don't play this partisan circus. These example even make me more staunch against it. Those types should be ashamed.

Ashamed would mean they have the ability to empathise and share human emotional experiences. self reflection, etc.

Its the internet, its ATS, and so what you have is occasionally someone with mental disorders (sociopaths, autism, etc) sharing comments with their lack of human empathy. I see comments like that and sure, I get angry at how simply detatched from humanity they must be..then I realize they most likely are simply suffering some mental disorder and move on. They would probably feel just as indifferent if their mother died. Pity them (if you want), because they dont realize how wonderful (and terrible) being connected to humanity can be.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dutchowl
a reply to: Irishhaf>>>> 2016 was bad but here's hoping 2017 turns it around.

2016 was getting us ready for 2017

I foresee:
Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Arnold Swart..., Stan Lee, etc...

crappy times are ahead...lots of aging and sickly superstars we still love today.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Here is something to cheer people up

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Agreed in part but... as someone on the autistic spectrum ... can we not mention autism in the same breath as sociopaths?
Just a polite request. It's a bit of a myth - irrespective of what it says online - or at least misunderstanding, that those on the spectrum lack empathy. It's more about not being able to process (for some of us at least) specific social cues, which to us can seem arbitrary and counterintuitive, like much else about socializing. This makes us appear unconcerned at times, even if the reality couldn't be further from that in the moment.

We - none that I've known, nor myself at least - don't lack empathy. If anything, in my experience, we feel it extremely acutely. I know I can't bear for anyone to be sad or suffering in any way. Our inner worlds - including our concern for others - are extremely intense, often overwhelming, which is part of why we seem the way we do.

You'll note that I'm very saddened by her death, and I'm technically autistic.

While some who make such comments may be mentally ill or dealing with a cognitive or developmental disorder, I think many also just want to appear above it all... or have become so cynical, that there's an impulse to reject anything remotely sentimental. Because to be sentimental is to somehow be pretentious from their point of view. They've encountered pretension or hypocrisy so much, and they're so disillusioned, they project that cynicism on to others and assume no one could possibly be un-hypocritical or sincere in their sadness or mourning over a celebrity they never met.

I do agree it's worthy of some degree of pity, though. (As opposed to anger, let alone hate.) I just don't think all of them are mentally ill. Some likely are.

Peace.

edit on 12/28/2016 by AceWombat04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 02:19 AM
link   
2 scenes from The Blues Brothers, Carrie plays the jilted lover of Jake Blues (John Belushi)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 02:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: AceWombat04
can we not mention autism in the same breath as sociopaths?

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as me being negative. psychopaths are very different than autistic people. Whereas psychopaths have a general trait of no connection, autistic people have emotions just fine, but often have trouble identifying emotions, expressing them in socially acceptable ways, etc.

Anyhow, I dont think its just a cynical thing. a cynical person would be nhilistic at best..maybe give some gallows humor. Thats significantly different than someone happy for the death of someone beloved by most, a symbol of the pros and cons of hollywood and overcoming things such as addiction, mental health disorders, and a host of other life issues, simply because she had a different political stance. Thats..well, its psychotic

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

You're probably right, at least in a lot of cases. I guess I just want to hope for the best of people, even if it's not really there.

Peace.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 03:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: goou111
She has died RIP . She was only 60 That is way to young. I had her poster on my wall when I was a kid.

At least we got to see her play Leia one more time.

RIP Carrie Fisher.

The passing of Carrie Fisher and George Michael teaches us one important lesson: Don't do Coke.

You may feel on top of the world when you use it, but it may very well kill you down the line.
edit on 28-12-2016 by Uberdoubter because: MInor adjustment.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:16 AM
link   
May the Force be with you Carrie.

Prayers and warm thoughts to her loved ones and friends.

What a heart breaking year it's been.

And we have lost 2 of our original Star Wars cast members now.

I'll never forget the Princess...and I'll never forget her firing a machine gun at John Belushi in The Blues Brothers heh heh heh.

Good memories for a sad heat.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting

originally posted by: Martin75
RIP Princess Leia

Needs quoting every page she was so so beautiful.

Someone needs to say the obvious...she is average at best...better looking women are EVERYWHERE i go....

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

BS.
Average my arse....If we had a vote you would lose lol.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ParasuvO

originally posted by: testingtesting

originally posted by: Martin75
RIP Princess Leia

Needs quoting every page she was so so beautiful.

Someone needs to say the obvious...she is average at best...better looking women are EVERYWHERE i go....

Classy.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: GCoot
a reply to: goou111

She shouldn't have talked trash about my guy Trump. No sympathy here, I prefer a reality without her in it.

>>>>> I smell a shill. Can't you pretend to be a Trekky instead of a Trump supporter? You guys would do anything for money, huh?

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join